Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Do you like the Foobar name?

Yes
[ 44 ] (56.4%)
No
[ 27 ] (34.6%)
Undecided?
[ 7 ] (9%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Topic: Do you have issues with Foobar's name? I do. (Read 5890 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you have issues with Foobar's name? I do.

It is darn stupid. Plus, there's a lame frat bar down the street called Fubar and that's what I think of every time. I love the program though, just wish it had a different name.

Reply #1
I'd love to see a LAME frat bar called foobar2000. On a only slightly more serious note, the only problem I have with the name is that the "2000" makes it look kinda old. Should be called "foobarXP" by now.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
I wish Monkey's Audio had a different name. Somehow, life goes on.

Reply #3
Should be called "foobarXP" by now.
foobarVista foobar7 foobar8 !

Reply #4
The name is meant to scare off people who care about names.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #5
It's not working, obviously!

Reply #6
What is “Foobar”?

Reply #7
The name is foobar2000 and nothing else, can't be stressed enough.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #9
I think it's fouled up beyond all repair... But might as well keep using it.
Cheers,
Alan

Reply #10
Love the name.  Seems computer appropriate.

Tom C
Tom

Reply #11
I wish Monkey's Audio had a different name. Somehow, life goes on.

Same here. I don't know the name history, but it's neither fun nor funny IMHO. Nor MediaMonkey player, or Monkey Studio IDE... It's maybe some cultural thing

OTOH, I don't have anything against foobar2000 name. I don't analyse it on parts, because it has no meaning to me, but take for granted and distil the meaning from player itself, which seems sweet to me

Reply #12
Can the people posting at this thread who DO NOT like the name foobar2000, please also list an alternative name.
I am curious to see what you think is a better name.
Personally, I don't have a problem with the name.

Reply #14
It's maybe some cultural thing

what have you got against monkeys? Don't like your relatives?

I like foobar2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/foobar
Etymology

Phonetic spelling of “FUBAR”, an acronym for “Fucked up beyond all recognition”.
[edit] Noun

foobar (uncountable)

(slang) A serious mistake.
    (computing) A metasyntactic variable name, a place holder for words; compare foo, bar.

although I think the original meaning was "beyond all reasonable repair"

Reply #15
How can anyone that uses the internet at all these days think that ANY name is stupid? Branding on the web is all about names that are unusual and memorable, not ones that make any sense or are even very likable.  Didn't you think GOOGLE was a stupid name when you first encountered it?  Now the word has achieved the rare fame of becoming a verb as well as a name. Not based on data, but I would guess that "Google" is worth more than any other word in existence - period! So much for names that make sense and are appealing.    I've gotten so used to nonsensical names on the web I don't even judge them or even notice that they're weird any more. Such is life in these crazy times!

As to the 2000, it doesn't have to mean the year. It can mean anything! Look at the branding decision made by 20th Century Fox after the turn of the millenium. I work a lot with branding and was very interested in what they were going to do. Instead of renaming the entire company, they left their globally recognized film brand intact as "20th Century Fox", and only renamed the holding company and a few new parts of it as simply "Fox <whatever>"

So I think Foobar, Foobar2000, fb2k are all excellent "brand names" for an equally excellent audio tool! 

Reply #16
The 2k part is the typical coder clunkiness. Drop 2000 and make it lowercase and you got a hipsterish twittery name.

Reply #17
The 2k part is the typical coder clunkiness. Drop 2000 and make it lowercase and you got a hipsterish twittery name.

why ffs do I want to be hip? Hip is for weak asshats who think hip is cool. I don't even think cool is cool.
I am an old grouchy fart and like it that way. Fuck hip

Foobar2000  ain't hip or cool. Just right for me. Leave it alone.

Reply #18
And get off my lawn!

Reply #19
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

it could be foobard2000 if you prefer
"Lifting Shadows Off a Dream"

Reply #20
Foobar2000  ain't hip or cool. Just right for me. Leave it alone.

...and...
So I think Foobar, Foobar2000, fb2k are all excellent "brand names" for an equally excellent audio tool! 

Except it's never capitalized, guys.

what have you got against monkeys? Don't like your relatives?
I don't like the name because of the .ape file extension. Apes are not monkeys. Different biological families.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #22
why ffs do I want to be hip? Hip is for weak asshats who think hip is cool. I don't even think cool is cool.
I am an old grouchy fart and like it that way. Fuck hip

Foobar2000 ain't hip or cool. Just right for me. Leave it alone.

And I thought the phrasing "hipsterish twittery name" was obvious enough. Oh well..

Reply #23
I'd love to see a LAME frat bar called foobar2000.

Same here

Never had problem with the name...it's so much better than e.g. "winamp" or "windows media player" 
end of line