Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A new way to create and distibute music (Read 20549 times) previous topic - next topic

A new way to create and distibute music

Reply #50
I want to be sure I have this straight, because I think I may be interested in getting this track.  Is it correct to say the "mix for DJs" mentioned on the web site is the "mix with little compression" you described earlier?

Yes
Also, I presume the "headphone" mix has had some sort of crossfeed applied or is some kind of semi-binaural mix?

Not really. I proposed a binaural intro kindly provided by jrbamford but Liam refused  . I will use this idea next time...
Personally, I don't like crossfeed. It's fine if you start from a normal stereo mix. I didn't want to use a special effect applied on the normal stereo mix. Here I mixed it exclusively with headphones and with 3D effects dedicated to headphones. Therefore it's really a different mix create especially for headphones with the headphones as reference (hope you got it).

Also, both the "big mix" and the "headphone mix" are interesting to me (and the 5.1 mix to a lesser extent) - could I get both mix formats of the same version of the song?

It is possible, but you have to buy them at the beginning of the launch. However, I noticed that I preferred a different version for a different mix. It's a question of taste and I'm sure that somebody else will have another taste/choice. That's why personalisation is interesting...

Reply #51
Well, I first met the manager for the presentation of the concept. He liked it. Then I presented the project to the label (Beggars Group/XL Recordings).

Finally, I have worked on this with Liam (the head of the band). We have created and selected the different variation. I made the different mixes. Liam approved it. He is very cool but he knows what he wants.

I hope you will like the result cos we have worked hard on it.

this sounds exceedingly exciting... however, if i understand the website correctly, only 5,000 "copies"? as in, if we don't make it in time, we won't have the chance to hear it ever again? =( well, either way, i'm in, at the very least to preview the music and buy if i like what i hear...

For different reason (also technical), we needed to make it limited for this time, so you better be the first to be serve. You are informed, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Reply #52
So if someone has already created a version that I like, you'll refuse to sell that same version to me?

Nice try but we thought about that. Actually, you have height bells melody, eleven guitars (variation on the distortion) and three beats. If you combine all these possibilities, you have 8x11x3=264 different interpretation. Moreover, four different mixes has been created (standard, headphone, big, 5.1). So we have 264x4=1056 interpretations and mixes. However each interpretation sold is unique. Subtle variations have been added in order to ensure a better choice for the fans while keeping the uniqueness of each interpretation. For example each interpretation (amongst 264) of the classic mix has been created 20 times with subtle variations. Therefore 20 fans will be able to buy one interpretation of the classic mix. For the 5.1, it's 4.
Right now we have downmixed more than 15,000 interpretations/mixes. We will stop the sale at 5,000.

That seems like a bad business decision. Since you have the ambition to replace the traditional distribution methods with yours, how do you propose to scale this up so that you can sell, say, 10 million copies of a song if each one has to be individual?

I guess this seems to me like a self-imposed limitation that is not in the best interest of the fans.

In fact as I said before, there no real limitation, it's just a decision for the launch. We want to start for a limited numbers of persons. As for replace the traditional distribution methods we have the time for it (probably several years).

Reply #53
marcan, have you or someone in Prodigy's management sent out a press release regarding this?  It would be nice to see this get some press so that other bands might do the same thing.

I can't really communicate officially before the end of the event. The record label sent out an announcement thru Prodigy's fan sites.

Reply #54
If this service is expanded, would it be possible to have tracks with vocals?

What do you mean?

Reply #55
For the lossy format.  I personally use LAME 3.96 with --preset fast extreme  (no alt preset any more for you old 3.90.3 users ;-) , It encodes fast and sounds great.  I use Optimus Pro-XB 100 Stereo headphones via a 90's kenwood amp.

You can't go wrong with VBR MP3.  You won't satisfy all the OGG/MPC/AAC,etc lovers but you'll have a bigger market, yet still have great quality for the size like OGG (not as good though of course because OGG pWns mp3 ;-p )

Reply #56
I mean, would you be able to create songs where there is a person singing.
be different like everyone else

Reply #57
I mean, would you be able to create songs where there is a person singing.

Yes sure. I don't know why you asked this question!?

Reply #58
Because with different melodies to choose from and different rhythms, I didn't figure the vocals would be able to flow with the music.  It wasn't a technical limitations question.
be different like everyone else

Reply #59
Because with different melodies to choose from and different rhythms, I didn't figure the vocals would be able to flow with the music.  It wasn't a technical limitations question.

Ok  well it depends on the artistic choice.

Reply #60
3 minutes to go! Everyone ready? 

Edit: The counter started counting upwards 

Reply #61
Ack, having a rough time trying to buy...  All of the versions I try are "sold out", but it takes me about 10 tries to get anything other than "connection failed".
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

Reply #62
Well, I bought a version and what I get when I try to download the track is this:

DB Error: connect failed 

I hope somebody fixes this soon.

Then again maybe the servers just broken down. Any info on this?

Reply #63
I could buy... but then I saw I had to use Paypal, so I thought "to hell with it"...  I hate paypal

Reply #64
After trying to click through about a billion times I finally got to a paypal screen.  I have no idea what version I got because it switched into "random" mode by the time I got though.  I've skipped things in the past because they were paypal only, so I decided to finally bite the bullet and sign up.  Eventually I got though to the screen with the printable jacket and download button (I lack a printer so I wish I could save that to print later, but's not an option).  When I click download it says "Wrong key/status not confirmed !!!".

What's the deal?  I think my card's been charged, but I can't get the track.  I don't recommend anyone attempt to purchase the track until they've worked out the kinks.  They've definately lost my business.

[edit]I've gotten some help for the troubles I had, please see my note later in the thread - the service I've received from trust-media has been very good (though I'm less than satisfied with paypal).[/edit]
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.

Reply #65
Sorry, we had server problems. Actually, the launch was very hot and the demand was too strong.

It's better now.

Phong if you still have problem, send an a-mail to support@trust-media.net.

Cheers

Reply #66
Frankly these sort of launches always deter me because ISP or internet or any other communication medium for that matter are not designed for these sort of peak loads. If they are designed then it is an unnecessary overkill of resources, which is normally very rare, because they cannot stay competitive. Therefore I always shy away from these sort of competitions and I would have been surprised if it had gone smoothly.

Triza

Reply #67
Well, apparently you can't use paypal immediately after signing up, even if you add a credit card and a bank account (I added both, though I think I'll regret it).  You need to wait until you get your statements and then enter some numbers from them, then you can actually start sending and receving money with paypal.  Of course, that will be a month later, so the track will be long since sold out by then.  So, the reason I couldn't get the track is cause the charge for it had never been deducted from my card (though nowhere was this obvious, but I blame that 100% on paypal).

I completely understand the server troubles (though it is frustrating) - that's just something that happens with things like this.  I still think it's an interesting idea and wish I could have purchased the track, but it seems it's not possible.  It's too bad paypal is the only way to pay; not only is it inconvienient, but paypal has a history of being evil.

Reply #68
Well, apparently you can't use paypal immediately after signing up, even if you add a credit card and a bank account (I added both, though I think I'll regret it).  You need to wait until you get your statements and then enter some numbers from them, then you can actually start sending and receving money with paypal.  Of course, that will be a month later, so the track will be long since sold out by then.  So, the reason I couldn't get the track is cause the charge for it had never been deducted from my card (though nowhere was this obvious, but I blame that 100% on paypal).

I completely understand the server troubles (though it is frustrating) - that's just something that happens with things like this.  I still think it's an interesting idea and wish I could have purchased the track, but it seems it's not possible.  It's too bad paypal is the only way to pay; not only is it inconvienient, but paypal has a history of being evil.

Let me tel you I'm pissed about paypal...
You can see here my e-mail to them:
"Todd,

I'm really mad about you.

You told me it takes 20 minutes to set up the account on your side. It is not true. In order to get verified, I need a number written on my visa voucher. It takes much more than 20 minutes...

You told it was possible to have an Account Optional in order to let people buy without a paypal account. It is false. It doesn't work outside the US.

I chose Paypal because you told that it was possible to set up the account in 20 minutes and because it was possible to use Account Optional. I was in a dramatic situation.

Moreover, when I tried to sort it out, you was off for few days, without even let me know and without let me another contact able to manage my case.

Marc-Henri"

I wanted to work here in Europe, unfortunately the price for one item was too small (€3). The acquired banks didn't want to work with this price.
So my last solution was Paypal...

Reply #69
*sighs* connection failed

Reply #70
*sighs* connection failed

It's back again.
The server is heating.

Reply #71
So I chose a track and registered at paypal and got to the download site.
I printed the cover, but I couldn't download because of "Wrong key/status not confirmed !!!". So the deal is I should transfer the money to a paypal account (I didn't buy it via credit card, but via bank account).

But I just checked alwaysoutnumbered.com again which tells me that the version I bought is available again!

So, should I transfer the money the Paypal account which takes 2-3 days and hope that noone buys the same track in that time or is the deal cancelled because I didn't get the right key to download.

This is really confusing and should not have happened.

Reply #72
you connected? i can't buy anything

Reply #73
I just got to this thread now.  At first I was a little wary of the idea.  4 separate mixes sounded interesting, but 10,000+ different interpretations seemed a bit much to me.

I'm pretty open-minded, though, and decided to see how it works.

Once I heard how subtle the differences were, and after thinking about how an individual would like one certain sound/melody over another, I started thinking that this might not be such a bad idea after all.  It seems like an interesting way for people to "personalize" a song.

Because, now that I think of it, I know a couple musician buddies of mine who've complained about how they love a song, but hate the guitar's tone, or something along those lines.  Hell, I know I've been guilty of that, and being a musician AND an audio freak, little things like that will seriously get under your skin.

I don't think that I, personally, would try something like this for my music (never say never, right?), but I'd fully support other bands/artists who wanted to try this.  Marcan, you and Prodigy might be on to something here.
-Tim

Audio/Music Geek Since 1997