Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC and Nero AAC not working (Read 6231 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC and Nero AAC not working

After years of using CDEX and Lame for ripping my CDs, I've decided to give AAC a try as it's apparently a better quality format.
I've installed EAC and NeroAAC but can't get it to work.  For some reason EAC isn't passing the correct source and destination filenames to Nero.
According to the error, instead of "going backwards.wav" for %source%, it uses "0tmp60-!5.wav" and then "0tmp60-!5.m4a" for %dest%.
This is Win 10, any ideas?

Re: EAC and Nero AAC not working

Reply #1
EAC uses a temporary name then should rename the file after the encoder completes normally. Are you saying the encoder is exiting early due to an error? You didn't share your External Compression Tab settings and additional command line options.
See also http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_AAC
korth

Reply #2
I followed the instructions in the Wiki, tried both with and without metadata with the same result.  EAC completes the rip to .wav but then throws up the error at compression because I ticked the 'Check for external programs return code'.

Oher options are as per the wiki, command line options without metadata: '-if %source% -of %dest%'.

Reply #3
Some general troubleshooting:
Check
  • encoder path is valid.
  • encoder or output location doesn't require elevated privileges.
  • antivirus/security software hasn't isolated the encoder.
While configured for 'without metadata'
click the 'Test encoder' button on the 'External Compression' tab and look at the 'used commandline:', 'compressor output:' and 'return code:'.
If there was an error, this should show more detail.
korth

Reply #4
Also, Nero is outdated; there are better AAC encoders now (qaac, fhgaacenc).

Reply #5
Gave me an excuse to configure EAC on my Win 10 partition, so I tested your settings.  Here are my "Compression options":

Additional command-line options:
Code: [Select]
/c h:\progra~2\codecs\NeroAAC\neroaa~2.exe -q 0.5 -if %source% -of %dest% && h:\progra~2\codecs\NeroAAC\neroaa~3.exe %dest% -meta:artist="%artist%" -meta:album="%albumtitle%" -meta:track="%tracknr%" -meta:title="%title%" -meta:genre="%genre%" -meta:year="%year%"

Your file locations will of course be different and I only got it to work by using 8.3-style filenames.  The files will also include a "CDEC" tag.  And, as said above, there are preferred encoders:
http://listening-tests.hydrogenaud.io/igorc/aac-96-a/results.html

Finally, if encoding at sufficient bitrate it's not true that AAC offers a quality advantage over MP3:
http://listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

Reply #6
Apesbrain
I added quotes to the Additional command-line options. Worked fine (Windows 10).
/c ""D:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\NeroAAC\neroAacEnc.exe" -q 0.5 -if %source% -of %dest% && "D:\Program Files (x86)\Tools\NeroAAC\neroAacTag.exe" %dest% -meta:artist="%artist%" -meta:album="%albumtitle%" -meta:track="%tracknr%" -meta:title="%title%" -meta:genre="%genre%" -meta:year="%year%" %hascover%-add-cover:front:"%coverfile%"%hascover%"

edit: had one too many
korth