Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack on 64-bit OS? (Read 11972 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack on 64-bit OS?

My question is can I run the original WavPack 4.60.1 on Windows 7 64 bit?
I have a virtual PC installed where I can run programs that are incompatible with the 64-bit OS, but it's slow and unwieldy.
I'd like to know if it can be used on x64.

WavPack on 64-bit OS?

Reply #1
The codec itself won't care about 32 or 64 bit, but if you want to use any operating system extensions or wmp plugins, they'll need to be 64 bit as well.  Otherwise no, 32 bit programs work fine on 64 bit windows.

WavPack on 64-bit OS?

Reply #2
the provided binaries are 32 bit, which can run on 64-bit windows 7 (tested this myself).  in the off-chance that you're compiling it yourself, 4.60.1 doesn't have a 64-bit target in Visual Studio (if I remember correctly).  I believe 4.70.0 (beta) does.

WavPack on 64-bit OS?

Reply #3
The codec itself won't care about 32 or 64 bit, but if you want to use any operating system extensions or wmp plugins, they'll need to be 64 bit as well.  Otherwise no, 32 bit programs work fine on 64 bit windows.

My intention is to use it for encoding (.wav)/decoding (.wv). Will it work fine on Windows x64 then?
I'm talking about the program of course: http://www.wavpack.com/

WavPack on 64-bit OS?

Reply #4
the provided binaries are 32 bit, which can run on 64-bit windows 7 (tested this myself).  in the off-chance that you're compiling it yourself, 4.60.1 doesn't have a 64-bit target in Visual Studio (if I remember correctly).  I believe 4.70.0 (beta) does.

I have this version WavPack Win32 (Windows command-line programs and user documentation) 4.60.1: http://www.wavpack.com/downloads.html

WavPack on 64-bit OS?

Reply #7
My intention is to use it for encoding (.wav)/decoding (.wv). Will it work fine on Windows x64 then?
short answer: yes.

Well, thanks haha. I didn't want to install it without being sure.

The only things that won't work on 64 bit windows are drivers and OS components that require 32 bit Windows.  If you try to install one of these, it will refuse to install.

WavPack on 64-bit OS?

Reply #8
If you try to install one of these, it will refuse to install.
to be precise, the OP shouldn't be "installing" anything; there is no setup.exe or the like.  it's just copy the binary and use it.  but outside of this specific case, you're right.

WavPack on 64-bit OS?

Reply #9
If you try to install one of these, it will refuse to install.
to be precise, the OP shouldn't be "installing" anything; there is no setup.exe or the like.  it's just copy the binary and use it.  but outside of this specific case, you're right.

Drivers and windows components have to be installed, hence if something isn't compatible with 64 bit you will almost certainly be trying to install it when you discover it doesn't work.

WavPack on 64-bit OS?

Reply #10
to be precise, the OP shouldn't be "installing" anything; there is no setup.exe or the like.  it's just copy the binary and use it.

It's a zipped file which contains the following:
wavpack.exe
wvgain.exe
wvselfx.exe
wvunpack.exe
changelog.txt
license.txt
wavpack_doc.html

I'm not familiarized with it but it must work very similar to the official FLAC command-line tools.

WavPack on 64-bit OS?

Reply #11
As mentioned by azaqiel version 4.70.0 beta has got 64-bit binaries here, but you'll do fine with the stable 4.60.1 32-bit ones, comprehensive manual at the official website here.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100