Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Limit drive speed while reading (but not while ripping or scanning) (Read 3127 times) previous topic - next topic

Limit drive speed while reading (but not while ripping or scanning)

Drive setting
  • Limit drive speed while reading

is a great option, makes the drive silent while playing CD but also when replaygain scanning or while ripping.
    Thus those two operations are really slow and we don't need them to be silent.

This option should only apply when listening to music.

Limit drive speed while reading (but not while ripping or scanning)

Reply #1
Wow, good idea there!
Here is a suggestion :

Code: [Select]
[x] Limit drive speed while reading
  (o) Limit drive speed while listening only
  ( ) Always limit drive speed (listening, scanning, ripping, etc.)

Re: Limit drive speed while reading (but not while ripping or scanning)

Reply #2
Sorry to see no one needs that too.
I still use CD, here.
I constantly have to change that setting when ripping (uncheck) or listening (check).

Re: Limit drive speed while reading (but not while ripping or scanning)

Reply #4
Write speed has nothing to do with read speed. And the limit of 1x is only applied by the OS when playing the CDs digitally using legacy methods. Digital extraction directly, like what most rippers and digital players do on their own, is not constrained by any read speed limits unless the software specifically requests it.

And last I checked, most drives can only be restricted to a minimum of 2x audio read speed anyway, hence why 2x would be a better choice, or at least, asking the drive what its lowest audio extraction speed is and setting it when playing back.

The thing is, back when this was first requested, inputs did not have a flag to indicate when they were being used for real time playback or not. This feature is actually feasible for Peter to implement now.