Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 517172 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #525
There's no need to use any registry file if you install WMP Tag Plus - the installer already adds the registry entries required for WMP to recognize the new music formats. Also no need to worry about bitness then, because both the installer and WMP/WMP Tag Plus will be 32-bit.
Ah, the one I installed must have been an older version without this, as my FLAC files definitely started out in other

Reply #526
reposting in Tag Plus thread:

I am attempting to play ALAC files in wmp 12 in Windows 8.1 preview. I installed 32 bit and 64 bit Shark007 Advanced Codecs, then installed Tag Plus plugin. Here's my experience:

- at the start, I run the tag plus updater/refresher - it identifies the .m4a lossless files (versus the lossy versions)
- lossy files show up as normal under Music in wmp
- lossless .m4a files show up in Other
- clicking on the other files, I am able to play the .m4a lossless files in Other
- of course, what I want is .m4a lossless files showing up under Music.
- just when I think that is the only problem - "other" .m4a's stop working, and upon checking the plugin, Tag Plus has disappeared from Background within plugins tab on wmp.
- I have uninstalled/reinstalled Tag Plus and process repeats itself as above.

On a side note, before any of this, my first test was I tried streaming .m4a music from a server. .m4a's showed up under Music in this Server library, but then stopped working as above. Thinking streaming was possibly an unsupported area, I instead created a normal
Music library made up of .m4a (lossy and lossless) files. Which leads to the above issues.

Any suggestions as to why this is not working?

Thanks,

Reply #527
So even after completely going through 'Refresh song tags', the lossless .m4a files are still in Other media? Is the checkbox on the Apple Lossless tab of WMP Tag Plus settings checked?

Did you perhaps install TaglibHandler or another property handler that overrides Windows 8's native property handler for MPEG-4?

If WMP Tag Plus isn't listed as a background plug-in anymore, then you're most likely running the 64-bit version of WMP (which WMP Tag Plus doesn't support). To check if this is the case, open Task Manager, go to Details, show the Platform column and check the platform of the wmplayer.exe process.

Reply #528
So even after completely going through 'Refresh song tags', the lossless .m4a files are still in Other media? Is the checkbox on the Apple Lossless tab of WMP Tag Plus settings checked?

Did you perhaps install TaglibHandler or another property handler that overrides Windows 8's native property handler for MPEG-4?

If WMP Tag Plus isn't listed as a background plug-in anymore, then you're most likely running the 64-bit version of WMP (which WMP Tag Plus doesn't support). To check if this is the case, open Task Manager, go to Details, show the Platform column and check the platform of the wmplayer.exe process.

Tim, thanks for the reply.

Yes, files are still in Other Media, and I do have the box checked under the Apple Lossless tab.    I wouldn't know TaglibHandler, but I have not installed any other media/codec software besides Shark007 and Tag Plus.  Unless it comes bundled with Shark007 (I checked the programs Shark007 installs - didn't see anything like TaglibHandler)?

On to the bit version.  Based on the "open folder location" / target location in task manager, which shows I am running wmplayer from Program Files - versus the "Program Files (x86)" folder - it would seem I am running the 64 bit version.  I see no direct indication of 32 or 64 in task manager so assuming this is what you meant.  So does this mean there is no solution?  There are some notes on the Shark007 which indicate that when you run Media Center, it invokes the 64 bit version of wmp. I have Media Center installed so this might be what is happening.  My ultimate goal is to allow Media Center to play ALAC files.
Given the discussion about 64 bit version of wmp/Media Center, on Shark007 site, it certainly implies that I should be able to see in library/play ALAC on a 64 bit system. 

One final comment.  I noticed that Windows 8.1, at least the Preview version, breaks a lot of things - some related to Media Center.  Have you had any other feedback/experience on the 8.1 version?

Any other suggestions or thoughts?  It is so frustrating that there isn't better alignment between the Apple and Microsoft products.

rknox

Reply #529

Tim, thanks for the reply.

Yes, files are still in Other Media, and I do have the box checked under the Apple Lossless tab.    I wouldn't know TaglibHandler, but I have not installed any other media/codec software besides Shark007 and Tag Plus.  Unless it comes bundled with Shark007 (I checked the programs Shark007 installs - didn't see anything like TaglibHandler)?

On to the bit version.  Based on the "open folder location" / target location in task manager, which shows I am running wmplayer from Program Files - versus the "Program Files (x86)" folder - it would seem I am running the 64 bit version.  I see no direct indication of 32 or 64 in task manager so assuming this is what you meant.  So does this mean there is no solution?  There are some notes on the Shark007 which indicate that when you run Media Center, it invokes the 64 bit version of wmp. I have Media Center installed so this might be what is happening.  My ultimate goal is to allow Media Center to play ALAC files.
Given the discussion about 64 bit version of wmp/Media Center, on Shark007 site, it certainly implies that I should be able to see in library/play ALAC on a 64 bit system. 

One final comment.  I noticed that Windows 8.1, at least the Preview version, breaks a lot of things - some related to Media Center.  Have you had any other feedback/experience on the 8.1 version?

Any other suggestions or thoughts?  It is so frustrating that there isn't better alignment between the Apple and Microsoft products.

rknox

Quick Update:  I discovered the Shark007 64 bit codec setup has an option to use/force the 32 bit version of wmp.    With that set, and after reinstalling everything, I could verify that in fact I was now running the 32 bit wmp.    However, after rebuilding my library and letting tag plus do its thing, I still have the same results:  that is, tag plus identifies the lossless files, suggests that it includes them in my library, but when all is done, the lossless files remain in other library.  Further, as soon as I close wmp and restart, it seems to default to the 64 bit version of the player.  Maybe an issue with shark007 as well.  I thought the ALAC problem was solved - which is why I thought I'd give it a try ...

Reply #530
I'd still like to check if something has overridden the native MPEG-4 property handler. For that, please open the Start Screen, type regedit and press Enter. In Registry Editor, navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.m4a

Then double-click the (Default) entry and copy/paste its contents into your reply here.

Also, if you uninstall Shark007, reboot, and then try 'Refresh song tags' again, do the ALAC files still stay in Other media?

Regarding the 64-bit WMP, how exactly are you launching WMP? You may need to edit the shortcut that you're using so that it points to Program Files (x86) (which is 32-bit) instead of just Program Files (64-bit).

I neither have any personal experience with Windows 8.1 or have received feedback from others that I can recall.

Reply #531
I'd still like to check if something has overridden the native MPEG-4 property handler. For that, please open the Start Screen, type regedit and press Enter. In Registry Editor, navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.m4a

Then double-click the (Default) entry and copy/paste its contents into your reply here.

Also, if you uninstall Shark007, reboot, and then try 'Refresh song tags' again, do the ALAC files still stay in Other media?

Regarding the 64-bit WMP, how exactly are you launching WMP? You may need to edit the shortcut that you're using so that it points to Program Files (x86) (which is 32-bit) instead of just Program Files (64-bit).

I neither have any personal experience with Windows 8.1 or have received feedback from others that I can recall.

Here is the contents per your request:  {f81b1b56-7613-4ee4-bc05-1fab5de5c07e}

I am launching wmp from the taskbar on the desktop in 8.1.  When it reverted to the 64 bit version, I tried launching from the Program Files (x86) directory, but I didn't see my libraries or the plugin.  I am running the preview version of 8.1.  The rtm version hit the streets yesterday so I will likely update and try again.  That said, in reviewing the forums on Shark007, I think there is some question as to whether ALAC is possible in Windows 8.  See this Post:
http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-m4a-alac-...?highlight=alac

rknox

Reply #532

I also tried uninstalling Shark007 per above.  I rebooted and ran the 32 bit version successfully from Program Files (x86).  Performed the refresh, but ALAC files remain in Other.

One other note:  Another program gets installed:  "Windows Media Player 64-bit Plug-In Fix"  in Programs and Features.  I am guessing that is a Shark007 plug-in?  Not sure what it is for but shows up - wasn't sure if it came from Shark007 or Tag Plus.

rknox

Reply #533
Here is the contents per your request:  {f81b1b56-7613-4ee4-bc05-1fab5de5c07e}

Thanks for reporting back. This means that the native MPEG-4 property handler is still active and no third-party property handler is used. Hence the cause for the ALAC issue must lie somewhere else.

That said, in reviewing the forums on Shark007, I think there is some question as to whether ALAC is possible in Windows 8.  See this Post:

There's no problem with ALAC files on my Windows 8 system: with WMP Tag Plus they get added to the Music section and playback works fine too using the DC-Bass filter (as suggested in WMP Tag Plus settings). This is still Windows 8.0 though. I'll install 8.1 this weekend and will check there as well.

One other note:  Another program gets installed:  "Windows Media Player 64-bit Plug-In Fix"  in Programs and Features.  I am guessing that is a Shark007 plug-in?  Not sure what it is for but shows up - wasn't sure if it came from Shark007 or Tag Plus.

This gets installed by WMP Tag Plus. There's a bug in WMP in that there's no separation of plug-in 'enabled states' between the 32-bit and 64-bit version. This meant that each time the 64-bit WMP was launched, you had to manually re-enable WMP Tag Plus afterwards in the 32-bit version. This additional package fixes that issue.

Reply #534
That said, in reviewing the forums on Shark007, I think there is some question as to whether ALAC is possible in Windows 8.  See this Post:

I have just tried the WMP Tag Plus ALAC support in the release preview of Windows 8.1 and no issues there either.

Would it be possible to upload one of the affected ALAC files and PM me the download link, so I can take a look myself? You can use Dropbox or a file sharing website like Skydrive/Rapidshare. Thanks!

Reply #535
I´m still unable to get the FLAC files working in Music pane/library. I have now installed W8.1 and theres no change in my case. I´ve uninstalled and reinstalled both xiph and your Tag plus. I´m at my whits end here. What can I do now. Yes I´ve tried to rename a FLAC file, doesn´t work.

Best regards Jalle64

Reply #536
Just to be sure: 'Refresh song tags' still doesn't detect the FLAC files, right?

Are the FLAC files located in your personal Music folder? And is this folder listed as a library location in Organize - Manage libraries - Music?

I also suggest that you try resetting the media library. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
- Press Win+R, type services.msc in the Run dialog, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
- Press Win+R, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Run dialog, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
- In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
- Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the FLAC files get added now.

Reply #537
Just to be sure: 'Refresh song tags' still doesn't detect the FLAC files, right?

Are the FLAC files located in your personal Music folder? And is this folder listed as a library location in Organize - Manage libraries - Music?

I also suggest that you try resetting the media library. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
- Press Win+R, type services.msc in the Run dialog, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
- Press Win+R, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Run dialog, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
- In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
- Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the FLAC files get added now.
Yes it doesn´t detect FLAC-files when I try this. Well and my Service Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service was off. So should I try to turn it on instead? After doing the steps its still the same no detecting/adding.

I have my musik in many folders on a separate HDD.

When I first installed Windows 8 it all worked like a charm, but then i had some problems and did a sytem restore from the windows media I have, and since then this problem riddles me. I had hoped for W8.1 to sort this thing out but it didn´t.

Thanks alot for trying to help.

Best Regards Jalle64

Reply #538
Yes it doesn´t detect FLAC-files when I try this. Well and my Service Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service was off. So should I try to turn it on instead?

Yes, please try turning the service back on.

And are all these folders listed as a library location in Organize - Manage libraries - Music? Does WMP still pick up natively supported file types (MP3, WMA, WAV) in these folders?

If you copy a FLAC file to your personal Music folder, does WMP add it to the library then?

When I first installed Windows 8 it all worked like a charm, but then i had some problems and did a sytem restore from the windows media I have, and since then this problem riddles me.

What exactly were these problems leading you to do a system restore?

Reply #539
Yes it doesn´t detect FLAC-files when I try this. Well and my Service Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service was off. So should I try to turn it on instead?

Yes, please try turning the service back on.

And are all these folders listed as a library location in Organize - Manage libraries - Music? Does WMP still pick up natively supported file types (MP3, WMA, WAV) in these folders?

If you copy a FLAC file to your personal Music folder, does WMP add it to the library then?

When I first installed Windows 8 it all worked like a charm, but then i had some problems and did a sytem restore from the windows media I have, and since then this problem riddles me.

What exactly were these problems leading you to do a system restore?
Well I´ll try turning it on then.

I will see if a copy of a FLAC file does something

With all other types its no problem (MP3, MP2, WMA, WAV).

Thanks again for your support.

The problem was uppdating the apps in Apps Store. After restore it worked again.

Edit: It worked when I copied it to the Rippin Folder.

But how do I do it for many folders at the same time?

Best Regards Jalle64

Reply #540

In WMP's library, please click Organize and select Manage libraries - Music. There, add all your music folders to the list of library locations. Then all the music files in these folders, including the FLAC files, should be automatically added to the library.

Reply #541

In WMP's library, please click Organize and select Manage libraries - Music. There, add all your music folders to the list of library locations. Then all the music files in these folders, including the FLAC files, should be automatically added to the library.
Thanks that solved my "problem"

Great work from you!

With highest regards Jalle64

Reply #542
I also tried uninstalling Shark007 per above.  I rebooted and ran the 32 bit version successfully from Program Files (x86).  Performed the refresh, but ALAC files remain in Other.

To follow up on the ALAC issue reported by rknox: we further troubleshooted this by PM and eventually found the cause. It turned out that the current version of WMP Tag Plus still ships with an old version of a DLL used for hooking into WMP's functionality (wmp.dll in WMP's Program Files directory). This old version isn't completely compatible with Windows 8 yet, causing the WMP Tag Plus ALAC support to fail there.

I'm planning to release a bugfix of WMP Tag Plus soon. But if you're experiencing this bug, you can install my Windows Media Player Plus! plug-in as a workaround. That plug-in comes with a newer version of the hook DLL that's fully compatible with Windows 8.

Reply #543
Hi Tim,

I am struggling with FLAC support in WMP12 since upgrading to Win 8.1.

I had been using WMPTag 2.1 in Win 8 for over a year now with zero glitches. I used it under Win 7 before already but that's history.  When upgrading to Win 8.1 my WMP12 immediately 'forgets' all FLAC files. Adding the FLAC directories to the Library from scratch makes no difference. Re-tagging does not add these files to the library either.

Checking the WMPTag settings it seems that FLAC support is active.

One sign of problem has been that after the Win 8.1 install upon starting WMP 12 WMPTag came up - which - given my settings - indicates that WMPTag is not active. It is however flagged as active when reviewing the WMP Add-ins.

Following the advice in an earlier post in this thread I ensured that all my MS apps are updated and recent. No change.

Does this have to do with the WMP.dll also?

Thank in advance
Bernhard

Reply #544
If the WMP Tag Plus settings come up on WMP startup then that doesn't mean that the plug-in is inactive. It simply means that the plug-in 'thinks' that it was just installed. Possibly a consequence of the 8.1 upgrade.

It's unlikely that your issue is also caused by the older wmp.dll version, but I still suggest that you install Windows Media Player Plus! to make sure.

A more likely cause is a problem with the media library database. In that case, resetting the library should help. See my October 22 post for full instructions.

Reply #545
Tim,

I tried to recreate the WMP database but with no change over the state before - all MP3 files (in my MP3 music directory) are re-added and tagged, the flac files (in my FLAC directories) are not seen any more.

I recently read that Microsoft has changed the interface of the Media Center apps to 3rd party plugins with Win 8.1. Maybe another hint to the issue and its solution.

Best regards
Bernhard

Reply #546
Did installing Windows Media Player Plus help?

Are you really sure that the FLAC files don't get added to the library, possibly under Unknown Artist or in a different section like Other media?

In WMP Tag Plus settings, please click Refresh song tags on the Tools tab and follow the instructions. Does it detect the FLAC files, and if so, does refreshing their tags help?

If you manually copy a FLAC file to your MP3 music directory, does the FLAC file get added to the library then? And what if you copy a FLAC file to the default My Music (if not the same folder)?

Reply #547
Hi Tim,

I did install WMP Plus and that screwed up things completely. With both WMPTag and WMPplus installed WMP12 deactivated WMPTag and crashed when trying to manually activate WMPTag.

I then deinstalled WMPTag and only ran with WMPplus but that did not recognize any FLAC file either. I even deleted my FLAC directories once again from the library and re-added them. No change.

Copying and renaming the WMPPlus DLL to the WMPTag drectory was my next attempt but unsuccessful. WMP12 crashed immediately on startup. Maybe a stupid excersize in the first place.

I re-checked but my FLAC files are not added anywhere in WMP12's structure.

I also tried your third hint of copying FLAC files over to my MP3 directories. result: MP3 files visible, FLAC files not visible. Expectable but I wanted to have all your advice applied.

Looking forward to get over this.

Just as a side remark: I am putting emphasis on keeping my system setup clean. I am running regular image backups of my system partition and keep data and media files on separate disks. When I have experimented with software like in this case I apply my last good system backup and am back to clean state. In this case: back on Win 8.1 with WMP12 and WMPTag not recognizing FLAC files.

Reply #548
Per my previous post, have you checked Other media and tried Refresh song tags? What were the results?

I suggest that you also try uninstalling WMP Tag Plus and doing a clean install of the plug-in. Then reset the library once more by following my October 22 instructions. Does that help?

I'm interested in the WMP crash that you got when both WMP Tag Plus and Windows Media Player Plus! were installed. Would it be possible for you to install WMP Plus again to let the crash re-occur, and then send me the full details of the crash?

To get the crash details, open the Start screen, type eventvwr.msc, and press Enter. In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs - Application, and look for Error in that list, there should be an Error event for that same crash. Double-click this event and copy/paste its description into your post. Thanks!

Reply #549
I too have the problem of not being able to add any new albums to my WMP Library after upgrading to Windows 8.1 yesterday.  I can play FLACS fine, and my existing library seems intact. I just cannot add new albums since yesterday. I can play the new files, and add them to playlists, but not to the library itself. Please help?

I have a current library of nearly 3000 albums, 99% of which are FLAC files, so I am really loath to any suggestion of undoing all that, or even uninstalling WMP Tag Plus, which I have apparently been using all this time to make library possible. (I wasn't aware of the mechanics involved in building a WMP Library of FLACs.)