Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: aoTuV beta 4.5 released (Read 50540 times) previous topic - next topic

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

There is a new aoTuv beta release(4.5) out.

Changelog:
aoTuV Beta4.5 [beta4 >> beta4.5]
# Reexamination of a low bit rate region, the addition of the code accompanying it, and tuning. Influence has this change below quality3.  Probably, in the especially low bit rate, it will be effective.

http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/index.html

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #1
Let's call together: Gu-ru-boo-lez!!!
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #2
Let's call together: Gu-ru-boo-lez!!! [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339701"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Erm.. as if Guru had big interest in low bitrate testing

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #3
Let's call together: Gu-ru-boo-lez!!!

Come on people! This is low bitrates area, you could test it yourself...

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #4
Thanks, i tried it...but sounds like metallic, the switch used is:
"-q-2" the nominal bitrate whas 32.

Any vorbis can encode at 20-25? (at 44 and stereo)

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #5
Thanks, i tried it...but sounds like metallic, the switch used is:
"-q-2" the nominal bitrate whas 32.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339709"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you compare it to aoTuV b4?
Speex for speech

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #6
Is the encoding at high quality affected by this? I encoded a file at -q6 with both b4 and b4.5 and decoded again (with the same decoder), and the content of the decoded files differs (as shown by a quick md5 hashing).

MedO

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #7
Is the encoding at high quality affected by this? I encoded a file at -q6 with both b4 and b4.5 and decoded again (with the same decoder), and the content of the decoded files differs (as shown by a quick md5 hashing).

MedO
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339725"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can you find out 'audio difference' between them in some audio editor? How much differs the size of encoded files?
Speex for speech

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #9
wow, nice works
<name>madoka</name>

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #10

I've tried -q 4 , they can be considered bit identical

Beta4 = 3,489,542 bytes
Beta4.5 = 3,489,535 bytes

-q 2
Beta4 = 2,768,456 bytes
Beta4.5 = 2,805,795 bytes

The slight difference in -q4 might be bacause of the beta4 I used is P4 optimised, Optimised version might produce a file that has slight differences from non-optimised version.....this causes discrepencies in MD5, but it terms of perception quality, it is the same.

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #11
Lets wait a bit, maybe Aoyumi will give some explanations about this version and what we should expect from it. If it is OK, it would be wonderful if john33 compiles an OggDropXPd with this thingy inside. Is it possible, John ? 

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #12
I will be testing this new release as well. I have high expectations about it, but aside the tuning at very low bitrates I don't suppose it's a major release, probably why it's numbered 4.5 and not 5.0

Aoyumi-san domo arigato

Ah, I wonder if one day you will try making the first known implementation of Bitrate Peeling. I know I would be happy about just better tuning at the higher bitrates, so that Vorbis could finally beat Musepack.
Join //spreadopenmedia.com to promote Opus, Vorbis, FLAC, etc

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #13
I use -q-2 sometimes on classical stuff for some reason. I have a symphony of 63 Minutes, which encodes @ 13.960.454 Bytes. With 32 kbps it does sound incredible!

Now I encoded it again with ao4.5.

I could not hear any differences/improvements at the problematic parts.

BUT theres a significant improvement in size:

aotuv4: 13.960.454 Bytes
aotuv4.5: 13.080.681 Bytes

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #14
Cool, I'll give this a try this evening since I use Vorbis at -q2.25 on my iFP-895 (with a hacked firmware to play Vorbis files that average less than 96 kbs.)

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #15
Cool, I'll give this a try this evening since I use Vorbis at -q2.25 on my iFP-895 (with a hacked firmware to play Vorbis files that average less than 96 kbs.)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339810"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where can we find the firmware ?

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #16
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where can we find the firmware ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339830"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=24020]http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=24020[/url]

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #17

For the moment, it is impossible.

Lets wait a bit, maybe Aoyumi will give some explanations about this version and what we should expect from it.

Please hear and judge in person.

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #18
I downloaded this and compiled it.  After unpacking the .tar.gz I had to do chmod +x on the configure and install-sh scripts before building and installing it.  Other than that, no problems.

I encoded a few files and in general they are free of artifacts, except one: The encoder seems to have a strong preference for removing high frequencies at low quality settings.  The encoded files sound as if they were downsampled or a low-pass filter was used.  This effect diminishes with higher  quality settings, and above -q7 I can't tell the difference anymore.  At lower settings I can distinguish the vorbis file from the original because of the relatively increased bass and decreased treble.

I am just curious if this was intentional in the design of the encoder?  I do think it is less annoying than other types of artifacts, so maybe it's not such a bad trade-off.

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #19
I can´t really hear the diference, is hard to say that is a big improvement, ok I only made one test (at -q 0), so I can´t really say that is not effective and I don´t have a "extreme hear" so it just only my opinion.
JorSol
aoTuVb5 -q4

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #20
Lets wait a bit, maybe Aoyumi will give some explanations about this version and what we should expect from it. If it is OK, it would be wonderful if john33 compiles an OggDropXPd with this thingy inside. Is it possible, John ? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339766"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it's possible now I have the source, which wasn't available when I first looked. 

Extract from one of the text files included:
aoTuV beta4.5 technical information

The differences from the aoTuV beta 4...

1.  M4 code of beta3 was deleted. M5 is added as what is replaced with it. The advantage of this method is that the result stabilized more is obtained. Instead, the change width of the bit rate becomes large rather than before. [32/44.1/48kHz only]

2.  New M4 was added. There is this for the same purpose as M1. However, it is tuned up only in the low bit rate region according to work and individual parameters. [32/44.1/48kHz only]

3.  M2 code was extended. This decreases a specific noise problem.  [32/44.1/48kHz only]

...and I mainly tune up tone/noise masking and noise normalization parameters.

The above change is applied below quality3.

2005/11/05
Aoyumi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #21
I downloaded this and compiled it.  After unpacking the .tar.gz I had to do chmod +x on the configure and install-sh scripts before building and installing it.  Other than that, no problems.

Hi, n00b here. Downloaded, chmod'ed, configured & compiled... no errors.
But where is the executable ? Or do I miss something here ?

EDIT: Yes I did 
It was libvorbis source. Oggenc source downloadpage gives me Error 404.

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #22
EDIT: Yes I did  <_<
It was libvorbis source. Oggenc source downloadpage gives me Error 404.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Here is what I did:

Download libogg-1.1.2.tar.gz and vorbis-tools-1.1.1.tar.gz from [a href="http://www.xiph.org/downloads/]http://www.xiph.org/downloads/[/url]
Download libvorbis-aotuv_b4.5.tar.gz.tgz from http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/
Unpack everything.
cd libogg-1.1.2
./configure
make
make install
cd ../aotuv-b4.5_20051105
chmod +x configure
chmod +x install-sh
./configure
make
make install
cd ../vorbis-tools-1.1.1
./configure
make
Run oggenc/oggenc

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #23
I can´t really hear the diference, is hard to say that is a big improvement, ok I only made one test (at -q 0), so I can´t really say that is not effective and I don´t have a "extreme hear" so it just only my opinion.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339954"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which file was bigger? aoTuV b4 or aoTuV 4.5? May be this improvment affects size while keeping quality same?
By the way, did you use one of the famous 'hard samples' or any randomly chosen 'easy sample'?
Speex for speech

aoTuV beta 4.5 released

Reply #24

For the moment, it is impossible.

I know this is not reccomended, but with oggdropXPd (and I think also with other programs) is possible to go down to 12 Kbps @ 44.1 KHz stereo using ABR with:
Min. Bitrate = 0
Nom. Bitrate = 12
Max. Bitrate = 0

I think Min. Bitrate and Max. Bitrate = 0 means there is no limit, thus give a higer quality than CBR @ 12 Kbps.