Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: best CD you own that is totally unknown (Read 38555 times) previous topic - next topic

best CD you own that is totally unknown

Reply #25
Here's a good one.  This band is certainly unknown to most, as they were practically earased from history by an 80s hair band of the same name.

Skid Row

The databases of the major music distributors are *very* confused over this.

The band features a 17 year-old Gary Moore absolutely ripping blues/rock guitar riffs.  Not that that alone should impress anyone, as Gary's catalog ever since has been pretty limp.

Highly recommended.

mobius
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Reply #26
I don't think Atari Teenage Riot are unknown, but most people I know have never heard of them.

I'd listen to an album before you buy one, they are the type of band that you will either love or hate. And don't buy Live at Brixton Academy 1999 unless you prefer noise to music.

My favourite ATR CD is The Future of War. If you like that then buy Alec Empire's solo stuff on Digital Hardcore Records. I like some of his albums on Geist Records, but that is more ambient.

Reply #27
Sui Generis - Vida
Fito Paez - Giros

.. It's in spanish though... Great muzak.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #28
I would help if you mentioned a few bands that you like, but anyway...here are some greek recommendations:

1) Diafana Krina (Transparent Lillies) - Any Album: One of the best greek rock bands with some darkwave elements in the style of Joy Division. Here are a few comments from some foreign e-zines that reviewed the album their latest album "Silence Gives the Odour of Wild Cherries"..."Diafana Krina's vocalist is superior to any of these singers (Stewart Staples of Tindersticks and Leonard Cohen, Lee Hazelwood), both in expressiveness and in vocal timbre"..."Diafana Krina's sound is thoroughly modern, with a basic rock beat but also some jazz touches, and with great interplay between the guitars, which utilize lots of effects, including occasional heavy fuzz and just a bit of dissonance at times"..."They play guitar lines that Radiohead's Johnny Greenwood would be proud to call his own"..."Don't let the language barrier be an impediment - this one's a winner regardless".

2) Raining Pleasure - "Nostalgia" (or) "Flood": I can't praise this band enough. They took their name after a song of Triffids, and you could say that share a lot in style with them, along with James, dEUS and such bands. Just listen to songs like "Rainsong 55", "Nostalgia", "Song Of The Wolf" and "Fake" to make up your own mind about this band's artistic value.

3) Stavros Lantsias - "Epistrofi": One of the most skilled modern greek (more exact, cypriot) pianists in his first solo album. Filled with touching and sensitive instrumental compositions that luckily have nothing to do with the kind of mellowness that "artists" like Yanni for instance represent. Emotional and strong melodies...

4) Takis Farazis - "Spells Of Musing": Yet another instrumental album, filled with pianistic melodies. Similar to artists like Ozymandias and in the same vein with Erik Satie's Gymnopedies, Farazis managed to combine minimalism with romanticism, in a result that left many speechless.

5) Manos Hadjidakis - "Reflections" or "Magnus Eroticus" or "Gioconda's Smile": Probably the best greek composer of the last century (along with Theodorakis) and a true musical genius...I copy from a biographical note:

"Modern Greek society developed and was nurtured by the personality of Manos Hadjidakis. Never for a moment did he hesitate to propound his visions to the utmost, thus revealing the deepest meaning of art.

An irreconcilable pioneer, an enemy of pomposity and solidified views, a lover of ?youth,? nonconformist to the core, and armed with Greek and world culture, he was able to combine classical with folk music, thus creating a ?new? sound, a ?new? type of song, with roots both in the East and the West."

There's nothing from this man that I can't suggest with all my heart, but I tried hard to limit down the choices to three...

"Reflections" is an album that you'll like for sure since it uses english lyrics. "Magnus Eroticus" is probably his best album ever (and among the best of the greek repertoire in general)...it's a cycle of songs based on the poetry of Odysseas Elytis, Nikos Gatsos, C.P. Cavafy, Dionysios Solomos, Sappho and King Solomon among others. "Gioconda's Smile" is the absolute instrumental album and the one that every other tries to compare to...

Reply #29
I think noone should be without the album "Electrasy - In Here We Fall". Solid rock with electronic influences and a tad of hip/hop here and there.

For nice electronica vinyls check out these artists (some more popular than others):
Max Graham
Planisphere
Starecase
Praha
Chab
Steve Gibbs
Sonourus
Adam Dived

edit: Oh, for some otherwise interesting music, check out "Dusted". Their song "Allways Remember To Respect And Honour Your Mother (Part 1)" is mesmerizing. Generally, their music is relaxing and very "rich". Hard to describe.

Reply #30
Francis Cabrel - Samedi Soir sur la Terre

Oh well, it a relief to know that this CD is unknown in foreign countries  The RTL2 national radio station plays "Hors Saison" about 6 times a day. It's a good artist, but we've got too much of him here 
My father says about him "that's what you get when a peasant takes LSD !".

Nurse With Wound - Thunder Perfect Mind

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH !!!!!
This album is UN-LIS-TEN-ABLE !!!

I used to to make bets with it in high school : "I bet you can't listen to this CD from the beginning to the end !".

Reply #31
If you like progressive rock try:

Einstein  www.jonathanmover.com
Tribe of Judah  www.tojonline.com
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #32
Larry Raspberry and the Highsteppers. Link here.

Herman Brood. Link here. (watch out for pop-ups)

Gary Moore. Link here. Check out Parisienne Walkways - (live), whew!

Reply #33
I am from Mexico (as some of you already know).
The best mexican band is, without a doubt:

Cafe Tacvba

You can't go wrong with any of their albums.
Indescriptable music, you just have to listen to it 
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #34
thanks for all the replies, for those who wonder i like it all, everything from Funkromicon by Buchethead and Bootsy Collins to the Goldberg Variations by Gould.  I like Pole,Lamb,Autechre,RDJ,Berd Steidl,Morgan Phillips,Etc..
All by Buckethead,Bonobo,Anime soundtracks, road to perdition, PI, etc..  just guess what i like... if you're wrong it hurtw noone but my checkbook.

anything but coutry will be seriously considered,garth brooks need not apply.

Reply #35
sorry for the misspelling, add blue man group while you are forgiving me for my past sins.

Reply #36
I'm surprised I didn't hear more Bernd Steidl, and other assorted crazyness including Manuel Gottsching and Chris Vrenna's OST to Alice.

Reply #37
I don't think Atari Teenage Riot are unknown, but most people I know have never heard of them.

ATR rock!

Probably not as well known as The Future Sound of London, but not less recommendable are Biosphere. Patashnik is my personal favourite album, followed by Microgravity.
Generic CD stores would put them into the same slot as Autechre...

Depending on where you live, Radiowaves by the superb Norwegian band called Seigmen is totally unknown. Not sure if it's still in print, but ususally available at  www.shadowland.no.

Reply #38

Cafe Tacvba

No way!! It's MANA!!!!!!

"Rayando el soooooolll....."

Reply #39
Check out Mia Doi Todd - Golden Age.

Introspective female vocal, minimal accompaniment.

Reply #40

Cafe Tacvba

No way!! It's MANA!!!!!!

"Rayando el soooooolll....."

I prefer Los de Abajo without a doubt.  B)

best CD I own that is totally unknown: The Acappellas - The Acappellas (acapella gospel )
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #42
Hybrid - Wide Angle
BT - Movement In Still Life

All available on Amazon with sample previews, truely ground breaking electronica/dance albums in their time!

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #43
Au Pairs - BBC Sessions 79 - 81

is probably not too well-known.

I saw this band in their heyday and thought they were great!

pol

Reply #44
Nurse With Wound - Thunder Perfect Mind

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH !!!!!
This album is UN-LIS-TEN-ABLE !!!

and whilst we are at it, i forgot to mention all the krautrock in my last post! so here goes:

Neu! - Neu!, and Neu! 75
Faust - Faust
Cluster - Sowiesoso
Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia

Reply #45
i urge you to try again and listen without prejudice

Yes, the second track is actually OK, it's the first track that I can't bear. I can't listen to this again since I sold the CD to a radio station. I made a big mistake, by the way, because I thought that I got rid of these CDs forever, but the radio actually played them, so I had to hear them even more than before  . Especially the awful "Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa - Musik Fur Flugeshafte"  (but there are other good albums by HNAS).

But I prefer by far the "sister album" of Nurse With Wound's, that is "Current93 - Thunder Perfect Mind".

By the way, in the "unknown and worth recognition" category, let me add

Current 93 & Höh - Island.
(Featuring Björk's voice in track 1, for fans, though the style has nothing to do with her later solo works).

Reply #46
yes Pio2001, there is a whole rich vein of wonderful undiscovered music waiting for people to enjoy. a lot of these bands (coil, nww, c93, chris and cosey etc) can be accessed from the World Serpent site:

http://www.worldserpent.com/

people might also like to try:

http://www.middlepillar.com/

http://www.soleilmoon.com/

http://www.tesco-distro.com/

Reply #47
Well, your post has a different meaning than your subject-line, but ok: 

Think "international".  In the quest for something "new", I've discovered the whole JPOP/KPOP/Anime thing.  This genre has managed to put the silly "fun" back into music.

Start here.  This is a free download by the British group Boa.  Great song.  Not to be confused with the S. Korean singer BoA:  equally good in a different way.

Then start checking out, Utada Hikaru, Maaya Sakamoto, Morning Musume, Megumi Hayashibara, etc., etc., the list goes on forever.

Cutesy pop stuff, but you gotta admit, its different.   

Dex

Reply #48
I don't know about totally unknown, but the most underappreciated popular music album of the century is definitely Love - Forever Changes.

Reply #49
probably 'No Sun Today' from Grey Daze