Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Request for Recommendations (Read 2424 times) previous topic - next topic

Request for Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I want to encode voice Wave files to mp3 format.  The bitrate needs to be 48 kbps or even 32.  What should I be using, mp3Pro?  I've been using --alt-preset cbr 48 but that's not working very well (I'm laughing, too). 

If so, what version, settings, etc.? 

Thanks in advance.

Reply #1
Depending on where you will be listening to it, you may benefit from Speex instead of MP3. It's been designed from the ground up for that kind of encoding.

Reply #2
Sounds good, but the files must be able to play on mp3 players.

Reply #3
Very few hardware players support Mp3Pro at the moment, so if you desire compatibility, you will need to stick with plain "vanilla" MP3. For very-low bitrates, I would use a FhG encoder over LAME, as FhG does a slightly better job (but this is a matter of opinion). With FastEnc or similar, I would try something like -br 32000 -ds 16000 -dm -hq for mono files (you may not need the -dm option of your wav files are truly single channel).

Reply #4
I want to encode voice Wave files to mp3 format.  The bitrate needs to be 48 kbps or even 32.

I've got some at  sampling = 22 khz, mono, bitrate = 16kb/s cbr that sound ok., certainly not hifi, but not TOO tinny. 

I don't know if it's lame or the GUI, but I can't get it to do VBR at low rates.