Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless Audio Blog (Read 22806 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless Audio Blog

I've started a Lossless Audio Blog, its only two weeks+ old so I am still working on it and I am sure there will be many changes.
Let me know what you think and if there are any additions/changes you think should be made. If you dont like it let me know, if you think its great I would like to hear that as well.  You can post or e-mail comments on the blog.
It will mostly be for for reporting news and any additional hardware and software that supports lossless audio.

The Lossless Audio Blog

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #1
OMG! You don't have a link to the best, most complete lossless comparison ever!

(I won't link it here either because I'm too humble  )

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #3
Nice initiative.

N.B. "The Lossless Audio Blog is here to provide news and report on developments of lossless audio formats like (...) Shorten"
How many years old is latest news on Shorten

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #4
PM it too me, I would love to add it [{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hehe, I was joking. I thought you knew about it already.

[a href="http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless_comparison]http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...less_comparison[/url]

(I wrote most of it BTW, so please take the "best, most complete" part with a fairly large grain of salt)

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #5
Nice initiative.

N.B. "The Lossless Audio Blog is here to provide news and report on developments of lossless audio formats like (...) Shorten"
How many years old is latest news on Shorten
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337217"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True true...but I included it because it is so popular with the Etree crowd. I guess I need to reword that. Thanks for pointing that out.

rjamorim,

I completely forgot about it, sheesh .

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #6
I completely forgot about it, sheesh .[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337220"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Those things happen...

I just think you should mention that FLAC's comparison is quite outdated. It mentions WavPack at version 3.97 (it got hugely better since), doesn't mention TTA, WMA Lossless, Real Audio Lossless, etc, etc.

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #7
I completely forgot about it, sheesh .[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337220"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just think you should mention that FLAC's comparison is quite outdated. It mentions WavPack at version 3.97 (it got hugely better since), doesn't mention TTA, WMA Lossless, Real Audio Lossless, etc, etc.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337223"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good point, thats the type of feedback I was hoping for! Much appreciated. I am hoping to have more time to iron out the details tonight and this weekend.

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #8
How many years old is latest news on Shorten [{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

About one and a half year.  That was when Jason Jordan released Shorten 3.6.0 (a bugfix release, see [a href="http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shorten/doc/ChangeLog]changelog[/url]).

But I agree, it is rather uninteresting, and even though Shorten still has some momentum, it is slowly fading away while the taping and trading folks are turning to more modern codecs (like FLAC).

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #9
How many years old is latest news on Shorten [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337217"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But I agree, it is rather uninteresting
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337244"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The blog or Shorten development?

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #10
But I agree, it is rather uninteresting[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337244"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The blog or Shorten development?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337251"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shorten of course.

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #12
Good point, thats the type of feedback I was hoping for![a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337231"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, since you want feedback...

I wouldn't call that comparison "wiki comparison". The wiki is not an entity, just a web engine for colaborational article writing.

I would call it "Roberto's comparison" or (if people deem it official enough) "Hydrogenaudio's comparison".

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #13
Cool. I'm glad someone took the initiative to start one. Where's the RSS feed link?

P.S.
Oooh, you've got FLAC T-shirts!
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #14
Cool. I'm glad someone took the initiative to start one. Where's the RSS feed link?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337264"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was surprised there wasnt one already. Feed Links are on the top right now. Let me know if you have any problem with it.

I would call it "Roberto's comparison" or (if people deem it official enough) "Hydrogenaudio's comparison".

I had thought about that right after I added it and had changed it to HA Wiki but your suggestion is better. Give credit where credit is due.

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #15
I apologize if this seems harsh, but the blog so far seems a lot like advertising.  Would it be possible to tone down the persuasive aspects of the writing in favor of more critical commentary?  I'm interested in the content, but I feel each product is being advertised to me.

Obviously some things--e.g., an online petition, a LAME fundraising drive--require a persuasive approach, but do you really need to do NetStreams'  and Slim Devices' advertising for them?

Again, I apoligize if it seems harsh. .. you did ask for feedback, and I'm not one to bite my tongue.

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #16
I apologize if this seems harsh, but the blog so far seems a lot like advertising.  Would it be possible to tone down the persuasive aspects of the writing in favor of more critical commentary?  I'm interested in the content, but I feel each product is being advertised to me.

Obviously some things--e.g., an online petition, a LAME fundraising drive--require a persuasive approach, but do you really need to do NetStreams'  and Slim Devices' advertising for them?

Again, I apoligize if it seems harsh. .. you did ask for feedback, and I'm not one to bite my tongue.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337280"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is my first blog so I certainly appreciate the criticism, and I asked for it
You make a really good point, some of the initial people I was/am writing to are coworkers and friends that are still learning about lossless so I guess I was trying to point out some of the reasons I liked the product but in doing so pushed my opinions on a broader audience that can form these opinions on there own. if this is going to be news oriented I agree in toning it down a bit. I certainly want to make it readable by everyone so point well taken. Thanks!

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #17
P.S.

actually I've got em... some styles are already sold out though, get em while they last!  I don't plan on doing this again for a while, it turned out to be a big PITA.

as for the comparison on the FLAC site, yep, it's getting stale.  I tried to do a newer version of wavpack a couple of times but there was a bug in the command-line proggie that printed infinite newlines after encoding/decoding.  I think the latest ver may have fixed that.  in the meantime I added alternate comparison links and a link for this blog.

Josh

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #18
windmiller, offtopic: how is blogger handling images, i mean thumnail vs fullsize, is that done automagically or do you have to give him two versions?
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #19
windmiller, offtopic: how is blogger handling images, i mean thumnail vs fullsize, is that done automagically or do you have to give him two versions?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The built-in image management is really basic and only allows three sizes and three positions out of the box and it does resize automatically but there isnt a option for thumbnails. If you were able to get a Blog*Spot Plus account before they shut them down you can then work with thumbnails and you have alot more options (I did not get a Blog*Spot Plus account in time)
I just started using [a href="http://www.hello.com/]Hello[/url] last night. Hello is a Google tool that gives you the ability to work with thumbnails, borders and a few other features that are missing from the standard account. I didn't get a chance to work with it much last night but it looks pretty cool. It also ties in with with Picasa and Google Talk along with Blogger. Google sure has been busy. I should get a chance tow rok with it more tonight because I want to be able to post more pictures per posting a la Infosync.com.

Here is a image of the default settings interface, pretty basic.

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #20

I had thought about that right after I added it and had changed it to HA Wiki but your suggestion is better. Give credit where credit is due.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337268"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, I don't care if my name is mentioned or not. Specially since the community started contributing to it. I just am not sure if it can be called HA's comparison, as I don'k know if it is deemed official enough.

I tried to do a newer version of wavpack a couple of times but there was a bug in the command-line proggie that printed infinite newlines after encoding/decoding.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337305"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

According to David that bug should be fixed (although he doesn't have NT4 to test it). Still, *NIX versions should work fine.

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #21
windmiller, yes i understand how blogger works basically, my questions was:

1. i provide for example 3000x2000 jpg picture which is lets say 3 megs in size
2. does the blogger have a tool that will generate smaller thumbnail? (not just the html code)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #22
windmiller, yes i understand how blogger works basically, my questions was:

1. i provide for example 3000x2000 jpg picture which is lets say 3 megs in size
2. does the blogger have a tool that will generate smaller thumbnail? (not just the html code)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337412"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not that I could find.  It seems to only do it in the html code. I believe Hello can do this though.

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #23
P.S.

actually I've got em... some styles are already sold out though, get em while they last!  I don't plan on doing this again for a while, it turned out to be a big PITA.

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337305"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I saw that someone mistakenly thought I was offering them I changed the headline to read Available From Flac website .

Lossless Audio Blog

Reply #24
What are the definitive guides to lossless audio encoding and decoding?

I remember two that I used were the EAC guide from  The Coaster Factory and Radified but I wasnt sure if there were others?

I want to include these on the blog for those new to lossless.