Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DAC shows DSD but ASIO shows PCM (Read 4305 times) previous topic - next topic

DAC shows DSD but ASIO shows PCM

Hi! I'm facing a weird problem when I'm trying to play DSD file with foobar2000.
I've installed the necessary components and did the setup for dsd playback, and the dac (Topping DX3 pro+) displays it's streaming DSD but the ASIO control panel shows it's in PCM mode. I've tried playing dsd with JRiver, both dac display and asio control panel shows DSD mode.
Here are the screenshots-

What should I do to get DSD mode on both when playing dsd with foobar?

Re: DAC shows DSD but ASIO shows PCM

Reply #1
That's because you do it as DOP. To do it as Native DSD you must use DSDTranscoder or foooutasio+dsd. Also DSD Processor is not needed. Ale the info should be in readme of SACD plugin if I remember correctly.

Reply #2
That's because you do it as DOP. To do it as Native DSD you must use DSDTranscoder or foooutasio+dsd. Also DSD Processor is not needed. Ale the info should be in readme of SACD plugin if I remember correctly.
I'm using the foo_out_asio and I've followed instructions from the readme of foo_input_sacd
I haven't seen any option to choose native DSD, and I'm not sure how it's currently set as DoP, there's no indication of it anywhere

Which setting should I change?

Reply #3
If you use foo-out-asio you have to use DSDTranscoder as well. If you do not want to use Transcoder tyou must use foo-out-asio+dsd (different component than foo-out-asio).
Both foo-out-asio+dsd and Transcoder are available from the same author who made sacd-input.

Reply #4
If you use foo-out-asio you have to use DSDTranscoder as well. If you do not want to use Transcoder tyou must use foo-out-asio+dsd (different component than foo-out-asio).
Both foo-out-asio+dsd and Transcoder are available from the same author who made sacd-input.

I don't understand what you mean, I have installed foo_dsd_processor and foo_input_sacd, I didn't found anything else when I search for DSDTranscoder. Both are active. foo_out_asio is active as well.

Reply #5
Type foobarsacd in google. Probably the first hit will be sourceforge site of the author of those components. There, under "files" you have to download all the components. Transcoder is not porocessor. You do not need the Processor. you need either Transcoder or foo_out_asio+dsd (both of them are on that site).
Also (for the second time) foo out asio is not hte same as foo out asio+dsd. Those are different components.
SACD input is another one (not the same as asio+dsd).
So you need either:
1. foo out asio, dsd transcoder (not processor!!!) and SACD input (three plugins) or
2. foo out asio+dsd (not foo out asio!!!) and SACD input (two plugins).

Reply #6
Type foobarsacd in google. Probably the first hit will be sourceforge site of the author of those components. There, under "files" you have to download all the components. Transcoder is not porocessor. You do not need the Processor. you need either Transcoder or foo_out_asio+dsd (both of them are on that site).
Also (for the second time) foo out asio is not hte same as foo out asio+dsd. Those are different components.
SACD input is another one (not the same as asio+dsd).
So you need either:
1. foo out asio, dsd transcoder (not processor!!!) and SACD input (three plugins) or
2. foo out asio+dsd (not foo out asio!!!) and SACD input (two plugins).

I'm using the 2nd method you've mentioned, this one is working well. both DAC display and ASIO control panel shows in DSD mode

Thank you very much!

Reply #7
Hello -
I too am trying to play DSD "directly" from FB into a Topping DAC.  (Please excuse some of my
terminology, this is all a bit too technical for my poor brain).

So I would like to set up as per what gets called Method 2 above.  This looks like it might be
the simplest and most current set up.
"2. foo out asio+dsd (not foo out asio!!!) and SACD input (two plugins)."

Please help me understand all the separate plug-ins I need.
"foo out asio+dsd" downloaded.
"foo_input_sacd" I'm guessing I need but which is the second SACD input??

Do I need anything else?
BTW I'm on Windows 10 and have installed the recommended Topping driver.

Again, apologies if I'm asking the obvious!
thanks
T

Reply #8
P.S. I just realized I probably read that incorrectly.
It's not two sacd input plugins - it's one plus the "foo out asio+dsd".  one plus one = two!!

Even so, if anybody felt like expanding the instructions for this set-up a little, to help out
the technically challenged like myself it would be much appreciated :)

Reply #9
Here are some screenshots for the settings:

Reply #10
Thank you.
I have got it working now, sort of.

Using those plug-ins I can play from FB by choosing PCM (and sounds good) but not DSD.
Further googling and I think the issue may be the E30 mk ii, it seems that possibly this DAC has
a fault whereby DSD reception can be "intermittent"... according to one or two posters on various
forums.

Reply #11
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can try disabling anything DSD/SACD related, other than the "foo_out_asio+dsd" and "foo_input_SACD".
If that doesn't work, try to find a different driver version for your DAC.
Good luck

Reply #12
Thanks for your help.
I may try using the Topping instructions which use an "asioproxy install" (he says
as though he has a clue what that is).

To be honest pcm sounds good and I don't suppose DSD is exactly critical in my humble
set up.  I just like to think I've got everything at optimal settings so I can forget about it
and get on listening

Reply #13
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If it's any consolation, most of the available DSD files are upsampled from PCM, so your PCM files are just fine. Lots of artist's DSD aren't even available, like the Beatles, they never had any SACD release.

Reply #14
Hi, I use: foo out asio+dsd on foobar2000 x64 and it only works with 64 bit host, 32 bit host does not work.  It only happens on my laptop, I have tested on other laptops and it works fine using foobar2000 x64 with: foo out asio+dsd with the 32 bit host.

Reply #15
And another thing that adding DSD Transcoder does not work in Foobar2000 version 2.0

Reply #16
Hi, I use: foo out asio+dsd on foobar2000 x64 and it only works with 64 bit host, 32 bit host does not work.  It only happens on my laptop, I have tested on other laptops and it works fine using foobar2000 x64 with: foo out asio+dsd with the 32 bit host.

Strange as I am using foo_out_asio+dsd on 32bit and it works like a charm.

Reply #17
And another thing that adding DSD Transcoder does not work in Foobar2000 version 2.0

DSD Transcoder is a nice idea but it's causing hissing noise with my PCM files that are 96MHz and above.
I switched to foo_out_asio+dsd and never looked back.