Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is the best encoder for low-bitrate MP3 (around 85–95 kbps)? (Read 2513 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the best encoder for low-bitrate MP3 (around 85–95 kbps)?

Hello there,

I'd like to ask what is the best MP3 encoder for low-bitrate MP3 encoding (85-95 kilobits per second would be ideal). I know that AAC and Vorbis would perform much better here, but the device I need them for is a bit old and can decode MP3s only.

Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Hello there,

I'd like to ask what is the best MP3 encoder for low-bitrate MP3 encoding (85-95 kilobits per second would be ideal). I know that AAC and Vorbis would perform much better here, but the device I need them for is a bit old and can decode MP3s only.

Thanks in advance.

How do you "know" that?

Reply #2
Do we really have to jump on every little thing? For some time now, public listening tests have suggested (at least to some extent) better performance by AAC and Vorbis than by MP3 at low to low-medium bitrates. Dario is probably referring to something like that.

Reply #3
Well, those codecs are "technologically" more advanced than MP3. Sorry, I should have written "assume" instead of "know." On the other hand, some music that I had converted to q 0.3 HE AACs sounded very, very nice. I just don't see MP3 being up there.

And sorry about the thread title.