Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The best file format for my movies? (Read 5949 times) previous topic - next topic

The best file format for my movies?

Hi,

Firstly, Thankyou for any help. I am new here and it seems like a great forum.
My question involves converting my DVD's for playback.

Can anyone reccomend the best format to convert my DVD's for playback via VLC on the AppleTV.
My files are stored on a NAS.

I currently have my movies backed up as ISO's but now need a file format that will be compatible with VLC on the AppleTV and be the best quality.
I just need the movie but would prefer to have the multi channel sound if possible too and be the closest to the original quality.

I'm lost as to what format to choose. Ideally something that can just play and not need transcoding? (is that the word?) would be good to minimise efforts on the NAS.

Thankyou for your help.

Re: The best file format for my movies?

Reply #1
You should be able to remux (no transcoding) main movie to mkv, using mkvtoolnix or similar.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #2
Thankyou for the quick replies. Much appreciated.

So it looks like MKV is the way to go for the best quality and content.
I'm not fussed about saving Hard drive space, got plenty of it.

Looking forward to setting it up.
My system will be NAS to my local network, AppleTV with VLC app, and accessing the NAS via VLC to play my movies.

Thanks again. Great forum!

Reply #3
VLC on PC "plays" ISO files - have you tried playing one on the AppleTV?
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #4
I'm pretty sure VLC can play files in the original format if you just copy the (non-encrypted) VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive. 

Reply #5
Hi Nick,

Unfortunately even though VLC plays ISO's on computers, Apple have banned it in their terms and conditions.
So even though it would be capable for VLC, they've had to be without this to be available on the app store which is annoying.

Reply #6
Handbrake comes with built in presets for generating Apple TV compatible videos...

Reply #7
Handbrake comes with built in presets for generating Apple TV compatible videos...

+1 to this suggestion, Handbrake comes with a set of very sensible presets and is relatively easy to use.