Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Not being able to play and convert Wave64 (.WAV) files (Read 3580 times) previous topic - next topic

Not being able to play and convert Wave64 (.WAV) files

Hello all,
I opened this thread and installed foobar2000, the adpcm plugin and finally the free encoder pack, but I always incur in the problem of the title of the thread.
Also I have seen this other thread and I am even more disoriented. The program shows a dialog box saying "Unsupported file format". Help!
My PM box is full. Send me an email instead.

Re: Not being able to play and convert Wave64 (.WAV) files

Reply #1
Shpuldn't Wave64 have different extension than simply WAV? Like W64 or something (bwf if I recall correctly)?

Reply #2
It has .WAV extension, but Windows Media Player and MPC-BE (which both can play the file) recognize it as WAV/Wave64.

Reply #3
So your file is probably not Wave64.

Reply #4
So what is this weird file? What can I do?

foobar2k says:
Code: [Select]
Duration : 0:04.395 (210 944 samples)
Sample rate : 48000 Hz
Channels : 2
Bits per sample : 4
Bitrate : 384 kbps
Codec : IMA ADPCM
Encoding : lossy
<DECODED_BITSPERSAMPLE> : 16

Reply #5
Try this: remove adpcm plugin that you installed, restart foobar and try to play it again.

Reply #6
Try this: remove adpcm plugin that you installed, restart foobar and try to play it again.

"Unsupported format"

Afterwards I also tried to convert it to WAV (PCM as suggested in the above mentioned thread), with the same result. :\

(I tried with foobar2k itself… could someone indicate me how to make it command line with ffmpeg?)

Reply #8
Unfortunately there is a reported bug with 48 kHz IMA ADPCM support. Until that is fixed you can use ffmpeg to convert your files.

You can find compiled ffmpeg build for Windows here. It's a command line program so you need to open Command Prompt to use it. Extract the zip somewhere, find the bin dir in the extracted location, make sure no file is highlighted while you hold down Shift key and right click on empty location in the Explorer window. Depending on your Windows version you should see "Open command window here" or "Open PowerShell window here". Select the option you see.

In the command window type: ffmpeg -i <path to your file.wav> <name of new file.extension>.

In the thread you linked they convert the file to a regular PCM WAV that works everywhere. If you wish to do that your line could look something like ffmpeg -i c:\users\andy-drew\desktop\recording.wav "c:\users\andy-drew\desktop\uncompressed file.wav".

You can also directly encode to several formats such as MP3. If you just replace the .wav extension in the output name with .mp3, you get a 128 kbps LAME encoded MP3 file.

Reply #10
One can use the ffmpeg component but not with the extension you propose. Input component load order is randomized and when standard input gets loaded first, it will handle all *.wav files.

Reply #11
Right, so the solution is to use .imaadpcm and register fb2k to take over that file extension?

Reply #12
Thank you so much to all, now I'll use that extension of foobar2k, the command line batch creation was driving me crazy :D

Reply #13
Right, so the solution is to use .imaadpcm and register fb2k to take over that file extension?

Excuse me @Porcus, just one last question, how can I do what you are saying ("register fb2k to take over that file extension?")?

Reply #14
OK, I've done it. ;)

Reply #15
The new beta version fixed the 48 kHz IMA ADPCM playback issue. Could you verify that your files also work without resorting to the ffmpeg component?

Reply #16
Does this beta version simply overwrite the existing foobar or should I install it in a separate folder?

Reply #17
Thanks! Now it works. :)

Reply #19
Just an info: when will be released as stable? Since in the middle of playing an IMA ADPCM file (one of recently recorded university lessons) it stops playing with the now usual error of "Unsupported file"…

Reply #20
If you have a file that it fails to play, please make it available to me and I'll investigate.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #21
I've sent you a PM about this file, Peter.

Reply #22
Upload info should be in your mailbox.

I'm going to post 1.3.17 stable soon and I'd like to have a look at this file before I do that.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #23
Now everything works well. :) Just one question (that may be useful, especially in a forum like this): my files, when converted from IMA ADPCM to M4A — using the converter built in iTunes which foobar2k takes advantage of — are shrunk of about 30 seconds (these university recordings are about 2 hours long). Why? Is that an acoustic phenomenon?

Reply #24
Is the file perhaps malformed and reports a wrong length? If you don't have any DSPs enabled the encoded file should have the exact same length as the source. You could check what File Integrity Verifier reports about your WAV.