Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DVD/CD Burner choice... (Read 13334 times) previous topic - next topic

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #25
So what do you want to do with your new drive ?

If you were up to pure DVD writing, the NEC2500A would be the best choice (don't really trust LG at that time due to bad experience with the 4040B) ... but this drive does not shine when it comes to DAE quality or protected discs. The Benq 800/820 would be good choices, too (although the 820's firmware isn't quite right at this time).

If you were up to mostly DAE with occasional DVD writing on quality media like MCC or TY, the Plextor 708A (712A) should be it ... as an addition, you can backup Safedisc 2.9 IIRC and can benefit from Plextools Pro for DAE.

If you want decent ripping, low price and low/random DVD writing quality, go for a LiteOn x11S, x51S or x12S ... take a look at the cdfreaks LiteOn forums ... even the LiteOn zealots are showing skepticism there.

And you should be aware of the fact that you will pay twice the licensing fees (+R/-R) if you decide to go for a multiformat (+R/-R) burner ... maybe the BenQ 800 (+R/+RW only) would be a good choice since it has some "walking optimum power calibration" that will help to produce quality burns.

My choice would be to buy a NEC2500 along with a good audio ripper (maybe a LiteOn DVD drive) ... together, you will pay less compared to a single PX708A.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #26
My choice would be to buy a NEC2500 along with a good audio ripper (maybe a LiteOn DVD drive) ... together, you will pay less compared to a single PX708A.

Thanks for the advice!  My only problem is that as I stated before, I'm a laptop user.  Any drive I buy will have to be put in an enclosure.  I'd rather keep the clutter to a minimum.

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #27
Any of these internal drives can be put in an external usb2 or firewire enclosure.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #28
Any of these internal drives can be put in an external usb2 or firewire enclosure.

I know...  I just meant that I'd rather not have 2 drives like JeanLuc suggested.

Thanks JeanLuc for a great breakdown!

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #29
If you could get 2 external USB2.0 enclosures (maybe a good deal over ebay or similar), you could realise the best possible solution without spending too much money ...

I can get an external 5,25'' enclosure for 50€ apiece in my preferred store

That would add up to:

2 Enclosures - 100€
1 DVD-ROM (LiteOn 167T) - 30€
1 DVD/RW (NEC 2500A) - 90€

Sum: 220€

Alternative (one drive only, one enclosure)

1 Enclosure - 50€
1 DVD/RW (Plextor PX708A) - 150€

Sum: 200€

For 20 extra bucks, you could get a second enclosure, a second, good-ripping DVD drive AND definitely (in terms of writing quality and media compatibility) the better DVD writer ...

Think about it ... ;-)
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #30
JeanLuc, I want to have a cheap internal drive for best ripping (a Plextor would be good 'cause of Plextools) that handles copy-protected discs flawlessly (e.g. CDS200) and a (very) good and cheap DVD-Burner, that can handle DVD+/-R(W).it should at least  have the ability to burn 8x. or should I wait for DL?
I've heared that possibly some DVD-Burners that only handle single-layer-burning could be upgraded through firmware-update to burn DVD-DL then. is that true or unlikely?
Could you please -of course the others, too, provide me with some information on that and perhaps with some links because I am missing a toplist on CDR-Info.com.

I want it all but cheap! haha! is that possible?

edit: i've had a look at many threads like

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....est,and,plextorhttp://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=20&t=14324&st= , http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....est,and,plextor and http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....est,and,plextor

(and some more) but I'm quite confused. so, which brand to choose, which model and what are the advantages of Plextor compared to e.g. LiteOn or other brands?
what are the crucial advantages of Plextools compared to EAC along with K-Probe?
IIRC for CDS200 flawless C2-error correction is a must. which drives provide that? (bearing in mind my above post)

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #31
The important advantages PlexTools Pro has over EAC are its tremendous speed and accuracy.

PTP will produce the same WAVs as properly configured EAC in Secure Mode. The difference is it will be 3-4 times quicker and you won't need to mess around with various settings (like offsets).

I also have a couple CDs with long, deep, thin, nasty scratches that EAC takes up to half an hour per affected track to rip in Secure mode. PTP does those tracks in 3-4 minutes.

My experience is based on two Plextor Premiums I've had (one is sold now, 'cause the bezel plate was white while the case of my Box is black =). The older 40/12/40A was not as good DAE-wise but it didn't come with PlexTools Pro either.

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #32
so, could you recommend a (older) Plextor drive that comes with PTP and that has surpassing DAE capabilities to me?
or perhaps another brand?

has anyone of you eperience with following DL-DVD burners?

- Mad Dog Megastor MD-8XDVD9
- LG GSA-4120B
- NEC ND-2510A
- Sony DRU-700A
- Teac DV-W58E (Dual Layer)

edit: are there any PTP alternatives?

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #33
The important advantages PlexTools Pro has over EAC are its tremendous speed and accuracy.

PTP will produce the same WAVs as properly configured EAC in Secure Mode. The difference is it will be 3-4 times quicker and you won't need to mess around with various settings (like offsets).

I also have a couple CDs with long, deep, thin, nasty scratches that EAC takes up to half an hour per affected track to rip in Secure mode. PTP does those tracks in 3-4 minutes.

My experience is based on two Plextor Premiums I've had (one is sold now, 'cause the bezel plate was white while the case of my Box is black =). The older 40/12/40A was not as good DAE-wise but it didn't come with PlexTools Pro either.

WOW!  Really!  How does it compare with EAC on encoding, tagging, and gap options?  Is there any way a non-Plextor user can at least open up the application to see what it is all about.  I still haven't bought my drive, so this is fascinating info for me.

In the Validated News, I see that PlexTools is available for download:
PlexTools Professional 2.14 released

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #34
WOW!  Really!  How does it compare with EAC on encoding, tagging, and gap options?  Is there any way a non-Plextor user can at least open up the application to see what it is all about.  I still haven't bought my drive, so this is fascinating info for me.

PTP's DAE tool boasts few configurable options, compared to EAC. Have a look at the PTP Reference Guide to see what options are offered.
Encoding to MP3 is supported via LAME.DLL or ACM. I haven't tested the ACM, but there is no support for --alt-presets via the DLL. As of this writing, john33's  hardwired DLL with .ini config does encode something very similar to presets, but no LAME header is written.
Gap support can be toggled on or off. With it ON and the "Include Pause" option checked, the output is identical to EAC's "Append Gaps to Previous Track".

Thus, until next hardwired DLL release, the DAE Tool is little more than a no-frills ripper (albeit a very fast and accurate one). Then again, the tool is only one of PTP's functions.

In the Validated News, I see that PlexTools is available for download:
PlexTools Professional 2.14 released

Plextor only offers upgrade versions for download, but the above-mentioned guide is  very well illustrated and will give you a  good idea of what it is like.

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #35
Thus, until next hardwired DLL release, the DAE Tool is little more than a no-frills ripper (albeit a very fast and accurate one). Then again, the tool is only one of PTP's functions.

So if I wanted to use PTP like I use EAC I would just rip to wav and then use the flac front end and a tagger program.  Is there a way with PTP to rip a "hidden" track in the pre-gap?

DVD/CD Burner choice...

Reply #36
I don't recall having such a CD in my collection, so I cannot give you a definite answer.