Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Play in foobar2000" disfunct for multiple files (Read 17444 times) previous topic - next topic

"Play in foobar2000" disfunct for multiple files

Hi,

I have updated to 0.8 and now the fb2k context menu within the explorer doesn't work correct anymore.

What's still possible: play/enqueue one folder and play/enqueue one single file.

What's not possible anymore: play/enqueue multiple files and play/enqueue multiple folders.

Hope it get fixed, too, with the next release.

Reply #1
I tried to enqueue some mpc files and I got a big warning about slow down.  I pressed 'ok' and nothing happened. I then launced Foobar again and it had lost all my playlists.

Tony

Reply #2
Try enabling (or disabling) DDE Support in preferences - core.

Enqueueing several files at once works here.

What operating system are you using?

Reply #3
I have the same problem (I believe), but it is not foobar's fault. Enqueueing several files at once opens the 'move file' dialogue for each file (very annoying). Yesterday I also had a warning about slow down but today not anymore  .

The same happens when I open start menu -> programs and rightclick any entry and choose 'open'. Same 'file move' dialogue. Appearently it is a windows bug (IIRC I had read about that issue).

I am using Windows XP SP1.
Always defragment your MP3s to avoid subtle lack in harmonics.

Reply #4
I have the same problem (I believe), but it is not foobar's fault. Enqueueing several files at once opens the 'move file' dialogue for each file (very annoying).

exactly the same problem here
but i think for me its not 0.8 specific, got the problem since foobar 0.6 i think

maybe its not foobar specific but results of some misconfiguration of win xp (sp1)
i can only drag n drop multiple files to foobar

any help would be appreciated

Reply #5
Try enabling (or disabling) DDE Support in preferences - core.

No effect.

Enqueueing several files at once works here.

What operating system are you using?

Sorry, I forgot that. I'm using Windows XP SP1 + latest updates, of course.

I can give you  a more detailed description, too. What really doesn't work isn't playing several files at once (selecting some files, the files get passed over to fb2k, everything in the default tab gets replaced by the new files, fb2k starts playing.). The context menu entries "Play in foobar..." and "Enqueue in foobar..." are not working with more than one selection anymore since I have installed 0.8.

When I select multiple files and double-click the selection, e.g. click file "yxc.mp3", holding shift while clicking file "xcv.mp3", then while still holding shift double click one of those selected files, foobar starts to play the new selected files, like I said in the third sentence.

So maybe there's something messed up with how foobar registers itself into the explorer context menu. Maybe it has nothing to do with foobar installation and is some other XP problem, but maybe it not.

It would be great if this issue could get resolved with the next release by changing the way the foobar installer changes those explorer registry entries, maybe as a precaution rewriting larger parts of these registry trees (or whatever the context menu is configured) to prevent this behaviour.

I will now try to de-install and re-install foobar2000. Maybe it helps: context menu entries get deleted completely and then get rewritten from scratch... No effect, sorry. Still context menu is broken.

Edit: Ok, I finally found out that it's most likely not a foobar2000 problem: First I de-installed 0.8 again, then installed 0.7.7b. Same effect. It didn't work anymore. Then I tried to use the "Play in ..." entry of another player (modplug player) with a multiple selection. The same thing happened as with foobar: nothing. So my explorer context menu got messed up somehow. I have a very similar problem like Tri and Scheisen2000, I guess.

Now, I don't know what to do. 

Reply #6
Hmm, I'm not 100% sure of what I did, but now it works again.

Maybe because I changed to 0.8.1 beta 2. But more likely it's because I installed it twice. First I disabled "Directory context menu" in the "Choose Components" page of the foobar installer during install. Then I installed it again with "Directory context menu" enabled. This was it, context menu fixed.

As I wrote in an earlier post, maybe it is a good idea to let the installer always do a clean re-install of the context menu entries. For now if the "Directory context menu" was checked in the Previous type of install the explorer context menu entries are left untouched (I suppose), and so are any eventually broken entries, too.

Any fb2k developer who knows what the installer does at this situation, should reply here with a comment about this. Would be nice to get things clear.

Reply #7
i've tried everything.
maybe i should mention, that the same problem appears adding multiple files to mediaplayer or winamp.
last thing i tried, was uninstalling foobar and winamp and than deleting all left entries in the registry manualy.

when i reinstall foobar, there is the same problem again:
when i pick two files/directories in explorer and choose play or enque in foobar from context menu the copy file AND the move file dialogue appear twice. when i do the same with three files the dialogues appear each three times and so on...

so i really think its not foobar specific because it also appears with winamp and mp.

this is so annoying, hope anyone can help even it seems not to be related directly to foobar

Reply #8
I hate to bring back old threads to the front, but since after half a year I finally found the reason for this error, it's more than OK to do it.

1. It happened again. Again I first noticed it because foobar2000 wasn't able to load multiple files anymore.

2. I searched the web again. Half a year ago, I did find nothing. Now I found this page: Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers. My problem matches this: "When you select multiple files and right click and open / print nothing happens. (Selecting a single file in explorer and right click and open / print it works fine)"

3. I used method 2 and used ShellExView to pinpoint the program messing up my context menu: WhoLockMe.

So foobar2000 is not to blame, which I noticed real quick anyway, you can see that if you read my former posts carefully. Why a re-install of foobar2000 with context-menu option turned off and then another re-install with this option turned on helped, I don't know. Maybe I have uninstalled/re-installed WhoLockMe in the meantime or deleted the folder it was in making it non-functional.

So this problem had nothing to do with foobar2000 in particular, although bogus context menu handler can definitely affect foobar2000 as well, and therefor doensn't really belong on this forum, but I think it's only fair to post the solution to this problem anyway.

Reply #9
Hmmm.

This has just broken for me with the newest version of 0.9.

Reply #10
Hmmm.

This has just broken for me with the newest version of 0.9.

Queue-it-up (media player) still works.

And there is nothign locking the files.

How do you re-install foobar with windows context menu's  on/off? I see no option for that.

Reply #11
Most likely the path to the foobar2000.exe has changed on your system. Since foobar2000 0.9.1 does not support this folder type class it won't be updated if you changed the location of the foobar executable. You can either wait for 0.9.2 which will most likely support it or try out the beta if it fixes your problem.

But what you can do to check if a wrong path is your problem is this:
  • Start Regedit
  • Goto this key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\
  • look inside the keys "foobar2000.enqueue" and "foobar2000.play" and see if the paths of the cmd keys are correct and point at the real locating of foobar2000.exe
  • if this is the case you  adjust the paths in the registry directly while you're still looking at them
  • if the path is correct then all I can recommend is to look for another source of your problem, in my case it was a buggy shell extension from a third party...

Reply #12
Most likely the path to the foobar2000.exe has changed on your system. Since foobar2000 0.9.1 does not support this folder type class it won't be updated if you changed the location of the foobar executable. You can either wait for 0.9.2 which will most likely support it or try out the beta if it fixes your problem.

But what you can do to check if a wrong path is your problem is this:
  • Start Regedit
  • Goto this key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\
  • look inside the keys "foobar2000.enqueue" and "foobar2000.play" and see if the paths of the cmd keys are correct and point at the real locating of foobar2000.exe
  • if this is the case you  adjust the paths in the registry directly while you're still looking at them
  • if the path is correct then all I can recommend is to look for another source of your problem, in my case it was a buggy shell extension from a third party...

I went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\ and compared Winamp enqueue command with Foobar enqueue command and noticed that Foobar enqueue command had /add "%1" whereas Winamp had /ADD "%1" so I made it all CAPS and it is working for me (multiple file enqueue in .9.2)

Try it to see if it works for you...

Reply #13
I went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\ and compared Winamp enqueue command with Foobar enqueue command and noticed that Foobar enqueue command had /add "%1" whereas Winamp had /ADD "%1" so I made it all CAPS and it is working for me (multiple file enqueue in .9.2)

Hmmm, Ok, perhaps the route of my problem is I have nothing to do with foobar in that location.  If i do a find I can locate this registry entry, but it's not in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\

it's in .....  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.8SVX\shell

Could this be the problem?  Maybge it is another application causing this, but I can't work out which one

Reply #14
I've had such problems as well, I remember I tried a long ricghtclick in Total Commander, "play in foobar 2000": Windows is complaining something about "control panel". If I tried to open, say 15 files, I had to click "OK" 15 times then. IIRC fb2k opened only one of the files. I'll test when I'm at home. W2K sp4 there.

Reply #15
Hmmm, Ok, perhaps the route of my problem is I have nothing to do with foobar in that location.  If i do a find I can locate this registry entry, but it's not in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\

it's in .....  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.8SVX\shell

Could this be the problem?  Maybge it is another application causing this, but I can't work out which one

I noticed the same thing.  I fixed the problem by just adding those registry keys in HKCR\Directory\shell\.

Just add a foobar.enqueue and foobar.play key.  Set the values of those keys to whatever you want your context menu text to be.  Within each of those keys, create a new key called "command".  Set the value of each of your command keys to the same thing that's in the equivelant HKCR\foobar2000.svx\shell keys.

Reply #16
I recently had the exact same problem.  The context menu links in Windows Explorer would work for one file, but would crash Windows Explorer if used for more than one file.

The problem was solved by uninstalling Microsoft Media Player 11.  I presume the Media Player 11 shell extension was causing the problem??

Reply #17
I hate to bring back old threads to the front, but since after half a year I finally found the reason for this error, it's more than OK to do it.

1. It happened again. Again I first noticed it because foobar2000 wasn't able to load multiple files anymore.

2. I searched the web again. Half a year ago, I did find nothing. Now I found this page: Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers. My problem matches this: "When you select multiple files and right click and open / print nothing happens. (Selecting a single file in explorer and right click and open / print it works fine)"

3. I used method 2 and used ShellExView to pinpoint the program messing up my context menu: WhoLockMe.

So foobar2000 is not to blame, which I noticed real quick anyway, you can see that if you read my former posts carefully. Why a re-install of foobar2000 with context-menu option turned off and then another re-install with this option turned on helped, I don't know. Maybe I have uninstalled/re-installed WhoLockMe in the meantime or deleted the folder it was in making it non-functional.

So this problem had nothing to do with foobar2000 in particular, although bogus context menu handler can definitely affect foobar2000 as well, and therefor doensn't really belong on this forum, but I think it's only fair to post the solution to this problem anyway.

just wanted to say thank you!! this solved my problem that i couldnt play or enqueue more than one song in foobar as in the blink of an eye it would say 'please wait' and clear the playlist and load the next song again and again very quickly for all the songs i had selected. turned out to be a broken context menu entry thanks to the pile of **** that toshiba bluetooth stack installs. disabled and works now!         

Reply #18
I recently had the exact same problem.  The context menu links in Windows Explorer would work for one file, but would crash Windows Explorer if used for more than one file.

The problem was solved by uninstalling Microsoft Media Player 11.  I presume the Media Player 11 shell extension was causing the problem??

How did you uninstall WMP in Vista? I dont think there is a way to get rid of it... Does that mean this bug is here to stay?

Reply #19
I don't know for sure if you can uninstall WMP in Vista (you may using vlite I think). But you can disable WMP shell extensions using autoruns utility from technet or shellexview (use google). You may give it a try.

Reply #20

just wanted to say thank you!! this solved my problem that i couldnt play or enqueue more than one song in foobar as in the blink of an eye it would say 'please wait' and clear the playlist and load the next song again and again very quickly for all the songs i had selected. turned out to be a broken context menu entry thanks to the pile of **** that toshiba bluetooth stack installs. disabled and works now!         

right, it was working until i rebooted and then toshiba bt stack would reinstall its retarded self back into the context menu, breaking it again and causing foobars 'play all' not to work. i looked in shellexview and couldnt find a way to automate the deletion of "toshiba bluetooth extenstion" [sic] so i decided to make a registry (.reg) file to automatically delete the offending entries straight after satan spawns them - on windows startup.

here is the info to copy and paste in notepad \/ and then rename the file to deltoshiba.reg

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\tosBtShllExt]
@="{6BEF3D0B-53F0-4b0d-B91C-C19ED3D4C9D1}"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\tosBtShllExt]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\tosBtShllExt]

then make another notepad file containing the following info \/ and rename it to deltoshstartup.bat and place it in your startup menu

Code: [Select]
regedit /s deltoshitba.reg

info provided in case it helps even just one person! 

EDIT: ive found that its not simply good enough to drop the bat in the startup folder so i suggest downloading "Startup Delayer" (google it) and adding the bat with a delay of say 45secs. this has totally fixed it for me jim!

Reply #21
I've found the answer to that move file / copy file issue...

I had a few google searches about it.. Found nothing. I just tried fiddling with the preferences, until I found the File > Preferences > Display > Context Menu > Select "file operations" > (Uncheck "move to" and "copy to" boxes.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Audible and edible :v