Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: caudec: a multiprocess audio converter for Linux and OS X (Read 26829 times) previous topic - next topic

caudec: a multiprocess audio converter for Linux and OS X

Reply #25
caudec 1.6.0 was released two weeks ago, with many new features.
There's also a new website: caudec.outpost.fr. The googlecode.com website will no longer be updated.
Version 1.6.1 was released yesterday, with the only change from 1.6.0 being updated URLs for the project.

Reply #26
I just released version 1.6.3 (see the changelog).
The most notable improvement is OS X fixes (thanks to TheLink).

Reply #27
Thanks for this.  I'm using it on my Shuttle XS35GT (Atom D510 1.66GHz dual core hyperthreaded) to convert FLAC -8 to Ogg Vorbis -V 5.

Using Oggenc2.87 aoTuVb6.03 (Lancer SSE3 x64 windows build from rarewares), single core encoding gives me around 9x, while caudec yields 30x.

I realise this is pretty sedate by modern standards, but it's not bad for a 29w fanless netbook!

Reply #28
Yeah, I've used caudec on my netbook a lot, too. The CPU (Intel Atom) is so slow, it does make a significant difference. I also ran a silly experiment a while ago, where I got my netbook to endode FLACs faster (with two concurrent processes, using Flake) than my AMD Phenom CPU running FLAC with a single process :-P

Reply #29
Version 1.6.4 has a pretty cool feature for dealing with 2 mirrored music collections (e.g. lossless and lossy) at the same time: you can now specify a destination directory (with -o/O/P) after each -c parameter, in order to set per-codec directories. The files will then be written in the correct locations, without any further intervention. Example:

Code: [Select]
$ caudec -c wv -P "/data/wavpack" -c mp3 -P "/data/mp3" "Artist/Album [Year]"/*.flac

That command will transcode to both WavPack and MP3 at the same time. The resulting WavPacks will be written to "/data/wavpack/Artist/Album [Year]", and the MP3s will be written in "/data/mp3/Artist/Album [Year]".

Reply #30
Version 1.7.0 is out, with the longest changelog to date. Of note is the new -z parameter which produces machine-parsable output. Since I asked for it from other developers, it's only natural that I would put my money where my mouth is.

Reply #31
Thanks Scamp, that's just awesome and useful! I appreciate all the hard work you put into caudec that makes my collection so much easier to manage.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Reply #32
That's always nice to hear

Edit: you shouldn't have any problems with multichannel files now (for WavPack, just use version 4.70.0 beta). You will now be able to transcode them as is, and optionally downsample (-b, -r) or downmix them to stereo (-2).

Reply #33
And it just gets better and better! Thank you!

Reply #35
It went back up about half an hour later, after a technician intervened on it. I'm having some problems with the new server, I'm trying to sort it out.

Reply #36
Server problems seem to be fixed. I released caudec 1.7.1. The biggest change is the replacement of apetag, which wasn't cutting it anymore, with my own tagger, APEv2. It supports the entire specs, including NULL separated lists, embedded artwork and binary data. See the changelog.

Reply #38
I just tried converting a bunch of .wav files to .wv and caudec errors out if I use -c: it does encode the file, but does not write it to the output directory. If I use -C, encoding works.
First time using it, so I can only speculate it doesn't like the (lack of) tags in .wav. Those files were created by converting .tak files in deadbeef-git.

I'm on 1.7.5 according to the arch linux package.

Reply #39
.According to the home page, the last update was almost a year ago. Is the project dead Skamp?