Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Open Source Firmware For iRiver players (Read 163034 times) previous topic - next topic

Open Source Firmware For iRiver players

Reply #100
Some nice information about Rockbox (and bad for iRiver fame). It's about the GLITCH with WAVE recording... It will interest a lot JeanLucPicard i guess...

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308141"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You bet it does ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #101

Some nice information about Rockbox (and bad for iRiver fame). It's about the GLITCH with WAVE recording... It will interest a lot JeanLucPicard i guess...

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308141"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You bet it does ...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308144"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #102
You bet I does ...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=308144"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
  Seems to be in agreement with your profile:
Interests     Music, Motorsports, PC-Audio, HiFi, 69 ...

Reply #103
I agree: The Rockbox firmware rocks!

(David Bryant just sent me an iRiver iHP 120 device...  )

Reply #104
Glad to see this making some great progress, unlike the Neuros thats promised playback of new formats for years, even open source firmware, just to have the team abandon it before getting anything useful done.

Reply #105
unlike the Neuros thats promised playback of new formats for years, even open source firmware, just to have the team abandon it before getting anything useful done.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the problem with Neuros is that they try to address too many ideas at once.

A cursory read over open.neurosaudio.com shows that they want to (simultaneously)

- [a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/neuros442linux/]Port Linux[/url] to their player platform
- Port GCC to their DSP platform (TI)
- Support FLAC and Musepack decoding (and FLAC encoding)

They are so obsessed in being open source that they are even considering going for interpreted stuff, like Python and Java, to try to fit a crazy mix of licenses together!

Honestly, from what I can see there, it's all trigger phrases, vapour and megalomania.

Reply #106
IIRC, these recent developments have nothing to do with the Neuros/Neuros II firmware.  They are programming and brainstorming for a new portable the Neuros team is going to work on, abandoning the Neuros/Neuros II (I believe they have officially discontinued production of these units recently as well)

Reply #107

(David Bryant just sent me an iRiver iHP 120 device...   )
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=311328"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Roberto,
Very happy for you... Thanks to David Bryant for this and also for his great work on WAVPACK implémentation... He makes me happy to have tried to connect Rbx and HA...

Cheers,
Tanguy

Reply #108

(David Bryant just sent me an iRiver iHP 120 device...   )
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=311328"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree wholeheartedly.  I've had mine forever and Rockbox is like an audio nerd's dream come true

And big props to David Bryant too because of how great the WavPack implementation is
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #109
Just a quick post to announce that I have put in ReplayGain support for WavPack.

Also, many thanks to Tang and DreamTactix291 for your continuing support, but all the credit should go to the dedicated programmers of RockBox. I'm just filling in around the edges... 

Reply #110
Well I don't know why I didn't put Dave B and David Bryant together

Rest assured I'm more than grateful for this very awesome firmware on my H100s.  The replaygain is very much appreciated as it's very much not fun to have your ears blasted out due to one album being almost 10db louder than the one before it.

Reply #111
Rest assured I'm more than grateful for this very awesome firmware on my H100s. The replaygain is very much appreciated as it's very much not fun to have your ears blasted out due to one album being almost 10db louder than the one before it.

I recently purchased the Back To The Future soundtrack from 1985 and I was amazed that the dynamic range was good  (amongst other things including mixing and producing). It's the first album I have ever come across were I haven't had to to use replaygain to adjust the dynamics due to some ridiculous mastering. It's good see replaygain support for WavPack on the I-River though 
budding I.T professional

Reply #112
Just a quick post to announce that I have put in ReplayGain support for WavPack.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315775"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nicely complementing the VorbisGain support I added the day before.

Reply #113

Why, oh why, didn't I wait just a couple of months longer instead of buying my Karma - I had already been waiting for so long...

Argh. Argh.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #114

Why, oh why, didn't I wait just a couple of months longer instead of buying my Karma - I had already been waiting for so long...

Argh. Argh.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315788"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Heh, I bought two Karma's in fall of last year (for the wife and I). Recently space has been getting sparse on them since we like to carry our entire music collection with us. Was originally using Vorbis -q4.5, then -q4.25... down to -q2 now with about 3 gigs of free space left. This project is pretty cool and now I'm wishing I had gotten a 40GB iRiver too. Oh well, hopefully the Rio Chroma or Neuros 3 will fit the bill by around Christmas this year. Can't complain too much though; playback quality is what I wanted and exactly what I got with the Karma after all.

Reply #115
Is is safe to use now or do you risk your player doing it? Would love to try it, but not that much

Reply #116
Is is safe to use now or do you risk your player doing it? Would love to try it, but not that much tongue.gif

There is risk involved in using rockbox but if you follow the instructions and understand what you are doing and what installing and using rockbox involves then your experiance should be good one.

However as rockbox is still heavily in development there are bugs and some of the daily builds even get broken but are usually fixed soon after. some of the original features are not implementeed yet but there are features that no other play has.

I'm just compiling the latest sources now to test replaygain

Way too cool having lossless wavpack gapless and replaygained...

awsome work

Reply #117
I am looking at purchasing the Iriver H140, and have a few questions about current rockbox support: 

The download section only lists H100 and H120 for firmware downloads, will one of them work with the H140? 

Does the current firmware implementations support reading of APEv2 tags?

Also, how is gapless support and replaygain support coming along with other formats besides wavpack?

Reply #118
I am looking at purchasing the Iriver H140, and have a few questions about current rockbox support: 

The download section only lists H100 and H120 for firmware downloads, will one of them work with the H140? 

Does the current firmware implementations support reading of APEv2 tags?

Also, how is gapless support and replaygain support coming along with other formats besides wavpack?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315871"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

H120 is also used for H140

APEv2 tags work on wavpack
I don't think rockbox reads APEv2 tags with mp3 (can somebody confirm)
ogg and flac tags seem to work ok

flac ogg wavpack mp3 are mostly gapless, i say mostly because rockbox is still being developed and i have encountered the odd buffering/gapless issue now and then, currently i'm listeing mainly to wavpack and my ambient mixes are gap free.

replaygain for rockbox has just been introduced and currently only working on wavpack and ogg, hopefully somebody with the skills will add support for the other formats

Reply #119
awesome. 

Reply #120
replaygain for rockbox has just been introduced and currently only working on wavpack and ogg, hopefully somebody with the skills will add support for the other formats

it probably won't be long... replaygain synthesis is format agnostic, the only format-specific thing to do is read and parse the tag and I think all codecs are using the same name and format.

Josh

Reply #121
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315775"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nicely complementing the VorbisGain support I added the day before.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315783"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hehe, yeah I guess I should have mentioned that too! It was very late here... 

And this is exactly what I'm talking about; Lear did all the hard work of getting ReplayGain working and I just came in and patched up WavPack to use the functionality he just added.

Reply #122
Now ReplayGain is also supported for mp3 using ID3v2 foobar method...

Quite minor for audiophile but nice feature anyway the latest build add support for jpeg in 33 greyscale shades! Lovely, isn't it?...

Reply #123
Amazing work from the rockbox dev's again with the addition of replaygain and jpg support.

I didnt think it be possible to get a jpeg viewer on the H140 but i tried it today and i'm gob smacked again, it actually looks decent for the amount of shades, really handy to have album art with your music, nice to associate a cover with music for your friends.

My top 5? cool features so far in no order

1. Lossless playback with flac and wavpack
2. Replaygain support
3. jpg viewer
4. Rockboy
5. Gapless
6. Boot time is FAST!
7. WPS
8. ah hell could go on all day

Reply #124
Added comments, Replay Gain, and resume/bookmarks for FLAC.
So now mp3 with ID3v2, Vorbis, FLAC, and WavPack all support ReplayGain.  I assume once they get Musepack decoding realtime it will as well.