Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't install new versions of foobar2000, HELP (Read 1171 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't install new versions of foobar2000, HELP

Recently, I tried using foobar2000 to convert some game music, but I kept getting a message saying "Access denied" that I've never gotten until now. I was using 1.4.6 for a couple years, so I figured maybe I needed to reinstall a newer version to fix that, but now, no matter what version of foobar2000 I try to install, all I get is an error message saying "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

I'm at my wit's end here. Can anyone help me out?

Re: Can't install new versions of foobar2000, HELP

Reply #1
Hmm,
Is it a portable or installation install mode?

Reply #2
I'm using it on my desktop computer (sorry if I don't understand some super-techie terms), if that helps.

Reply #3
If I were you, I would check if it is possible to save any file in Program Files. Does installing programs other than foobar2000 work correctly?

Reply #4
I just installed a new version of Goldwave, as an example, and that worked just fine. I'm not an expert at this, so I don't know what the problem could possibly be.

Reply #5
Could it be antivirus that's messing with the install?
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #6
Initially, I just get the Microsoft Defender notice (the official foobar site says that's to be expected), then I choose to run the .exe file anyway, and then I get the error message saying that it's corrupt and unreadable, no matter which version of foobar I try to install. Should I try to disable Microsoft Defender before I try again?

Reply #7
Download the latest foobar2000 again from foobar's website and then try again.

Reply #8
HOLY CRAP IT'S WORKING AGAIN!! I don't know what might have happened, but this time I regular-clicked the download for the .exe file (before this, I right-clicked and did "save file as" so I could put it in the folder that has all my music and stuff in it). I was actually able to install the latest version of foobar, and everything's working fine again!!

Reply #9
Good to hear that u got it installed