Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HD 280 Pro not satisfied (Read 24739 times) previous topic - next topic

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #50
If higher at the low hz means higher bass then it´s one big difference;S

The Y-scale is in decibels — higher is louder. Most important is the region between ~90 and ~200 Hz, where you'll find the most meaningful bass information in most genres. You can see that the HD280 is slightly 'deficient' in this region, according to Headroom's measurements, whereas the the DT770, for example, has some significant emphasis. The HD280 has very reasonable bass extension, but it does not emphasize that region. The DT770 therefore will portray bass much more strongly than the HD280. The DT770 is a fair choice assuming you can stomach that much bass.

I can´t understand how high the other headphones are then, cause i have never heard this over cleary sound before.

This is a psychoacoustic effect.

Hmm i see, well the HD280 just doesn´t give the Bass i need, and not sure about the dt770 if it´s a monster;S
Normally i have never really complained about the bass and such lacking, so this is new for me, but i guess the HD280 is supposed to be like that as a monitor headphone.

But i have read good reviews about the SRH840, which seems to have pretty nice freq around the 100+, but i read some say that it can easily fall off, and that makes me very doubtful of them;S

EDIT:

I read some more, and i now see that people complain on them for the same reason i complain HD280, it´s lack of bass and over treble. The Neutral sound or what it´s called;O

What is this, psychoacoustic effect?

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #51
EMU 0404 probably won't be suitable to drive phones with low or middle impedance.
EMU cards have Zo 22 ohms and there is a rule of thumb "Zo should be less than 1/8 of Zphones". EMU cards are suitable to drive phones with impedance of 200 ohms and higher. 280pro has 64 ohms.

Hi!
I have EMU 1616M soundcard with HD 280 Pro headphones and I decided to ask you how an output impedance affects the sound. I can't say I don't like sound from my HD 280 Pros but I definately want to know how to make it better if I'll want to do it sometimes.
Thanks for your original post;

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.ar/2011/02/hea...-impedance.html

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #54
Do i really need to have an Amplifier when i play on my computer?
Will it really make that much a difference;O?

I read about the ATH-M50 and one said he and a friend compared it to 280 after some burn in, and they immediatly noticed that the 280 lacked the Bass.

I own both, like both, use both almost daily, and don't get this comment at all.

Anyone know if it´s better?

Umm I'd say less bass and brightness in the M50s.

How is it for long time use?

Poorer seal, less bass in the M50s.

And well the one i had before had very good sound, not over treble over anything. Good bass, and they were very comfortable, and they were closed.

Maybe the hd 280 has accurate bass, but if so it´s to Clear for me, i want bass to be bass, not just one punch and very crispy clear.

Add an equalizer, preferably parametric.

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #55
(I'm responding mostly to the stuff at the beginning of the thread)
From my experience, I believe the major portion of the burn-in effect is not based in the hardware.

I have multiple headphones which I use (HD 215, HD 490, HD 238, HD 380, superlux HD 668, Samsung OEM earbuds). All of them took some time to get used to. I hadn't used some of those for a long time in the past (and got used to the other one/s) and had to "burn them in" again, which actually meant getting used to the different sound (from the HW point they were already played a lot).

I can imagine when you're used to something which you really like, you will have hard time getting over the differences and switch to something else. My experience is that once you cross a certain price level and enter the high-end, the sound is more about opinion/individual taste than about objective measurements.

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #56
(I'm responding mostly to the stuff at the beginning of the thread)
From my experience, I believe the major portion of the burn-in effect is not based in the hardware.

I have multiple headphones which I use (HD 215, HD 490, HD 238, HD 380, superlux HD 668, Samsung OEM earbuds). All of them took some time to get used to. I hadn't used some of those for a long time in the past (and got used to the other one/s) and had to "burn them in" again, which actually meant getting used to the different sound (from the HW point they were already played a lot).

I can imagine when you're used to something which you really like, you will have hard time getting over the differences and switch to something else. My experience is that once you cross a certain price level and enter the high-end, the sound is more about opinion/individual taste than about objective measurements.

Well you may very well be right, as despite complaining about them, i am starting to like how it sounds now;S
It´s pretty weird, but good;O

But about the Amplification, does it make a nice difference of these 60 ohm headphones?
And which is cheap and good ( i don´t Want Hiss sound or something added).
And does it replace my soundcard, or is it just like a passthrough thing?

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #57
Do you know the brand/type of the integrated sound card you're using? In case you don't know, you may download and run the CPU-Z application which will tell you what motherboard you have, and then google for the specs.

If you have a fairly recent integrated audio, it may be already good enough and there's no need for an amplifier (which is a pass-through thing and does not replace your sound card). Unless you need it louder than the maximum volume setting of your sound card.

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #58
Here it is:

VIA® VT1828S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Absolute Pitch BD192/24
- DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
- BD audio layer Content Protection
- Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-Retasking
- Optical S/PDIF out ports at back I/O

Sadly it doesn´t say a thing to me, just that it has 192khz and 24 bit, some bluray audio thing, and optical output;S

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #60
another + for DT 770 (comfort + bass), however personally i like senn 280 better.

p.s. ears (or something) do adapt however, i have no problems listening to grados sr60 this days (i do remember being annoyed by the high middle range at start ... - they sounded like inverted DT 770).
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #61
Your sound card looks good. If I were you, I would try to compare it to some other source (like a CD or DVD player) and if you don't find any problems, I would just use it as it is.

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #62
Your sound card looks good. If I were you, I would try to compare it to some other source (like a CD or DVD player) and if you don't find any problems, I would just use it as it is.

I tried it on my Mobile Phone (Samsung, Android).
And well, sounded pretty much the same as the PC, didn´t notice any real difference;O

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #63
another + for DT 770 (comfort + bass), however personally i like senn 280 better.

Some years back I tried a friend's pair of DT 770. In my personal opinion, the highs were much too pronounced, in an ear-splitting way. Morale: audition before buying.

I also recommend EQing to taste. If your phones are lacking bass, they are the ones being "unpure"! Show 'em who's boss and EQ them to purity! Want more bass? Go ahead, Dr. Dre approves.

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #64
I tried it on my Mobile Phone (Samsung, Android).
And well, sounded pretty much the same as the PC, didn´t notice any real difference;O

Badly mastered music?

HD 280 Pro not satisfied

Reply #65
Well, I meant comparing it to a device which is more likely to have a good headphone output (and which is primarily made for music listening, like a stand-alone CD player). Some reference source which you know is good enough. (This applies to both the HW and music used in the test).

I'm not saying that portable players have to be worse but they're more likely to feature HW compromises due to the form factor and power requirements.