Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD vs iTunes: What is the best ripper? (Read 7036 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD vs iTunes: What is the best ripper?

Hi,

I know that here most of the people love quality sound and quality rip.

My question is simple:

- Do you think that a CD ripped with XLD will "sound" better than the iTunes (with correction error) ripped version?

Mosto of the people tell me that iTunes is a worse CD ripper and the best solution is the use of XLD or EAC and after that convert the file to the desired format (mp3, ogg, aac...)

True?

Reply #1
You seem to be missing the point in so many of your posts - or maybe it's a language translation problem.

The choice of ripper has nothing to do with "sounding better" - the sound is the same regardless of the ripper, provided that the rip is accurate. However, iTunes doesn't let you know if a rip has errors and provides no mechanism for independent checking, whereas EAC / dBPoweramp / XLD all give you feedback, and they give you the opportunity for AccurateRip checking, so you can decide if your rip is a good one.

Edit: Corrected to reflect the fact that XLD also supports AccurateRip. Every day's a school day.

Reply #2
Ok, but I think that XLD and other ripper as EAC can assure more reliability with an error proof engine.

If I have a CD and I will rip:

- With XLD/EAC----> I'm sure that if the log give me a 100 % quality, I have a 1:1 lossless copy

- With iTunes-----> The result can be 1:1 the CD, but not sure, and the error correction can deteriorate the quality

P.S: XLD use AccurateRip to give more accuracy

Reply #4
XLD provides much better options to ensure an accurate rip.

But only highly inaccurate rips are going to sound ‘worse’, and it’ll probably be not a subtle difference but a blatantly obvious one.

Reply #6
Pre-Emphasis?

But exist today some CD with pre-emphasis?

I know that only a few CD of 1989-1990 use it.

Reply #7
It’s not common, but it’s not impossible to find either. You may want to search for previous discussions here; I think some people have reported finding CDs of their own with FLAGS PRE set.

Anyway, you needn’t worry: in response to Porcus, XLD supports writing FLAGS PRE to the output cuesheet since late 2009.

Reply #8
In conclusion XLD support pre-emphasis and rip all the "data" of a CD audio