Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Columns UI (Read 4607216 times) previous topic - next topic

Columns UI

Reply #2350
Well, as I understand, it should run on Win2000. Do you have Windows Installer 3.1 installed? Worst come to worst I can static link it.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, that helped. It works fine now. Thx.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345570"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Good, because it was just a guess

Due to [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=38870]changes in the visualisation API[/url], the update rate of the spectrum analyser panel is rather low now.

Any chance of making it configurable?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345576"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It is currently set to once every 50ms (= 20fps). I can increase it a little to maybe 30fps. But if that is all you want then I don't think that's a reason to make it configrable.

Also, could anyone that managed to download the original release please upgrade to v2 if you didnt already.

Columns UI

Reply #2351
Due to changes in the visualisation API, the update rate of the spectrum analyser panel is rather low now.

It is currently set to once every 50ms (= 20fps). I can increase it a little to maybe 30fps. But if that is all you want then I don't think that's a reason to make it configrable.

I don't know what other people were using, but I'm used to at least 60 fps, I've had it set to the highest rate (120 fps) in the past.

At the moment it looks really stuttering to me.

Columns UI

Reply #2352
I think there is a bug in buttons customisation.

For a button, I choose 'Image: Custom', I indicate the path and I close. The image is loaded, but if I close foobar, when I restart foo the image is not loaded.

Thanks for the update  and excuse me for my english.

Columns UI

Reply #2353
I don't know what other people were using, but I'm used to at least 60 fps, I've had it set to the highest rate (120 fps) in the past.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345590"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can the refresh-rate of your monitor even keep up with that? ;-)

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Columns UI

Reply #2354
Musicmusic: any idea when you'll be releasing an updated version of albumlist panel?

Columns UI

Reply #2355
Can the refresh-rate of your monitor even keep up with that? ;-)

Maybe 85 fps would be enough, too. I'd love to perform ABX tests if there was an appropriate tool.
Still, 20, 30 and even 60 fps don't really look smooth, especially with larger sizes (I currently use 375*230px).

Columns UI

Reply #2356
Due to changes in the visualisation API, the update rate of the spectrum analyser panel is rather low now.

I don't know what other people were using, but I'm used to at least 60 fps, I've had it set to the highest rate (120 fps) in the past.

At the moment it looks really stuttering to me.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345590"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I increased it to 40 fps in v3. What do you mean by "stuttering"? Just slow frame-rate, or something else? I think it needs scaling down a bit vertically, too much seems to get clipped. Also before anyone reports it, I've noticed the phantom updating of the vis when paused

I think there is a bug in buttons customisation.

For a button, I choose 'Image: Custom', I indicate the path and I close. The image is loaded, but if I close foobar, when I restart foo the image is not loaded.

Thanks for the update   and excuse me for my english.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345592"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the report, should be fixed in v3.

Musicmusic: any idea when you'll be releasing an updated version of albumlist panel?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345601"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No idea, sorry.

Columns UI

Reply #2357
Thanks for your work.

I increased it to 40 fps in v3.
Better, but still not what I had before. Would an option hurt anyone? 
What do you mean by "stuttering"? Just slow frame-rate, or something else?
"Just" slow frame-rate.

Columns UI

Reply #2358
I've got a question regarding color-styles..... maybe i'm just blind to see the obvious solution, dunno....

I'm trying to update my FCS to use the new $set_style format instead of the older syntax.

i define a colorscheme in the global-vars - in the format $rgb(1,1,1,2,2,2)... where 1 coresponds to "unselected" and 2 to "selected". This is needed so that in a columns-string, i can just call the color from the stored global-vars, and have both - the unselected and selected forground-color set.

Okay, all well and nice - the trouble starts when $set_style comes into play. It expects the color to be entered in the format $set_style(text,$rgb(1,1,1),$rgb(2,2,2)) - so, it will not allow the format $set_style(text,$rgb(1,1,1,2,2,2))

I dont want to create 3 vars instead of one var in the globals just so that $set_style gets its way. Is there any other way?

- Lyx

Columns UI

Reply #2359
there isn't a foo_uie_albumlist currently available, that is running with the newest beta, is it?

Columns UI

Reply #2360
I worked around the $set_style problem by using $substr() for the selected-color.

Overally, i'm slightly disappointed by the new $set_style system. I expected alot of code-simplyfication, because i asumed that with the function-syntax, i could define a general scheme in the global-styles, and then in the column-styles only specify the elements which differ from the general-scheme. Especially with the frame-enabled states, this would have been useful, because i since all my frames use the same color, i could define the frame-colors in the global-style, and then in the columns simply switch them on/off via the enabled-states.

However, since choosing "use custom color spec" disables all definitions made in the global-styles, all of the above isn't possible, so the only advantage of $set_style - from a FCS-author's POV - is more readable code, and thats it. Thus, i am now not using any global-style at all and instead dupe code all across the column-styles.

- Lyx

Columns UI

Reply #2361
Overally, i'm slightly disappointed by the new $set_style system. I expected alot of code-simplyfication, because i asumed that with the function-syntax, i could define a general scheme in the global-styles, and then in the column-styles only specify the elements which differ from the general-scheme. Especially with the frame-enabled states, this would have been useful, because i since all my frames use the same color, i could define the frame-colors in the global-style, and then in the columns simply switch them on/off via the enabled-states.

However, since choosing "use custom color spec" disables all definitions made in the global-styles, all of the above isn't possible, so the only advantage of $set_style - from a FCS-author's POV - is more readable code, and thats it. Thus, i am now not using any global-style at all and instead dupe code all across the column-styles.

- Lyx[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345729"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I feel the same way, and IIRC, I commented on it in May or something. It just doesn't do as much as I would have hoped for, when it comes to reducing redundancy. Some clever solution to solve this issue would be welcome.

diary:
I haven't followed the beta development since May or June, so I not up to date with the latest achievements. I moved to a new apartment where I just recently got back online, but now I'm about to move again because of work... Anyway, I'm looking forward to the final foobar v0.9, and hopefully seeing most of the 3rd party components i find useful ported.

Columns UI

Reply #2362
I increased it to 40 fps in v3.
Better, but still not what I had before. Would an option hurt anyone? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345633"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No it wouldn't, no. But I'd rather first ascertain what differences you can see from the old vis to the new one, before deciding an FPS option is going to fix it. AFAIK the frame rate with the old vis would always be lower than what is set due to lagged chunks being ignored, so I am sceptical that you would have actually seen anything near the 120fps you set.

I worked around the $set_style problem by using $substr() for the selected-color.

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345729"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The main motivation behind it was to do away with the old long and complicated syntax, and for future expandibility.

In regards to the definitions from the track style script being cleared with a cell script, this has been brought up before. I think this can be changed cleanly and makes sense, so I think I will

To be honest if this was done I could do anyway the the column-style string and merge it into the display string. But support for older configurations would prevent me from doing that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Columns UI

Reply #2363
I'd rather first ascertain what differences you can see from the old vis to the new one, before deciding an FPS option is going to fix it. AFAIK the frame rate with the old vis would always be lower than what is set due to lagged chunks being ignored, so I am sceptical that you would have actually seen anything near the 120fps you set.

It has nothing to do with the new version, there is no degradation except for the framerate (and the clipping issue you already noted). I was also able to see differences compared to 40 or 60 fps with the old one. I'm not sure whether I've actually seen 120 fps or a lower rate and probably 75 or 85 fps would have been enough, too, but still, I can clearly say that 40 or 60 fps are not sufficient for my eyes. I don't know what I can do or say to assure you that you wouldn't be adding a placebo setting. The situation is a bit difficult, I'd perform an ABX test if that was possible.

Maybe there are others who experience the same and can add some more significance to what I say.

Columns UI

Reply #2364
To be honest if this was done I could do anyway the the column-style string and merge it into the display string. But support for older configurations would prevent me from doing that.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345749"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, some existing FCSs may rely on the current behaviour. Supporting both would mean addition another option....... or maybe not:

Question: Is there an important technical reason, that there are checkboxes for enabling custum column-specific styles and custom sorting? I mean, couldn't those checkboxes just be removed and well.... if there is a custom sorting-string, then it gets used, else not - and if there is a custom column-style string, then it gets used, else not?

Because if there is no important reason for it, then why not remove the custom-sorting checkbox..... and replace the style-checkbox with "ignore global-styles for this column".

That way, the number of options would not increase, yet there would be support for the old handling of styles as well as the new behaviour. Since the checkbox would enable the old behaviour, current FCSs would continue to work as expected.

- Lyx

Columns UI

Reply #2365
Okay, i give up - how do i get the MSVC8 runtime stuff on my PC, if the installer does not work on my system?

- Lyx
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same thing here, it gives error 1723. "A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run." Ironic, huh?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345564"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, as I understand, it should run on Win2000. Do you have [a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en]Windows Installer 3.1 installed[/url]? Worst come to worst I can static link it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345565"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oddly enough, I had to install that even though I have .net 2.0 and VS2005 Express installed.

Columns UI

Reply #2366
Oddly enough, I had to install that even though I have .net 2.0 and VS2005 Express installed.

note that Express beta is not enough  , if that can help...

Columns UI

Reply #2367
I have a problem here when i load Columns UI the new buttons that come with beta 12
are gone.
The old ones that were on 0.8.3 apear i want to use the new buttons they'r much better than the old ones

Columns UI

Reply #2368
I have a problem here when i load Columns UI the new Buttons disapear and the old ones apear

Not a bug, Columns UI has its own custom buttons.

Columns UI

Reply #2369
Hi musicmusic:
Sorry if this has been requested before, but in the albumlist panel, I'd love to be able to define a custom sort string for each individual view. I use two instances of the albumlist panel at once (one for albums and one for my favorite singles) and would really like to use a difference sort string for each one.

Thanks for the great work!

Columns UI

Reply #2370
Question: Is there an important technical reason, that there are checkboxes for enabling custum column-specific styles and custom sorting? I mean, couldn't those checkboxes just be removed and well.... if there is a custom sorting-string, then it gets used, else not - and if there is a custom column-style string, then it gets used, else not?[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Indeed that is possible. But it is also nice to be able to disable them without losing your string.

Because if there is no important reason for it, then why not remove the custom-sorting checkbox..... and replace the style-checkbox with "ignore global-styles for this column".

That way, the number of options would not increase, yet there would be support for the old handling of styles as well as the new behaviour. Since the checkbox would enable the old behaviour, current FCSs would continue to work as expected.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345768"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
More simpler would just be to expand the current 'Enable legacy support to globals' to control this as well.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345769"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Probably they did not install Windows Installer 3.0 or newer required for the CRT redistributable. If you have the final version of VC2005 (express) then of course you already the necessary runtime installed.

I have a problem here when i load Columns UI the new buttons that come with beta 12
are gone.
The old ones that were on 0.8.3 apear i want to use the new buttons they'r much better than the old ones
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346025"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
They quite reminded me of the buttons in an old version of foo_tunes

In any case understand that these are two separate UIs. The default buttons could probably be improved, but I see no reason to change them to ones like in the b12 standard ui - the current ones use the system button face colour setting and I think that is better than black and white buttons (does windows explorer use black and white buttons ?).

It is personal preference really what you prefer (and probably your theme/appearance settings can influence that). A poll would be the best way to get a general consensus of which buttons are prefered. In any case, the default buttons are more important for "out-of-the-box" usability, as you can extract the buttons from the standard ui, convert them from the icon format to 32-bit bitmaps or PNGs and load them into Columns UI if you wish to do so. See [a href="http://music.morbo.org/wiki/columns_ui:config:buttons]this page[/url] on the wiki for some hints on customising the buttons in 0.1.3.

Hi musicmusic:
Sorry if this has been requested before, but in the albumlist panel, I'd love to be able to define a custom sort string for each individual view. I use two instances of the albumlist panel at once (one for albums and one for my favorite singles) and would really like to use a difference sort string for each one.

Thanks for the great work!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346170"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The current version of the standard albumlist doesn't have a sort string option does it? I'm not too sure on the future of the custom sort string in that case. In any case albumlist feature requests should be made for the standalone version first, unless of course its something specific to the panel version

Columns UI

Reply #2371
does windows explorer use black and white buttons ?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347961"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, Explorer uses colored icons here. But then these are made by real graphics artists paid by Microsoft and not by a casual icons designer who spent more time on finding a half-decent free icon editor than on creating the icons themselves.

Columns UI

Reply #2372
does windows explorer use black and white buttons ?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347961"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, Explorer uses colored icons here. But then these are made by real graphics artists paid by Microsoft and not by a casual icons designer who spent more time on finding a half-decent free icon editor than on creating the icons themselves.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347978"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hehe  Actually, I didn't mean it as a criticism -  I do actually quite like the icons themselves

Columns UI

Reply #2373
How come the developer of this plugin decided to use .Net 2.0 for the beta version of this plugin?

I'm not saying its a bad thing or anything like that.  Just curious!

Columns UI

Reply #2374
How come the developer of this plugin decided to use .Net 2.0 for the beta version of this plugin?

I'm not saying its a bad thing or anything like that.  Just curious!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It does not use .NET.

If you rather meant why it requires the run-time it is because I am not using the statically linked CRT (it didn't previously either). Using the statically linked CRT will increase the size of the component file e.g. columns will rise to just over 0.5 MB. Over several components and releases of the components this can build up. The other advantage of the dynamically linked CRT is if (or when) there is an update to the CRT, security or otherwise, updating is possible and easily managed, and won't depend on me recompiling my components either. And I do think there will be an update to the CRT, see e.g. [a href="http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=129031&SiteID=1]this bug[/url].

Now the CRT installer redistributable is a bit of a bitch in its size (2.5 MB) and MSI 3.0 requirement, you can read more here if you are still feeling curious.