Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AES/EBU to SPDIF, best and/or cheapest way? (Read 2990 times) previous topic - next topic

AES/EBU to SPDIF, best and/or cheapest way?

Hey folks,

I have an idea about this question already, but I want to get HA feedback.

Basically, I'm going to be purchasing a sampler which has AES/EBU XLR jacks for digital I/O, and I want to be able to connect it to my coaxial digital SPDIF sound card to record its' input.

There are converter boxes, which seem expensive, but from what I understand most AES/EBU to coax cables should work. Is that the optimal 'cheap but functional' solution? Are there any limitations? My objective is to get full digital sound in my system versus using the analog 1/4" outputs.

Regards,
- Spike

Re: AES/EBU to SPDIF, best and/or cheapest way?

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, basically that is what I am looking for. It's less about knowing what to use, rather than, is this likely to work :)

It's going to be an E-MU sampler, likely an E4XT Ultra, and my sound card is an E-MU 0404.

Reply #3
Generally the cable mentioned by Fairy would be the right choice as it matches levels and impedances when converting AES/EBU to S/PDif.
As the protocols are slightly different there still is no guarantee that it will work without problems, though.

But if your soundcard is the EMU 404 from 2004 then you'll don't need the level and impedance matching but could use just an adapter cable equipped with an XLR at one end and a RCA at the other end; the soundcard offers only RCA digital inputs (transformer coupled) and the protocols (and maybe some matching elements) are switched by software.

Reply #4
Thanks a lot for your reply!! Very helpful.