Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What lossy formats do you use on a *regular* basis?

AAC or HE-AAC v1,v2 (.m4a, .aac…)
[ 122 ] (24%)
LossyWAV + lossless (.lossy.flac, .lossy.wv, .lossy.tak…)
[ 15 ] (2.9%)
MP3 (.mp3)
[ 194 ] (38.1%)
Musepack (.mpc)
[ 23 ] (4.5%)
Ogg Vorbis (.ogg)
[ 62 ] (12.2%)
Opus (.opus)
[ 45 ] (8.8%)
WavPack lossy (.wv)
[ 8 ] (1.6%)
AC3 Dolby Digital (AC-3, E-AC-3)
[ 10 ] (2%)
Other lossy format
[ 5 ] (1%)
I don't really use any lossy codec on a regular basis
[ 25 ] (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 333

Topic: 2015 format poll (Read 33768 times) previous topic - next topic

2015 format poll

Reply #50
FLAC for archival purposes.  I'm one of the outliers that still use musepack for mobile purposes (also because I've been too lazy to re-rip about 1000 CD's to FLAC that I ripped to MPC back in 2002/2003).  Once in a while I'll convert mpc or flac to LAME for my car mp3-cd player but usually only use LAME if sharing some music with friends.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

2015 format poll

Reply #51
I can't manage to vote, I get some kind of an error. Is it because my account is too fresh ?

That's strange.  Your account isn't too new.  Probably it should be reported to admins.

2015 format poll

Reply #52
This topic should be probably moved to  "Poll" subforum. For some reason it's impossible to create a poll there. That's why it was done in "General Audio"

2015 format poll

Reply #53
I vote mp3 and vorbis for lossy. I haven't really tried the others because these have always worked well enough for me  I don't have a lot of lossless stuff due to drive space limitations, but what I do have is in FLAC. It's quite good so I don't have enough motivation to experiment with the other formats much.

2015 format poll

Reply #54
i use opus as my main format since 130kbps sounds fully transparent to me. as for flac i use it for archive only. as for the other formats like mp3/vorbis/aac i dont use them because for odd reason they collapse when i encode allot my noise stuff to them an the only way that seems to fix that is a bitrate higher than 256k, with aac being the worst since it collapses at even 256k on few tracks.

2015 format poll

Reply #55
MP3 (mostly v5) for Google Music and the USB slot on the car just because that's what they take.

Opus (typically 65 kb/s, or 10-20 kb for voice)  for files  that I manually store on the phone.  My phone automatically defaults to VOIP over WiFi for calls when available with Opus as the codec as well.

Mostly vorbis and mpc on the PC's local drive and Sansa Rockbox player.

2015 format poll

Reply #56
Same as every other year for me  MP3/FLAC.

I've not felt a need to change. FLAC on my server just because space is cheap, with bigger microSD cards and a rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip I use FLAC on that now. For the car my new stereo takes SD cards and seeing as my car is rather noisy I stick with MP3.

2015 format poll

Reply #57
For archival I use FLAC.
For stereo bulk material and mobile usage I use OPUS (bitrate of 48k - 96k depending on the complexity and my personal preference) and for material with higher emotional value and multi-channel material (music and movies) bitrates are 160k average but may rise to ~ 256k.
Previously I used Vorbis for bulk material and AAC for movies, but OPUS has replaced both.
Ratio between FLAC and OPUS usage is about 1 to 99.

2015 format poll

Reply #58
MP3

2015 format poll

Reply #59
I take everything back from my other post.

musepack at q7 for everything.

mp3 at V0 and 320 for compatibility.

flac for archiving.

2015 format poll

Reply #60
Ugh. 268 votes. It's quite low.

Maybe the topic should be moved to poll section or make it sticky.

2015 format poll

Reply #61
I only use Ogg Vorbis because of certain quirks with my mobile device's music app and its ReplayGain abilities. Otherwise, I'd use AAC. foobar2000 Mobile, where you at?
Project Leader of DDResampled

2015 format poll

Reply #62
A mix of Flac and Alac for the most part.
I have a few rare albums in mp3 but I'm presently replacing those for higher quality encodes.

I don't really mind the space used by my lossless collection since hard disk space is cheap even though I have my collection duplicated to an offline 4tb hard disk for security reason.

I'm not a big music streaming/downloader prefering to buy a physical copy, but I do rip for convenience sakes since I can then access my music all through the house.

2015 format poll

Reply #63
FLAC = King, it plays on all kinds of android based devices and even a lot of blu ray players (including mine). Mostly since space is not the issue i use the uncompressed setting in the latest DBPowerAmp.
TAK : I love this format to me its new still experimenting with this but i love that it has compression and encoding speeds on par with Monkey's Audio/WavPack and FLAC so you have the best of both worlds.
DVD-A : Still use this format almost all pioneer blu ray players can playback these discs and the MLP format. Only using it for archiving precious studio masters.
Using DiscWelder Bronze + MLP Surcode.

Opus : i just love this relativly new lossy codec a lot.

2015 format poll

Reply #64
I actually wonder why AAC has so many votes while Vorbis has so few. Could someone enlighten me?
audiophile // flac & wavpack, mostly // using too many audio players

2015 format poll

Reply #65
AAC has better quality, it's supported everywhere and it requires less power to decode on portable devices.

2015 format poll

Reply #66
According to last year's listening test, AAC and Vorbis are quite on-par with their quality. My MP3 player supports Vorbis but not AAC. Just wondering...
audiophile // flac & wavpack, mostly // using too many audio players

2015 format poll

Reply #67
In the test Apple's AAC beat Vorbis despite using lower bitrate. The samples I tested I also rated AAC higher than Opus.
AAC works out-of-the-box in Windows, OS X, iOS and Android. That should cover most users.

2015 format poll

Reply #68
I got a new car that only supports MP3, WMA and WAV. Gone is my Vorbis preference (unless I maintain multiple libraries). It kills me to not have gapless support in the car. I get frustrated every time I listen to Slipknot or Operation: Mindcrime. This rant adds nothing to the conversation, but I needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.
--
Eric

2015 format poll

Reply #69
At home:

FLAC -5  (archive/playback)

At work:

Opus -vbr 96  (limited space on the computer itself)

On my phone / Sony Walkman:

AAC tvbr -q90  (quicktime, because this is fully supported)
foobar2000, FLAC, and qAAC -V90
It just works people!