Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Open Source Firmware For iRiver players (Read 163044 times) previous topic - next topic

Open Source Firmware For iRiver players

Reply #75
Excellent news indeed, can't wait till its in a stable state, now it has playback i think more people will be interested in using, bug reporting/fixing.

Gapless playback wohhaaa, can't wait for mpc and flac playback.

Still lots of work to be done overall but its getting there

Reply #76
flac playback is there 

Reply #77
flac playback is there 

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And WavPack: see [a href="http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SoundCodecs#Current_status]here[/url].

Reply #78
Are they aware that Lame is storing the gapless data into the Info header?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think they are. I asked Linus some time ago (on iriver.us board) if they would use this info for gapless mp3 playback and he said they will use it (or something similar )

edit: [a href="http://www.misticriver.net/boards/showpost.php?p=58881&postcount=4]linus quote[/url]
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If they really are aware of the [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16020&]LAME tag method[/url] for getting gapless playback, maybe they should update their GaplessHowTo page with this info, since this method is clearly superior to the methods they already mention on that page.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #79
Hi PoisonDan
They are ware of the lame tag method for gapless... The point is that the GaplessHowTo page only concern Archos player which codec is hardware...

The iHP does have software codec and Rockbox is aware of the Lametag gapless solution... It will be used indeed...

Just a precision: FLAC is now supported with audio playback... Wavpack is not yet: the decoding is realtime but there is no output for now...

Stay tuned...

PS: For more details about codecs implementation and status check this:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main...#Current_status

Reply #80
Hi,

I hope there will be support of AAC, especially AACPlus, for the final/stable Version of the firmware, because I want to use my AACPlus files encoded with Nero Digital AACPlus..

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

Reply #81
Hi,

I hope there will be support of AAC, especially AACPlus, for the final/stable Version of the firmware, because I want to use my AACPlus files encoded with Nero Digital AACPlus..

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304860"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Rockbox team is planning to support the biggest amount of audio formats (codecs)... There i's no implementation of AAC/HE-AAC for now althought...
As MPC will be supported quite soon I guess AAC will have to support SBR to stay attractive...

Reply #82
I have a Rio Karma (damn I'm wishing that I'd picked up an Ihp when I had the chance) and I think it would be nice if you could add mpc support to it.

Reply #83
Would this work with SlimX 350?

Reply #84
Would this work with SlimX 350?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305064"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Kwanbis,
Unfortunately support for iMP350 is very unexpectable since it's completely différent and quite less powerfull hardware, and also the iMP350 is quite old. Damn i loved iMP350 design and i regret to had lost it during an accident but to be true it's very doubtful that Rockbox will be ported to it, sorry... (i repeat i'm not Rbx member in any way, but i've learned enough about the project to answer without doubt)

About a Karma port also it's quite uncertain, the team has chosen iHP1xx for his great hardware spécifications, the iRiver fw limitations were to be sorted out precisely by Rbx firmware...

Karma has very merged feedback about reliability unfortunately... In addition his built-in firmware is yet quite impressive (without MPC of course that's it)

About eventual ports onto others DAP the most likely to be concerned in next future are ones using same processor (Motorola Coldfire CF5249 @ 140Mhz):
- iRiver H3xx (LinusN who released the H1xx bootloader has bought one!)
- iRiver iHP110/115 (oldest versions of H1xx, a little different from H120/140) Linus also bought one recently...
- iAudio M3, M3L
- iAudio M5, M5L, X5 and X5L

Also note recent iriver H10 [20go] or others versions aren't to be ported since they use very différent HW (portalplayer processor also used in iPOD, and which spécifications aren't public!!! :/ )

Cheers,
Tang

Reply #85
Hi,

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Rockbox team is planning to support the biggest amount of audio formats (codecs)... There i's no implementation of AAC/HE-AAC for now althought...
As MPC will be supported quite soon I guess AAC will have to support SBR to stay attractive...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304888"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hmm, I don't understand what you mean.. "I guess AAC will have to support SBR to stay attractive... "<<-- HE-AAC/AACplus v1 = AAC+SBR and AACplus v2 = AAC+SBR+PS and Nero Digital uses AACplus, so my files support SBR..

see: [a href="http://www.codingtechnologies.com/products/aacPlus.htm]http://www.codingtechnologies.com/products/aacPlus.htm[/url]

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

Reply #86
Hi insurrection,
When i was talking about SBR in fact it was to say that since MPC is supported the AAC support had to be extended to AAC+ (SBR) to stay interesting...

Anyway it's just kinda hypothesis, the Rbx team is very openminded, there is no AAC(+) support for now but I'm pretty sure it will come at least one day...

For now the supported codecs list is quite amazing:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main...#Current_status

Still work needed for MPC playback as you see...

I remind something important about lame gapless:
12 Jun 14:38 Thom apps/plugins/codecmpa.c 1.6 First attempt at gapless MP3 support using LAME header info.

Reply #87
This is great!

I wonder if they will keep it strict with mpc specs and add support for replaygain?

Any plans for replaygain support for other file formats?

Would be awesome!

Reply #88
This is great!

I wonder if they will keep it strict with mpc specs and add support for replaygain?

Any plans for replaygain support for other file formats?

Would be awesome!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305823"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

RG support is indeed planned... Not begun yet thought... Stay tuned being patient...
Cheers!

Reply #89
What about IMP-900 ? It's quite new... I'd be extremely happy with at least vorbis support. I'm so tired sending requests to Iriver developers. They seem to ignore all of them 

Reply #90
WavPack playback is now implemented with the latest H1XX firmware. Check out the Recent CVS Activity at the bottom of the Rockbox Website

Reply #91
WavPack playback is now implemented with the latest H1XX firmware. Check out the Recent CVS Activity at the bottom of the Rockbox Website
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305913"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hehe, David's efforts to optimize wavpack to the M68K processor are paying off.

Soon, encoding (both lossless and lossy) will come!

Reply #92
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305913"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hehe, David's efforts to optimize wavpack to the M68K processor are paying off.

Soon, encoding (both lossless and lossy) will come!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305921"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Roberto,
Thanks to David and the whole HA community... I've just read that the MPC developers had also given some help to rockbox team concerning MPC implementation...
Simply nice!
Best regards,
Tanguy

Reply #93
What about IMP-900 ? It's quite new... I'd be extremely happy with at least vorbis support. I'm so tired sending requests to Iriver developers. They seem to ignore all of them 
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To be true the Rbx team will gigve priority to player that use common hardware i.e Motorola Coldfire...

It concerns iRiver H3xx, iAudio M3, M5 and X5...

The iRiver H3xx is probably next to come in Rockbox port since LinusN who has BDM wiggler and who released iHP1xx bootloader, has bought one recently... He said he'll probably work on H3xx bootloader when iHP1xx port will come in advanced statement...

Actualy the documentation phase is quite advanced for H3xx but more informations are needed on some components.

See below for H1xx and H3xx hardware differences:
[a href="http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IriverH3XXHardwareComponents#Comparison_between_the_hardware_]http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main...n_the_hardware_[/url]

For more details on plateform concerned or not by a port:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/NonArchos

Reply #94
The iHP1xx is finaly the first DAP playing MPC... Okay it's crappy support actually...
20 Jun 12:24   Thom   apps/plugins/codecmpc.c 1.2   Musepack files should play (poorly) now.

I haven't tested yet I'll post therefor...

Reply #95
tested MPC playback, there is some flaw so work is still needed.. But it's a great start...

Reply #96
tested MPC playback, there is some flaw so work is still needed.. But it's a great start...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307569"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, Musepack playback is quite simply too slow as of now, and will probably continue to be so for some time. Libmpcdec is proving to be hard to make work efficiently on our platform.

Reply #97
I was under the impresion that MPC decoded fast and was less cpu intensive, can anybody comment? if this is the case then i expect that its just MPC that needs optimising.

Reply #98
Yes, in principle, it's a pretty efficient codec, since it doesn't do as much advanced processing as other codecs, however, the fixed point implementation (libmpcdec) is very dependent on a full 64 bit multiplier, which the Coldfire doesn't have (we only get the top 32 bits of a 64 bit multiply). So currently most 64 bit multiplies are handled very, very slowly. This could be fixed by doing prescaling here and there, at the cost of accuracy, but libmpcdec doesn't make this easy either, since there's so much variable length shifting being done all over the place.
So yes, it is very possible to make it run well, but the job isn't as easy as the other codecs were, and I currently don't have a lot of time to spend on making it faster.

Reply #99
Hi Preglow,
thanks for theses explanations...

Some nice information about Rockbox (and bad for iRiver fame). It's about the GLITCH with WAVE recording... It will interest a lot JeanLucPicard i guess...

I've talked on IRC since I've read at MisticRiver that Rockbox solve the issue (see HERE). In fact we do know it's a stupid software bug since someone at MR had found out a very crazy trick to avoid the glitch even with iRiver firmware:
http://www.misticriver.net/boards/showthread.php?t=23364 (thanks to Daven for the link)

Indeed with pushing the iHP joystick during record the glitch will disappear...

A very silly situation as you can see... I personnaly wonder if the GLITCH wasn't sort of unfair "WATERMARK" from iRiver since there have been a lot of request and a big petition to fix this...

Cheers...
Anyway seems this bad point will belong to past now...