Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Unrecoverable playback error: Element not found. (0x80070490) (Read 3493 times) previous topic - next topic

Unrecoverable playback error: Element not found. (0x80070490)

hi,

ive used foobar2000 for some years now, mainly for audiobooks as it supports all three things i require:
-simple taskbar controls (pause/resume),
-pause/resume with my bluetooth headset
-and remembering track position.

now ive reinstalled my operating system from scratch, installed the newest version (1.6.7) and after reawakening the pc from sleeping the error message above is displayed and the program forgets the track position - quite annoying with audiobooks. ive reset my settings (not that ive much changed btw), enabling only 'save playback state...' - the problem persisted.
ive completely removed 1.6.7 and reinstalled the former 1.3.17 and that works again.

oh, and im not sure what have ive done but also encountered with a 'Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 2 channels (0x3), mix format: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 2 channels (0x3)' message.

is there something i should set in preferences to make it right? is it a bug?

thanks,
g

Re: Unrecoverable playback error: Element not found. (0x80070490)

Reply #1
oh, and im not sure what have ive done but also encountered with a 'Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 2 channels (0x3), mix format: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 2 channels (0x3)' message.

is there something i should set in preferences to make it right? is it a bug?

Under Preferences -> Output -> Output format, what does it say? If it says 32 there, you are trying to feed your sound card a 32-bit floating-point signal, and only a very few support that. Try 16 and see what happens.

Reply #2
thank you for your quick answer.

nothing at all. default device is is primary sound driver and output format is greyed out. EDIT: not only greyed out, nothing is there.

the explanation might be that my 'soundcard' is this:
avantree leaf (dg50)
its a bluetooth dongle+soundcard. it handles communication with my headphones and shows itself as an audio device to windows.

(the advantages are that it doesnt need a bluetooth stack (very finicky csr stacks, they are),  isnt dependent on cpu so it doesnt fall out of sync even if connection is bad or lost. the disadvantages are that its only for audio and quite a bit pricier than normal csr dongles.)

there are four other options for device:
null output
speakers (avantree leaf)
primary sound driver (exclusive)
speakers (avantree leaf)  (exclusive)

ive tried the second one before, same result. as it turns out, output format works with the latter two, ill try them now...

Reply #3
primary sound driver (exclusive) 16/24/32bit:
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 22050 Hz / 16-bit / 1 channels (0x4)

speakers (avantree leaf)  (exclusive) 16/24/32bit:
as above

speakers (avantree leaf):
although ive tried it before and i could swear that it didnt work (maybe ive gotten the second error message then) i tried again and now it works. thats good but not completely satisfying: from time to time i also use the monitors speakers or the mobo realtek audio connected to a mini hifi (rarely, so now both audio devices disabled).

primary sound driver:
still showing me the fig

but the funny thing is that in 1.3.17 primary sound driver is ok. i have to think that its some sync/connection issue. waking up the pc takes a few seconds, maybe waking up the dongle takes some extra time, connecting to the headphones is 30+ seconds.
perhaps in the new version foobar2000 checks devices after waking up the pc which arent there yet. although i switched off every power saving function concerning usb devices... i really dont know.
EDIT: all seems ok until the headphones are connected to the avantree 'dongle'. pc wakes up, i can resume playing the track from the time paused on (although of course i cant hear it), but once the headphones are connected wirelessly to avantree -> error message.
now ive tried with two pairs (avantree p90 and sennheiser hd 450bt), same result.
maybe i should give up and reinstall the older version.

ps: in the meantime ive searched for alternatives with my preferences (easy taskbar pause/resume, headphones pause/resume, remember track, not that big and bloated sw) and ive found exactly one from about two dozen tested: xion player. and that one, just like earlier foobar2000 works fine...

Reply #4
Resurrecting this topic...
I'm getting Unrecoverable playback error: Element not found.   (0x80070490)

I make one big change before this started. I replaced my C: drive (SSD) with a larger one, using clone software to accomplish the upgrade. It's been a month and the FB2K problem is the only issue

I can make this happen if I start playback in FB2K before I turn on the Denon AVR that is connected via HDMI to my Windows 11 PC.

I tried a clean install of FB2K 64 bit, adding foo_ui_columns, foo_uie_albumlist and foo_monkeymote.

In settings I have this:
Playback > Output > Devices:
   >Devices
      All checked:
         Null Output DSP not set   Bits Automatic
         Primary Sound Driver DSP not set   Bits Automatic
         DENON-AVR (Intel(R) Display Audio) DSP not set   Bits Automatic
         Primary Sound Driver[exclusive] DSP not set   Bits 24
         DENON-AVR (Intel(R) Display Audio) [exclusive] DSP not set   Bits 24
I tried cycled through unselecting all but one and closed FB, turned off the AVR, started FB playback then power on the AVR. I get the error every time.

It's not a great pain to power on the AVR first but it used to not matter the order.

Reply #5
The error code 0x80070490 you quote indeed means the output device you have selected is not present.

Changing OS drive has nothing to do with that error. The error is related to selected output method.

What do you expect should happen when you try to play to a device that is nowhere to be seen in the computer? I think an error message is normal response. If you don't like the error, select the default output device instead - it gets mapped to an alternative output when your preferred output goes missing. It won't throw errors as long as there is some output device present.