Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Open Source Firmware For iRiver players (Read 163044 times) previous topic - next topic

Open Source Firmware For iRiver players

Reply #50
News progress for the Audio part (wave output):
  <<O>>  Difference Topic IriverPort  (r1.107 - 23 Feb 2005 - RinatZakirov)
Changed:
<
<   

Sound  10% (very basic output working (sin-wave)
>
>   

Sound  40% ( plays samples with original quality)
Changed:
<
<   

I2S driver  10% Basic I2S output, but not interrupt-based yet
>
>   

I2S driver  50% I2S output works, both DMA and interrupts work
Changed:
<
<   

Audio ADC/DAC driver  10% UDA1380 test "working" source binary (thanks XShock)
>
>   

Audio ADC/DAC driver  40% UDA1380 test plays raw WAV files source(old) binary(old) (thanks XShocK?)

:love:

Reply #51
1 Mar 14:40   Linus   apps/debug_menu.c 1.105   Debug interface for the CPU frequency adjustment
1 Mar 14:39   Linus   apps/plugins/mpa2wav.c 1.6  iRiver: Make better use of internal RAM, and larger buffers
1 Mar 14:38   Linus   apps/plugins/metronome.c 1.14  Fix for adjustable frequency
1 Mar 14:36   Linus   apps/plugin.c 1.74
apps/plugin.h 1.85  Added cpu_frequency to the plugin API
1 Mar 14:35   Linus   firmware/export/config-gmini120.h 1.13
firmware/export/config-gminisp.h 1.2
firmware/export/config-h100.h 1.18
firmware/export/system.h 1.23
firmware/system.c 1.42  Adjustable CPU frequency for iRiver
1 Mar 14:33   Linus   firmware/export/kernel.h 1.13
firmware/kernel.c 1.37  Export tick_start() to allow for tick timer reinit when changing CPU frequency
1 Mar 14:32   Linus   firmware/drivers/lcd.S 1.5  iRiver: more relaxed LCD timing
1 Mar 14:31   Linus   firmware/drivers/ata.c 1.145  iRiver: more relaxed default timing
1 Mar 13:35   Linus   apps/codecs/Makefile 1.7
apps/codecs/Tremor/Makefile 1.4
apps/codecs/liba52/Makefile 1.5
apps/codecs/libmad/Makefile 1.3
apps/codecs/libwavpack/Makefile 1.3  Correct dependencies for codec builds
1 Mar 12:25   Linus   firmware/app.lds 1.42
firmware/crt0.S 1.28  iRiver: Moved the main thread stack to IRAM

Reply #52
apps/codecs/Tremor/Makefile 1.4
apps/codecs/liba52/Makefile 1.5
apps/codecs/libmad/Makefile 1.3
apps/codecs/libwavpack/Makefile 1.3  Correct dependencies for codec builds
1 Mar 12:25   Linus   firmware/app.lds 1.42
firmware/crt0.S 1.28  iRiver: Moved the main thread stack to IRAM[/quote]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278278"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

i see codec makefiles, does this mean its capable of playing back mp3 and wavpack now? This looks really promising, can't wait to test a safe release.

Reply #53
i see codec makefiles, does this mean its capable of playing back mp3 and wavpack now? This looks really promising, can't wait to test a safe release.

That looks like it would also include Vorbis too  . Quite interesting.
budding I.T professional

Reply #54
Some latest progress:
Mp3 decoding at 104% realtime and FLAC decoding at 170%. Both at 120MHz.

NB: 170% for FLAC is for one file, not every... I imagine it's the same for mp3 so optimisation is still planned...

Reply #55
I quote Deadman from MR since i didn't visit Rockbox IRC channel recently:
BTW preglow is making great strides in MP3 decoding with 192K MP3 (Lame alt-preset standard) being decoded at 200% realtime.

The big problem at present is no real inroads seem to be made into coding an API for codecs to 'plugin' and output to the audio out. It's a major job apparently? Also the remote LCD needs major work since the interface of Rockbox needs to work on a smaller screensize.

Also to add i've tested the Rockbox version with single wave output and it work very well...
Cheers

Reply #56
Some latest progress:

NB: 170% for FLAC is for one file, not every... I imagine it's the same for mp3 so optimisation is still planned... [{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that sounds about right.  as another data point, I just ported FLAC to the NSLU2 (was very easy because of [a href="http://www.nslu2-linux.org/]these guys[/url]) which is a 266 MHz XScale (ARM based), 133 bogomips, and decoding is about 6x realtime (with no asm optimizations).

Josh

(BTW the NSLU2 makes a great cheap (~$80) hackable audio server.  flac, vorbis, transcode, mt-daapd have also been ported, only thing left is slimserver).

Reply #57
Some latest progress:

NB: 170% for FLAC is for one file, not every... I imagine it's the same for mp3 so optimisation is still planned... [{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that sounds about right.  as another data point, I just ported FLAC to the NSLU2 (was very easy because of [a href="http://www.nslu2-linux.org/]these guys[/url]) which is a 266 MHz XScale (ARM based), 133 bogomips, and decoding is about 6x realtime (with no asm optimizations).

Josh

(BTW the NSLU2 makes a great cheap (~$80) hackable audio server.  flac, vorbis, transcode, mt-daapd have also been ported, only thing left is slimserver).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281065"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Josh thanks for this... I'll refere to your post on some boards i like...
Bye!

Reply #58
Linus is now working on the ApiAudio...

Reply #59
A piece of news which will for sure interest many people at HA place:
The team (Rasher and Preglow specialy) is working on implementing libmuspack the MPC decoder to Rockbox code...

I imagine this won't let anyone uninterested...
Regards,
Tanguy

Reply #60
Yes, these are really good news

Reply #61
Thats fantastic news, if iriver has support for mpc i see no reason to ever use mp3 again, UNLESS my iriver explodes and i have to by a new portable...

its also my understanding that mpc requires less cpu time to decode, somebody correct me if i'm wrong, it also has a great filesize to quality ratio  could replaygain ever be implemented in roxbox.. i dunno.. gapless woohaa

Reply #62
Eh eh thanks guys i was bored by "monolog"...

Reply #63
The team (Rasher and Preglow specialy) is working on implementing libmuspack the MPC decoder to Rockbox code...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290070"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ah, the part I've been waiting for  When they're done my iHP will own even more than it does now.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #64
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ah, the part I've been waiting for  When they're done my iHP will own even more than it does now.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290097"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But we have to be patient!
Still no audio support even if it's probably nearly coming for mp3 since Linus is working on...

For a short view of the iRiverport status check this:
[a href="http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IriverPortForNoobs]iRiverPort for the noobs[/url]
iRiverPort status for the noobs

Reply #65
# Mpeg-audio  CVS code runs fairly efficiently, but there's still room for more optimisation. Capable of realtime operation.

# FLAC   Code with some optimizations in CVS. Capable of realtime operation.

# Remote   75% (buttons, low-level LCD driver done, but untested)

Reply #66

I imagine this won't let anyone uninterested...
Regards,
Tanguy
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=290070"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thinking about MPC on my iRiver gives me a woody 
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #68
Linux suceed to make partial mp3 real playing support with sound (only 5 sec):
http://www.rockbox.org/mail/archive/rockbo...5-04/0161.shtml

Thanks to Mooscamaro for relaying the info...

And congratulation to Linux of course!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=292155"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oooh, getting excited now 

BTW isn't it Linus?

Reply #69
Yes sorry i was too excited: it's LinusN to be precise...

Reply #70
Hi HA guys,
The rockbox iRiver iHP1xx port comes nearer... Real playback with gapless will be there quite soon... Here a quote of yesterday IRC log (thanks for Muesli to publicate this at MR place >>HERE<<!)
(16:19:24) (Slasheri) now doing a new test. there was some bugs present in the code
(16:28:44) (rasher) Slasheri: how did it go?
(16:29:00) (Slasheri) rasher: still one minor bug delaying the test
(16:29:05) (rasher) ah
(16:39:3 (Slasheri) minor bug found, problem was that in code there was =- and should be -=
(16:39:47) (preglow) ahhaha, nice
(16:39:51) (ashridah) rofl.
(16:39:52) (Slasheri) indeed
(16:41:49) (Slasheri) ashridah: aah, now it was 100% gapless switch =)
(16:41:57) (Slasheri) preglow, sorry
(16:41:57) (preglow) the test tone as well?
(16:42:00) (Slasheri) yes
(16:42:01) (Slasheri) very well
(16:42:03) (preglow) excellent
(16:42:05) (preglow) then you're good to go
(16:42:07) (Slasheri)
(16:45:11) (preglow) and you do gapless by just shaving the last frame of a song a bit?
(16:47:09) (Slasheri) with ogg files no raw pcm data is shaved out
(16:47:22) (Slasheri) but with mp3s that will be necessary

(16:48:20) (Slasheri) i already have some ideas how to do that with mp3's
Shagnar: (16:48:57) (preglow) ahh, then tremor does it for you
(16:49:04) (Slasheri) yep
(16:49:14) (preglow) how long until we'll see a patch again?
(16:49:44) (Slasheri) maybe a few more days. It would be too soon to release it today because there is still lot to do
(16:52:32) (Slasheri) now i could do some filebuffer optimizations so the same codecs will not be loaded to file buffer between every song. Only when codec changes, that loading would be necessary
(16:53:45) (Slasheri) currently the rockbox will also fully load the ram buffer, no matter even if it's necessary to cut the last song
(16:53:4 (preglow) codecs should be loaded when you load files into the file buffer
(16:53:5 (Slasheri) yes, i will do it to work that way
(16:54:0 (preglow) we'll need to branch out the iram copy in some way
(16:54:23) (preglow) so we can switch codecs without having to load them from disk
(16:55:41) (Slasheri) in my current implementation, all necessary codecs are loaded into filebuffer and when it's necessary to use a codec, it will be loaded to iram from that filebuffer instantly
(16:56:12) (Slasheri) the switch is gapless because there is audiobuffer also
(16:56:30) (Slasheri) and that won't limit how many different codecs can be in the buffer at a time
(16:58:22) (preglow) holy shit, vorbis is good at lower bitrates
(16:58:25) (preglow) it beats aac to a pulp
(16:58:44) (Slasheri) 7
Shagnar: und s beste:
Shagnar: (16:59:23) (preglow) i've encoded an album with avg bitrate 33kbps, and it sounds wonderful
(16:59:35) (preglow) i can hear it's encoded, sure, but quality is surprisingly good
(16:59:55) (ashridah) preglow: yeah, it does better quality at lower rates
(17:00:14) (ashridah) not quite as good as speex, depending on the job, but good for low-rate streaming
(17:00:15) (rasher) speaking of aac...
(17:00:20) (ashridah) (of music)
(17:00:33) (preglow) of course, but speex only does voice
(17:01:13) (ashridah) yes

Reply #71
Thanks for keeping us informed, Tang. I can't wait to see a full featured rockbox release for iRiver

Reply #72
Are they aware that Lame is storing the gapless data into the Info header?

Reply #73
Are they aware that Lame is storing the gapless data into the Info header?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think they are. I asked Linus some time ago (on iriver.us board) if they would use this info for gapless mp3 playback and he said they will use it (or something similar )

edit: [a href="http://www.misticriver.net/boards/showpost.php?p=58881&postcount=4]linus quote[/url]

Reply #74
Hi guys,
For some days a patch adding playback was released by Slashery... It' has been commited to CVS and it's currently available with the daily build...

The playback is for Ogg Vorbis and Mp3 only actually... To precise Vorbis is fully GAPLESS yet!!!
Lame mp3 isn't fully since it add a very short but still hearable gap... i imagine they work for correcting this issue...

Anyway the playback is highly a "first shot" not fully ergonomic (no seeking for exemple) and still somewhat buggy...

Nevertheless it's a great progress and it has to be know that the actual playback feature is not expérimental "hack": it's very probably to be the final multicodec architecture but still far for finalisation...

Best regards,
Tanguy