Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSD256 wv multichannel --> 352.8k PCM multichannel (Read 2782 times) previous topic - next topic

DSD256 wv multichannel --> 352.8k PCM multichannel

I only recently learned that WavPack file handler can 'decode' or downsample DSD to PCM. Do I understand this right? How can one wrap DSD256 dff mch files in a wavpack in the first place? If so, is it possible to read multichannel DSD256 wv files into a PCM daw like Reaper?

I have a 14ch session recording in DSD256 dff that I would like to convert to wv then play in Reaper. I commonly convert these DSD256 files to 352.8k PCM wavs for Reaper, but I would love to play the DSD directly with the WavPack filehandler in Reaper if possible. Does this make sense?

Thanks!
Jesse

Re: DSD256 wv multichannel --> 352.8k PCM multichannel

Reply #1
I only recently learned that WavPack file handler can 'decode' or downsample DSD to PCM. Do I understand this right?

Whether or not you have understood it right (and I don't know Reaper):
WavPack 5 (since late 2016) can handle and compress DSD.
And it can decode .wv files.

Whether that works in Reaper ... try to encode and then play it! More here: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=117319.0 (IIRC my rant about fb2k is obsolete).

Re: DSD256 wv multichannel --> 352.8k PCM multichannel

Reply #2
I just tried a test version of Reaper from about 6 months ago and it was not able to read WavPack DSD files. It would be pretty trivial  of them to add that because, as you suggest, the functionality of automatically converting to high sample rate PCM is part of the WavPack library they are using. They just need to set the OPEN_DSD_AS_PCM flag when they open the WavPack file. You might want to suggest this on their forums.

BTW, the file filter I created for Adobe Audition works this way, and it would handle your 14 channel files.

The one issue is that when the WavPack library decimates DSD to PCM it's only 8:1, so your DSD256 files will become 1411.2 kHz PCM, which is pretty high. You would probably want to downsample them right away before you did much with them.

As for converting your DFF files to WavPack, it's just a matter of using the command-line encoder. And since it's a compression operation, your file will become significantly smaller:

Code: [Select]
wavpack samplefile.dff

In fact, on Windows, you can even drag and drop the DFF file onto the WavPack.exe icon.