Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3/AAC/Vorbis/Opus vs lossless ABX test (one song) (Read 6452 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3/AAC/Vorbis/Opus vs lossless ABX test (one song)

Encoders used: LAME 3.99.5, QAAC 2.59, oggenc v2.87, opusenc 2016-05-22
Headphones: One EHP-303E in-ear headphones (costed 1500BsF/$1.5)
Equalizer: Equalizer APO (software), screenshot (imgur)
Song: USAO - Dynamite

MP3 V2 (~192kbps) vs FLAC
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note: Start time is 1:07.5, the sound effect on the right channel around 1:08.5 is a bit muffled on the MP3. It sounds a bit more "centered" on the MP3. I only listened to the "X" sample.

AAC VBR Q82 (~160kbps) vs FLAC
Note: Start time is 1:05.0, there's a sound effect around 1:06.2 that has a slightly lower volume in the AAC file.

Vorbis Q5 (~160kbps) vs FLAC
Note: Start time is 1:05.0, sounds a bit different.

Opus 144kbps VBR vs FLAC
Note: Start time is 1:05.0, sounds a bit different. The difference is more noticeable if I start on X then click on A. I can't pass an ABX test between Opus 144kbps and Vorbis Q5 for some reason.

MP3 V1 (~224kbps) vs FLAC: failed
AAC Q91 (~192kbps) vs FLAC: failed
Vorbis Q6 (~192kbps) vs FLAC: failed
Opus 160kbps VBR vs FLAC: failed

1:00 in the full song is 0:00 in the attached file.

Re: MP3/AAC/Vorbis/Opus vs lossless ABX test (one song)

Reply #1
That's some very significant EQ, was it done to specifically target problem frequencies, or are those the general settings you use for listening?

Reply #2
That's some very significant EQ, was it done to specifically target problem frequencies, or are those the general settings you use for listening?
Those are the settings that I use for listening. Without the EQ, I can notice the difference between AAC Q64 (~128kbps) and FLAC but not Opus 96kbps and FLAC.

Reply #3
Very interesting :-)

Did you try LAME -V0 as well, just for curiosity?

Reply #4
Very interesting :-)

Did you try LAME -V0 as well, just for curiosity?

Yes. My final pval value was over 30%, same with the other formats that I marked as "failed"

Reply #5
Ah OK, I didn't get that initially :-)

Reply #6
Today I managed to ABX a 128 kbps vrb qaac, and I was going to post my results, but another venezuelan have already done it. jajaja ¿De qué ciudad eres? outstanding results, I actually tried to replicate your results twice, both ended up being 7/10. :( The track you provided is a lot harder for me.

If you're interested, I can link you the track which I'm able to ABX, to see if you can ABX it at even higher bitrates since I can't replicate your results.