Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Weird avatar problem (Read 4387 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird avatar problem

I decided to change my uploaded avatar to a new when both are pngs but when I uplodaded the new one the extension got changed to gif, the same filename with the png extension shows my old avatar:

--> My new avatar : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/uploads/av-3620.gif, should be .png

--> My old avatar: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/uploads/av-3620.png

My new avatar is therefore displayed incorrectly on IE (alpha channel missing) since it relies on extensions for determining the file type.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Weird avatar problem

Reply #1
I tried to add a .gif file that had some anmation. I made sure that the size was within what they let me, but mo luck. The server tels me that the format is not accepted although the gif format is the first format mentioed in the list that should be accepted.
[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\']Ib[/span]

Weird avatar problem

Reply #2
You may want to try saving your image as a new image, but this time reduce the color to 256 colors. I don't know why but when I reduced the color of my .gif avatar it was accepted without any subsequent error message.

Weird avatar problem

Reply #3
I could but I would lose the transparency (It can be seen only on Mozilla or Phoenix by now) and the back of the image has too many colors to be displayed correctly on 256 colors, and it's only 18Kb!
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Weird avatar problem

Reply #4
I didnt understand what you meant until i switched over to IE, i NEVER use it now my new bank allows me to use Mozilla et cetra.

Anyway, could you not add a little disclamer in your signature praising the wonders of various browsers over IE? Only kiddin, if you use Mozilla, don't worry about it, the loss of transparency on IE is hardly noticable unless you open both at the same time!!

Kristian

Weird avatar problem

Reply #5
oh. it seems as though IE cannot display alpha-blended pngs.

[span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%']That sucks![/span]

Weird avatar problem

Reply #6

No, that doesn't suck.

[span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%']IE sucks![/span]

BTW, I think there is a workaround, but I can't remember it now...

EDIT: http://www.quadrone.org/ - check this one out!

Weird avatar problem

Reply #7
hm.. been using Phoenix since Oceano!

Weird avatar problem

Reply #8
hm, i'm feeling really stupid atm, i'm not able to set any avatar for my profil. both of the 2 options do not work, it just goes back and tells me 'noavatar' - no error msg - nothing... any ideas?

Weird avatar problem

Reply #9
hm, i'm feeling really stupid atm, i'm not able to set any avatar for my profil. both of the 2 options do not work, it just goes back and tells me 'noavatar' - no error msg - nothing... any ideas?

this happens because "I don't wish to use an avatar (remove all current)" gets ticked after you select a new avatar (bug?), so when you press "Add this avatar to my profile", it doesn't get added. So, you have to tick "Your image avatars" before you hit the big button.

Weird avatar problem

Reply #10
this happens because "I don't wish to use an avatar (remove all current)" gets ticked after you select a new avatar (bug?), so when you press "Add this avatar to my profile", it doesn't get added. So, you have to tick "Your image avatars" before you hit the big button.

Yes, I think it's a bug in IPB... only not sure if it's fixed, because their forums (where 1.2 is installed) don't allow uploading avatars, so you can't check if it works

Weird avatar problem

Reply #11

many thx!

Weird avatar problem

Reply #12

Does my avatar display correctly for you? I am using IE 6 and it shows fine here; there should be nothing visible outside the circle. Since this is also an alpha-blended PNG, I suspect there is another solution....

- M.

Weird avatar problem

Reply #13
Does my avatar display correctly for you? I am using IE 6 and it shows fine here; there should be nothing visible outside the circle. Since this is also an alpha-blended PNG, I suspect there is another solution....

Yes. Your avatar display correctly in IE since your avatar is an png in indexed color format (max. 256 color). If it's not indexed, alpha-blended PNG won't work.