Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_component_manager (Read 73880 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_component_manager

Reply #50
bug: foobar crashes because the downloader cannot find http://www.skipyrich.com/store/foo_channel_mixer.7z (link doesn't resolve)

Which version of foo_component_manager did this happen with? It should have been fixed with 0.1.4. I did notice that link was very flaky when I tried to access it, so I might just host the file myself for the time being.

Bug: when trying to update foo_uie_vis_channel_spectrum from 0.14 to 0.17.2, the new dll erroneously replaces foo_abx

Fixed. That's what happens when you don't pay close attention when copying and pasting!

foo_component_manager

Reply #51
bug: foobar crashes because the downloader cannot find http://www.skipyrich.com/store/foo_channel_mixer.7z (link doesn't resolve)

Which version of foo_component_manager did this happen with? It should have been fixed with 0.1.4. I did notice that link was very flaky when I tried to access it, so I might just host the file myself for the time being.

Bug: when trying to update foo_uie_vis_channel_spectrum from 0.14 to 0.17.2, the new dll erroneously replaces foo_abx

Fixed. That's what happens when you don't pay close attention when copying and pasting!

Ah, correct. I didn't think to update it manually because I was trying to update channelmixer and this component at the same time.

foo_component_manager

Reply #53
foo_DeleteCurrent is the only component still missing in my case.

foo_component_manager

Reply #54
You know, there are the unofficial repository here, right? Updating every single component manually must be quite trivial... Maybe an open common repository would force developers to put more attention to components and possible problems?

Another thing that would be cool, is notification of new components and possible a list of all available components. This could create a larger user base for many interesting components.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

foo_component_manager

Reply #55
I get "XML file out of date" for some components... foo_osd, foo_playlist_attributes, foo_random_pools ...???

foo_component_manager

Reply #56
I'm still missing the following components.

foo_dsp_bs2b, foo_exvar, foo_playback_custom, foo_twitter_post, foo_uie_explorer, foo_uie_graphical_browser

Some might be out of development though.

foo_component_manager

Reply #57
I get "XML file out of date" for some components... foo_osd, foo_playlist_attributes, foo_random_pools ...???

What version numbers are displayed for each of those (installed/available)? As far as I can tell the latest versions are in the xml file:
foo_osd - 1.6
foo_playlist_attributes - 0.2.2
foo_random_pools - 0.0.1
It's been difficult to track down the latest versions of some components as their download links are scattered across posts/threads/developers (foo_winamp_spam for example), but the above ones should be pretty accurate.

I've come across a number of component repositories online (for example here and here), and although quite complete, unfortunately don't seem to be updated on a regular basis. The wiki at http://foobar2000.xrea.jp/ seems to be maintained daily, but doesn't cover all components. I've found visiting developer's homepages the best way to stay up to date, and then update the xml data accordingly. I've been building up a list of developer/component pages for which I'll write a basic parser to automatically download and check them for changes, which will let me know if they've been updated at all. I'll still manually add the data to the xml file though.

I'm hoping one day foobar2000 will offer a centralised component repository, and make it simple for developers to add to it through the SDK. This is something I think Apple did really well with the iPhone and AppStore (limitations and restrictions aside). I'm not saying I want foobar2000 to go down that exact path, but making finding new components and maintaining current components should be much simpler for users than sifting through numerous forums and webpages. Until then though, this is how things are being done

foo_component_manager

Reply #58
New version works as expected. Thank you.

foo_component_manager

Reply #59
foo_osd - Installed: 1.52, Latest: 1.6
foo_playlist_attributes - Installed: 0.2.2 [Nov 16 2009 - 20:33:31], Latest: 0.2.2
foo_random_pools - Installed: 0.0.1 [Dec 27 2009 - 18:22:23], Latest: 0.0.1

I wonder if the date is causing trouble?

foo_component_manager

Reply #60
You're welcome Canar

Yep, it is the dates. The version comparison function is seeing those extra numbers and reports it as being newer (so 0.0.1 [Dec 27 2009 - 18:22:23] is greater than 0.0.1). I'll need to strip out the dates (which a surprising number of components seem to have) before doing the comparison. As for foo_osd, version 1.52 is seen as newer than 1.6 because 52 is larger than 6. Really the numbering is more like 1.5.2, but it's impossible to derive that from the number alone. I guess I could try doing some other checks, like if the two versions are within some threshold of each other, but that's just guess work. Another reason for a standardised repository SDK!

foo_component_manager

Reply #61
but it's impossible to derive that from the number alone.

How about dates, then?  You could probably keep a pseudo-date if you don't know the real release date?

foo_component_manager

Reply #62
I noticed that you require elevation on update even when my user has full write access to foobar directory (running Windows 7). Also the extracted files had Administrator as the owner instead of me.

foo_component_manager

Reply #64
Seeing as how you're keeping an index of all the components anyhow, perhaps you could keep an index of all the versions as well? If you keep the list ordered, it should be simple to determine which version is newer.

foo_component_manager

Reply #65
Seeing as how you're keeping an index of all the components anyhow, perhaps you could keep an index of all the versions as well? If you keep the list ordered, it should be simple to determine which version is newer.

Doesn't it already do that? I noticed for continuator, that multiple versions were listed in the dropdown.

Would be nice to be able to enforce a certain version to be installed.

foo_component_manager

Reply #66
For better testing i used an old portable foobar installation (after updating 1.0) that contains much outdated components. That looks very good and impressive! Thanks!

However, here some results:

1. After pressing "download and install" and downloading all the new components i restarted foobar by main menu -< restart.  I saw a command prompt window for a few seconds and foobar restarted but no component was updated. I repeated the procedure but now i closed foobar. That seemed to help: Almost all was updated.

2. There are three components i can't update although they seemed to be downloaded. I tried it several times.
[blockquote]foo_tradersfriend 0.7 -> 0.7.1
foo_podcatcher 0.0.2 (alpha) -> 0.1.5f
foo_lastfm_radio 0.5 -> 0.5.7e[/blockquote]

foo_component_manager

Reply #68
An official central repository and an official naming/versioning convention would make things much easier. But if they go through that much trouble then they might just as well put the updater into fb2k itself

foo_component_manager

Reply #69
2. There are three components i can't update although they seemed to be downloaded. I tried it several times.

foo_podcatcher is downloading the html file linking to the seperate components for foobar 1.0 and 0.9.6 instead of the actual component.

foo_component_manager

Reply #70
I'm hoping one day foobar2000 will offer a centralised component repository, and make it simple for developers to add to it through the SDK. This is something I think Apple did really well with the iPhone and AppStore (limitations and restrictions aside). I'm not saying I want foobar2000 to go down that exact path, but making finding new components and maintaining current components should be much simpler for users than sifting through numerous forums and webpages. Until then though, this is how things are being done

Or just how it works for firefox. The update mechanism is from the end user point of view simple to use and the system is always up-to-date + quick search capabilities for new components.

These are the ones that are reported (I don't necessarily know if these are latest versions)

Not found in the xml list:
foo_comserver2 0.7 alpha 6
foo_covers2 0.06
foo_dockable_panels 1.9.7b no official link
foo_lyricsdb 0.0.8 beta 0
foo_input_flv 0.1
foo_playback_custom 1.5.1
foo_prettypop 1.2.4
foo_stopaftercuralbum 0.2
foo_twitterpost 1.8.1
foo_ui_graphical_browser rev015

XML File out of date:
foo_osd 1.6

Cheers,

Chris

foo_component_manager

Reply #72
Thank you to everyone who has reported issues and missing components

Some components are reporting versions differently to what their webpage shows, which is what I was using for the xml info. I'm now making sure to install every component and grabbing the version from there instead.

foo_tradersfriend 0.7 -> 0.7.1
foo_lastfm_radio 0.5 -> 0.5.7e

foo_trandersfriend is labelled as version 0.7.1 on the website, but reports 0.7 when installed (even though it's the 0.7.1 download). I've modified the xml so it matches the reported version.
foo_podcatcher and foo_lastfm_radio were only downloading the html of the homepage (as reported by ledge) and hence not updating, so I'm hosting the files myself.

An official central repository and an official naming/versioning convention would make things much easier. But if they go through that much trouble then they might just as well put the updater into fb2k itself

Or just how it works for firefox. The update mechanism is from the end user point of view simple to use and the system is always up-to-date + quick search capabilities for new components.

Agreed on both counts

foo_component_manager

Reply #73

A newer version was found, though not recognized as new.

foo_component_manager

Reply #74
First of all, thanks for this awesome component !!!

I want to report a bug:
While/after downloading of an update (foo_dop) foobar2000 crashes.
The next file would have been foo_dsp_bs2b.