Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Outboard DAC?: Airplay Stream> VizioTV> (?HDMI:DAC>) RCA:PreAmp (Read 1221 times) previous topic - next topic

Outboard DAC?: Airplay Stream> VizioTV> (?HDMI:DAC>) RCA:PreAmp

[First post. Love the science /ABX over hype mindset here . . .]

Looking to get the best sound from my system with minimal cost (would consider higher costs for significant returns).
Here is my present signal flow:

*MacBook Pro - Catalina*
FLAC (or other)>
Foobar2000>
Airplay stream>
*TV - Vizio i470-A0*
AirPinPro (which is an Airplay receiver app running under my Amazon FireStick4k account)>
RCA Out>
(RCA inputs only) Preamp> Amp> Speakers

But wondering if this would be better:
*TV*
HDMI ARC Out>
DAC>
(RCA inputs only) Preamp> Amp> Speakers

From reading HA forums, I picked up that modern DAC chips probably all suffice but that PCB design, filters, and power supplies can make significant differences to the listening experience. Can an outboard DAC improve my sound, and if so where can I find the best fit for my system?

Have found a $23 DAC that has the right in/outs:
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWJSJ97/?coliid=I19FXYAV1GK3E&colid=3KB0YOOBPI4E4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)

But unsure whether the experiment would be a waste of money.
Thank you in advance for any thoughts you might have to help me out.