Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DATE does not show YEAR tag (Read 5110 times) previous topic - next topic

DATE does not show YEAR tag

Hello,
I am new to foobar2000 and happy to have finally made the step. I am currently adding year-tags to my mp3 library of classical music. However, foobar does not show them. At first, I tried to substitute the date-column with a year-column until I realized the year-tag of mp3tag corresponds to the date-tag of foobar. Now, after a restart and re-initializing the media library, foobar still does not show the year in the properties dialogue or a column.
What am I doing wrong? Any help is very much appreciated.

EDIT: Okay, this is strange. For mp3-files I've just added to the library, the year is displayed perfectly. I edited the tags with mp3tag and chose to let the "last modified"-date intact. So foobar apparently does not detect new tag fields from files that do not have a newer "last modified"-date. How can I force it to re-read the whole library?
EDIT2: Can I remove/delete the library, restart foobar, add it again and my statistics are preserved?

Re: DATE does not show YEAR tag

Reply #1
Add all trhose files to a single playlist. Then you can mark all affected files on the playlist, right click on them and choose "Tagging -> Reload info from file(s)".

Reply #2
Thank you! I could not find "Tagging" in the context menu of the files in the playlist, but there was "Tools -> Reload infos" in the Properties dialogue, and this finally did work out! /edit

Reply #3
Sounds strange maybe you or maybe I have some 3rd party component which modifies this... But remember - if you go to Preferences -> Display -> Context menu , then you can enable/disable certain rightclick commands... Maybe I enabled something or you have disabled something there in the past.

Reply #4
Thanks again, I indeed disabled this option as I knew I wouldn't want to tag files with foobar!

Reply #5
OK, understood. But you know that you can also choose which subitems will be present? You can thus limit "Tagging" section to contain only "Reload info (...)" if you need - just click that white triangle next to "Tagging" and uncheck what you don't need, leaving "Reload (...)". Looks like this may be function that you will be needing quite often, if for some weird reason you prefer to keep the modification date of retagged file to be left intact...

Reply #6
Thanks for elaborating on this.
I started building my mp3 library almost ten years ago and the oldest files were last modified back then. It is stunning to be able to sort my files by these dates; mostly they correspond to the date I bought the CD and allow me to see the progress of my exploration of the classical repertoire. When I now start adding year tags to every file and they will all be last modified in 2018, there will be no way to get this sorting back. So I am very glad mp3tag allows me to keep the modification date intact.

Reply #7
Honestly for this purpose I just added my own tag named "Date added" and I made it one of standard fields in foobar (I love this feature :) . And I simply fill it in manually, each time something is added to my library. I even configured EAC to add it automatically to newly ripped files after filling it in in one of available fields of EAC GUI (you need to set correct field mappings and add them as command line parameters for used compressor - in my case for flac.exe). I think that right now you can transfer modification dates to such tag fields using both foobar and MP3Tag capabilities.
Having such tag you can make a custom column from it and then simply sort everything by this column...

Reply #8
Thanks again, I indeed disabled this option as I knew I wouldn't want to tag files with foobar!

You will find all those things by Shift+right click.

Non-fb2k tip:
If you do not want any other applications to touch your file timestamps, then give the file ownership to some other user (Administrator would be the lazy choice), and give your default user merely read access. Then run Mp3tag as administrator.

Reply #9
Porcus, that's extreme audiophilia :P