Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tell us why have you chosen foobar2000 (Read 177257 times) previous topic - next topic

Tell us why have you chosen foobar2000

Reply #450
Many Reasons but here is a few.
1) On the surface. Simple
2) I can change the layout the way I want.. empowering & thought provoking
3) Script language.
4) Hooks (to put script) everywhere. one can really customize the app

First Apple makes (has someone make for them) Awesome! Hardware!
But like the Pc vs Mac, iphone vs many mfg.. or ios vs android they've missed the boat.. 

People normally, over time, want to have things done the way they want and not limited to what the designer wants

Apple gives a painting.. Foobar is a canvas and paint.

Great App

Reply #451
have been a long time jet auido user and its bbe features..also used good old quintessential player back in mid 2000s and before...around 2 years ago i used foobar2000 a while then turned back to jetaudio and recently switched back to foobar...

first time I explored fb2k was a result of a searching a good discogs tag editor....i was looking for a good tag editor which will be connect to discogs and get tags from there, after a couple of apps i tried i gave a try to foobar and its discogs tagger plugin..and that was what i looking for, works best for me...thanks to its developer bubbleguuum

since i explored fb2k discogs tag editor, even if i use jet audio for listening i always used for foobar for discogs tagging...

recently i use fb2k for both listening and tagging as my general audio player...cuz i just explored foo_dsp and foo_vst, it gives largest suuport for using dsp/vst plugins on windows, 2nd winamp i guess..

i get best sound quality and sound that i desired via fb2k and vsts...that's why i recently switched back to fb2k again...

but still not a big fan of fb2k, there are still some points that i dont like with foobar; like everyone; lack of interface, you have to install columns.dll, wsh panel vs for just getting a good interface, i know there are lots of good custom setups but most of them really dont work for me....biography, lyrics etc lots of useless(for me 95% stuff i listen has no lyrics and if i want to check out an artists info, pictures etc. i prefer visiting artist's discogs page) info on foobar window and generally when i want to customize them if i delete or edit necessary code, foobar crashes.

Reply #452
I initially chose Foobar2000 because it plays 32-bit float WAV's (At an earlier time, this was very rare for audio players).  That was really the only reason at first. 

I kept using Foobar2000 and promoted to others because...

1) It's so customizeable and can be made to look really nice. 
2) It can play so many formats (even rare ones) with component add-on modules. 
3) The component add-on modules are so sophisticated. 
4) It can make huge changes to every file in playlist libraries very quickly. 
5) It's very very stable. 

THANKS VERY MUCH Foobar2000 creators!
opinion is not fact

Reply #453
It just works better than other mp3 player applications I've used so far, since it's lightweight and customizable and the same old reasons why I masturbate to the thoughts of foobar2000 every night.

Reply #454
At the moment, foobar2000 offers unique features through plug-ins that are not available in any other player. Specifically, I'm referring to faithfully reproducing high resolution content like DVD-A, SACD and DTS-HD.

Reply #455
doesn't insist on me uploading my music to the cloud, just so that I can go back to the 90's and stream MY OWN music lol

Used everything from MediaMonkey, Songbird etc. when I decided to boycott ifailtunes

Perfect player

Reply #456
I have a few question that why fb2ks Developers like CAT?
I love DOG

Reply #458
Well.that is to hard to me
Stop your Img and say any word
Im a dog,never red panda
and just joking THX for all

Reply #459
I use foobar2000 because of its simplicity and the possibility of using a large buffer while streaming -- my internet connection is slow but so nevertheless I can browse in the web and listen to internet radio without interruptions. Colorful visualisations would be nice.

Reply #460
I am among that small percentage of audiophiles that have an extensive classical library. Virtually all prayers are locked into an Artist>Album>Song paradigm. That is great for pop, jazz, etc, but absolutely worthless for classical. I need Composer>Work>Movement, and that is darn near impossible to find. Even the Foobar DUI can't do it right. (No, Facets is not the answer). But CUI works like a champ. With the addition of a few custom tags, I can continue Conductor>Artist>Orchestra. Using the Graphic Equalizer instead of the default EQ, I couldn't be happier.

Bob

Reply #461
Even the Foobar DUI can't do it right.
Does your definition of "do it right" involve skinning? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean. I use extensive non-standard metadata involving STYLE, GENRE, REMIX ARTIST, REMIX TITLE, the CATALOG NUMBER and PUBLISHER combination for labels. I can do all of that custom metadata stuff in DUI. What can't you do?

Reply #462
I chose it because the devs know what they are doing unlike others and the SDK was designed with some element of sense, unlike others....>_>

Reply #463
Even the Foobar DUI can't do it right.
Does your definition of "do it right" involve skinning? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean. I use extensive non-standard metadata involving STYLE, GENRE, REMIX ARTIST, REMIX TITLE, the CATALOG NUMBER and PUBLISHER combination for labels. I can do all of that custom metadata stuff in DUI. What can't you do?

I can't list columns in different order for different playlist -- Classical, Pop, Demo, etc. Have I missed something?

Bob

Reply #464
I like many others started with bundled players that cater to folks who don't "look under the hood", but just "drive", like:

1) WMP - a joke... for anyone that cares about their music, it's too sophisticated in areas that don't matter, and too simplistic in areas that do matter.  And it messes with your beloved tags behind your back.    NO WAY

2) iTunes - where to start here..."we here at Apple force you to do everything via iTunes, and the iTunes database is the lifeblood of all your music, videos, apps, books... and it's up to you to treat it with kid gloves and back it up yourself, because if you screw up the iTunes database, you're screwed... and by the way we aren't going to fix any of our blatant code bugs like allowing you to add duplicate database entries, and we won't give you a way to really clean up the duplicates created by our defective code, or reinitialize the database without losing other critical info, and we won't recognize custom tags, and and, oh, now we're going to hyperlink you to a page full of media we think is "cool" and you won't be cool unless you buy it from us and then pay us again to store it on iCloud, blah, blah, blah, buy, buy, buy....  I can't tell you how many hours of my life Apple has stolen from me with iTunes' confusing and totalitarian device sync nightmares, disappearing entries, duplicating database entry bugs, and lack of any useful improvements.  Sexy, buggy software.    NO THANKS

I then moved on to "3rd party" players:

3) Winamp - This was very nice - at first.  Then it got bigger and bigger and bloated and bloated, trying to be everything to everybody and lost its focus - it's a freakin music player!!!  yes I tried Winamp Lite, but can't use the media library in the Lite version.    GOODBYE LLAMA

4) fb2k - I admit I tried it once, and was overwhelmed by its lack of structured, workflow documentation and formidable setup, and gave it up and went back to Winamp.    But Winamp just kept getting fatter, repulsive, and slower, till I went back and tried fb2k again, and... when I finally started to "get it", every new discovery about what this amazing player could do was like finding another pearl.  Once you transcend the learning curve, it's head and shoulders above all the others.  Its sophistication, accuracy, speed, flexibility, and small "footprint" make it the greatest contribution to digital music management since the mp3.  Peter has got the perfect formula in fb2k.  Thank you Peter, musicmusic, and all the other fb2k developers!  Your work is dynamite!!!   

a) Accurate, rich tagging support for any customized tags
      b) UI can be made as sophisticated as you want in any specific area, e.g., playback, filtering, display info, searching, artwork, lyrics... it's up to you, so the developers don't have to keep trying to change it to "find the market" - it's already solid, and evolves on its own
      c) It can handle a very large music library without badly bogging down or crashing
      d) awesome iPod support (please, please, figure out IOS 5.0, iTunes is worse than ever!)
      e) simple where it needs to be, and sophisticated where it matters
      f)  many diagnostic tools either built in or available as add-ons. 
      g) all the other pearls I haven't discovered yet

If I was to complain about fb2k the only thing I would suggest is a comprehensive how-to manual that starts explaining the simple conceptual beginnings, and ends in the complex applications, similar to a textbook.  The docs that are available really jump around in subject matter and are lacking in enough real-world examples.  But hey, it's free, and I get that.. and if the lack of an easy to understand manual serves as a way to filter out the complainers and sissies and leave only "the few, the proud", then I understand that too.  Vive fb2k!

Reply #465
I don't quite know where I should post this, but in terms of the versatility of foobar, it's pretty great. The only thing think they may want to expand alittle into is further customization in the graphics department. Such as having the ability to have a "blanket background picture", thats slightly glossed over or something. Even maybe having a transparency setting so you can see your desktop wallpaper etc. Just an idea I had popping around and thought maybe someone will make use of it.

Reply #466
Even maybe having a transparency setting so you can see your desktop wallpaper etc.

File>Preference>Advance>Display>Default user interface>Main window transparency

Reply #467
Even maybe having a transparency setting so you can see your desktop wallpaper etc.

File>Preference>Advance>Display>Default user interface>Main window transparency

I actually had a sneaking suspicion that Foobar would already have something like this. Although it's not one hundred percent as, it's just the background colour that would be transparent etc. The text, and grey bars running along the sides'll be the same. Although to try and make it appear less overall transparent, I've set the background to a black so you can still see the desktop, without being to put off with the transparent little gray bars on the side.  Thanks for helping lead to a solution for now.

Reply #468
I primarily use it due its flexibility. Where else can I create custom tags (or even use non-custom tags) and have them display exactly how I want, using any style I want? Only foobar gives me this kind of customisation.

I've tried out all sorts of media players over the years -- Winamp, WMP, MusicMatch, Songbird, even the ghastly SonicStage once upon a time (although never iTunes) -- and they all ultimately fail in comparison to foobar.

Reply #469
Customisation.

I'm not thinking about the visual and stylish part, but the navigational part.

The way I can build it exactly how I want it.

The way I can remove the things I don't want, and then add the things I want.

Customisation.

Reply #470
I needed to Replay Gain my music collection for Rockbox, foobar was recommended. It's also one of the few apps that can RG, used it solely for that. I then decided to use it as my default music player, after weeks of tweaking, poking and prodding (which I detest) I now have a UI that I like.

The ability to export f2k settings is great, allows a painless restoration of most of the customisation.
More stars in the universe than grains of beach sand

Reply #471
Simple, lightweight, fast, stable, lots of DSPs available, customizable interface. 
Vitor Machado

Reply #472
It does the important things perfectly, the useful things well, and the unnecessary things not at all.

Reply #474
I used QMP before foobar. I changed to foobar when I decided to rip my 400 CDs collection. And foobar is FAST.

Also:
I detest progs that "know" what you want and try to force it whether you like it or not.
I like to procastinate spend my time tweaking the interface.
I have autoplaylists for missing lyrics, web traces in lyrics, ReplayGain missing, date missing and other compulsive-obsessive tag issues.

I have found some interesting features in other players (possible duplicate detection, Guayadeque's smart play mode), but F2K keeps being the best.