Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does anyone know of a good audio hoster? (Read 6542 times) previous topic - next topic

Does anyone know of a good audio hoster?

Hi!
I'm searching for a good audio hoster. My desire is something that can playback the music via flash, maybe even embed it on other sites. Plus supports not just sucky mp3, like vorbis (flac would be sci-fi I guess). Does anyone know of something like this?

Reply #1
Bandcamp or archive.org (the last only if you want to release own music/audio to the public). Bancamp supports at least FLAC and MP3, probably Vorbis. Archive.org supports automatic derivation of lossy formats (both MP3 and Vorbis) from lossless (WAV, FLAC) uploads.

Reply #2
How about SoundCloud?
What formats can I upload?
We support MP3, WAVE, FLAC, OGG, AIFF, MP2, and/or AAC files.
You get a Flash player that provides a visual waveform, the ability to add comments to specific time-points, etc. (and integrates reasonably well with Facebook, if you’re into that sort of thing).

Reply #3
Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out.

Reply #4
How about SoundCloud?
You get a Flash player that provides a visual waveform, the ability to add comments to specific time-points, etc. (and integrates reasonably well with Facebook, if you’re into that sort of thing).

Seemed nice at first, but it turns out it transcodes into 128 mp3 so that kind of defeats the purpose of uploading in a superior format. (I could use box.net which only plays mp3 but doesn't transcode)
Bandcamp or archive.org (the last only if you want to release own music/audio to the public). Bancamp supports at least FLAC and MP3, probably Vorbis. Archive.org supports automatic derivation of lossy formats (both MP3 and Vorbis) from lossless (WAV, FLAC) uploads.

The first one looks like a site for people want to sell their music, but I'll check it out.
It requires band name, genre, location at signup.

Reply #5
There might be a high quality option out there, I don't know.
(Well, there's Youtube, too, which I think will stream good quality if you select 480p or higher.)

But another more "advanced" option is to host your files at some place that allows direct links (Dropbox does, with some limits) and then post the files with the new (html5) audio tag.
Files will be streamed in original quality without needing Flash in all current browsers.

One downside -at least for now- is that not all browsers support the same formats. Firefox, Opera and Chrome support OGG Vorbis, while IE and Safari support MP3. I think they all support WAV (edit: looks like IE doesn't, see below), but WAV obviously doesn't make much sense over the internet anyway.

EDIT: Here's some more info with an example for you to try.
It's simply this:
Code: [Select]
<audio src="song.ogg" controls="controls">
</audio>

(Instead of song.ogg you'd put in the full direct link)

EDIT2: I was bored a little bit.
I uploaded a test OGG file to Dropbox and at least here (using Opera) it simply plays inside the browser with a player if I visit the direct link (I didn't use any audio tags anywhere):
[link removed by request]

And here's a html page with the same OGG file in audio tags and a MP3 version, too (so it should play in IE/Safari as well):
[link removed by request]

Let me know if it works for you.

Reply #6
[bandcamp] looks like a site for people want to sell their music
It requires band name, genre, location at signup.

That's because it's exactly that.

Reply #7
How about SoundCloud?
?
Seemed nice at first, but it turns out it transcodes into 128 mp3 so that kind of defeats the purpose of uploading in a superior format.
Darn! But thanks for the info; I’ve only used it briefly for unimportant stuff and didn’t do any research/snooping into the underlying tech.

Edit: Another I’ve used similarly is 4Shared, which according to its FAQ supports MP3, Ogg, and WAV (and MIDI); it definitely lets the viewer download the file at its original quality, but again I didn’t look beneath the hood, so you’ll need to double-check whether the streaming player—which is embeddable in HTML, forums, and Facebook posts—performs any transcoding.

Reply #8
How about SoundCloud?

sound cloud is awesome, i prefer it the most out of the best known audio hosters..

Reply #9
Seemed nice at first, but it turns out it transcodes into 128 mp3 so that kind of defeats the purpose of uploading in a superior format. (I could use box.net which only plays mp3 but doesn't transcode)
Only the streamed version is transcoded. If you allow downloads, you can download the original in full-fidelity. I've stored 96/32 floating-point WAVs there.

Reply #10
How about SoundCloud?

sound cloud is awesome, i prefer it the most out of the best known audio hosters..

Real unfortunate that it reconverts.

Reply #11
Searched around a bit more. So far toofiles and box.net turned out the best. Though neither support vorbis at least they don't reconvert V0 mp3-s into crappier quality mp3-s, and support embedding with a flash player.

Reply #12
Did you see my edit about 4Shared, and what did you think if so? As Canar said about SoundCloud, it definitely allows the listener to download the original file; but I cannot confirm whether or not it transcodes the streaming version used in the (embeddable) player.

Reply #13
Did you see my edit about 4Shared, and what did you think if so? As Canar said about SoundCloud, it definitely allows the listener to download the original file; but I cannot confirm whether or not it transcodes the streaming version used in the (embeddable) player.

I didn't see it. Now I checked it out. I didn't find the player you mentioned. So far only managed to embed a folder.

On soundcloud I'm quite sure it reconverts. The media fetcher addons I have download a 128bit mp3 of the song half the size of the original.

Reply #14
Soundcloud does transcode, however you can enable downloading of the original.
As Canar said, you can download wav files, etc if you enable it when you upload.
I've downloaded high quality files from several of my favorite artists there.
It seems like a reasonable choice to host.

Reply #15
I didn't find the [4Shared] player you mentioned. So far only managed to embed a folder.
Well, the link I gave is to a playable and downloadable MP3 (aptly titled), and a Flash player loads in the middle of the page. If you upload an audio file of your own, you should get a link to an equivalent page for it.

Reply #16
I didn't find the [4Shared] player you mentioned. So far only managed to embed a folder.
Well, the link I gave is to a playable and downloadable MP3 (aptly titled), and a Flash player loads in the middle of the page. If you upload an audio file of your own, you should get a link to an equivalent page for it.

The problem was that the filenames were lost during upload, and I didn't add an extension when I renamed it. Anyway mp3 works, with embedding and all. Can't embed vorbis and hillariously it's reconverted to 64 kbps mp3 in the preview.

Reply #17
Hi!
Tried minus.com a few days ago. It seems its the best so far. It plays Vorbis, AAC, MP3 online, also you can download it.

Reply #18
Darn!
It looks like they screwed it up. Now it always plays a reconverted AAC...