Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

How much do you smoke? (if at all)

3-5 packs a day
[ 0 ] (0%)
1-2 packs a day
[ 16 ] (13.9%)
1 pack a week
[ 14 ] (12.2%)
Approx. a cigarette / cigar / pipe / "other" a week
[ 10 ] (8.7%)
I don't smoke
[ 75 ] (65.2%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Topic: How much do you smoke? (Read 33297 times) previous topic - next topic

How much do you smoke?

Reply #50
Here's the thing though: Smoking only increases your risk of cancer. It does not necessarily cause it. So, for some, it is not really harmful, and is at worst a gamble with one's own health. Overeating, on the other hand...

How much do you smoke?

Reply #51
I do not smoke sigs but somthing other i stand up agenst smoking in public places Why should I have to put up with breathing in someones 2nd hand smoke.

How much do you smoke?

Reply #52
Here's the thing though: Smoking only increases your risk of cancer. It does not necessarily cause it. So, for some, it is not really harmful, and is at worst a gamble with one's own health. Overeating, on the other hand...

Is there anything that is a cause for cancer  or are there only things that increase the risk

Besides that, some of those 400-500 chemicals besides the stuff tobacco and paper is made of, are not 'only' increasing the chance of cancer but are toxic in some other ways too. And they don't care if they get inhaled by the guy who smokes them or by the guy that's just sitting in the same bar.

How much do you smoke?

Reply #53
On a serious note, the only reason to make me quit would be that I hate the idea to support those greedy bastards of tobacco corps. with my money. Same goes for other corps. though.

That was one of my main reasons too. Especially tobacco corporations' extremely dubious actions in 3rd world countries during the last years/decades.

Is there anything that is a cause for cancer  or are there only things that increase the risk

Well, I think a good, solid dose of gamma radiation should do it

How much do you smoke?

Reply #54
On a serious note, the only reason to make me quit would be that I hate the idea to support those greedy bastards of tobacco corps. with my money. Same goes for other corps. though.
Problem in my country: The (local) tobacco companies employ a lot of people, provide the greatest state income (20-30% of budgeted income IIRC) from taxes and export duties.

Those in the 'States and Canada can tell you the price for a pack of Djarum, manufactured in my country.

Even in Singapore, which is very near, our filtered 'kretek's fetch a price of nearly twice the price of other mainstream brands (e.g. Marlboro's, Dunhill's, etc.)

How much do you smoke?

Reply #55
I've had friends who smoked 2-3 grams of marijuana, plus a half a pack of cigarettes per day, incuding between classes;  I deem that sort of relationship to smoking (and education) as irresponsible on their part, not to mention their lungs which must be completely dead.  Oh well...

How much do you smoke?

Reply #56
Problem in my country: The (local) tobacco companies employ a lot of people, provide the greatest state income (20-30% of budgeted income IIRC) from taxes and export duties.

Well, think Afghanistan, poppy and its derivatives should be like 80% of its income, so you're not that screwed after all. Everything's relative 

How much do you smoke?

Reply #57

on the same line, they are responsible for countless deaths, countless breathing illnesses that cost the state a lof of money. Money also from trials, etc, etc. I think we would do better without tobaco.

How much do you smoke?

Reply #58
I think we would do better without tobaco.

With the current increase in smoke banning in cities, areas, etc., I'm noticing being reported in the news in the U.S. I only give it a few more years to where it will be illegal to light a cig outside of ones own home, and not too long after that a complete ban on smoking altogether. It's such a serious problem/addiction that my thinking is there needs to be some sort of prescription drug (hopefully safe) to purge the body of the addiction. I definitely know I'll stop smoking before it's completely banned in my area but not due to laws but instead for my health.

Also the statics of smoking cigs aren't promising, according to a news report each cig smoked takes approximately 8 minutes off ones life, so add up all the packs/cartons smoked and many people will be loosing 10, 20, 30 years of life expectancy depending upon how much and how long they smoke. However with other sources/chemicals that we have zero control over and unknowingly ingest into our bodies which range from preservatives in food products to all of the contaminants around us at all times which we either ingest or breathe in smoking cig's alongside those is very risky. But then again we could all be Olympic quality atheletes in tip top shape, and just drop dead one day without no obvious ailments that caused it.

How much do you smoke?

Reply #59
I just realized the strangest thing. Deaths from lung cancer are quite rare here in my country. Most death are due to old age, or heart disease related to diabetes or others.

Hmm. No wonder 50% of my countrymen (and -women) smoke. Almost no one can show that cigarette causes lung cancer in my country.

That said, the most effective warning that our Department of Health did put is: Tobacco can cause impotence. Seems this sentence gives the strongest effect

How much do you smoke?

Reply #60
That said, the most effective warning that our Department of Health did put is: Tobacco can cause impotence. Seems this sentence gives the strongest effect
Especially for women, eh?

How much do you smoke?

Reply #61
I smoked a pack a day for years, then went to rolling my own. Then I averaged about 8/day but on weekends or when drinking, much more. I *loved* smoking, especially rolling Drum, until one day when I'd had too much the night before and all of a sudden gave it a shot. Also I realized a conspicuous number stuck out -- I started smoking at 16, and was then 32. When I considered that half of my life was spent smoking cigarettes it felt like the right time to stop.

Still enjoy occasionally smoking "other" though....

How much do you smoke?

Reply #62
Tried smoking cigs a year or so back.  After a few different kinds, I found that I could at least stand Marlboro 27's so I smoked about 2-3 cigs a day for about 3 weeks untill I started feeling sick after I smoked so I gave it up.  I still occasionally (about once a week) bum a drag off of someone-else's cig on a bad day at work for the usual head-rush and stress relief, and also I occasionally dabble in the 'other' category, but that's about it.  I still don't honestly see why people spend so much money on an empty guesture.  Now weed, on the other hand...

Story:  I used to be roommates with this girl at an apartment and she was really cool except she chain-smoked and the ashtrays whold overflow and no-one emptied them and then she wold move to empty Coke cans and pretty soon there were a dozen ash-filled cans scattered about.  I would have been able to put up with the smell and mess except the mess ended up being ON TOP OF MY GOOD TOWER SPEAKERS since she usually sat next to them.  One day I cleaned the place and wiped a freakin' ashtray-full of ashes off my speakers.  I was pretty pissed after that.  Not to mention that the smell of tobacco had fused with all my things.

Also, Andavari, a really cool avatar.  I will probably cange mine to some FFVII picture too because me and my friend, who also lives at the said apartment and is dating said girl, are really into that game / movie.
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

How much do you smoke?

Reply #63
and is at worst a gamble with one's own health.

that is the key point. If it was a gamble with on's own health, non-smoker won't be complaining. The truth is that when you are besides people smoking, you are smoking too. I have for example on restaurants, when people smoke besides me. I not mad at people smoking per se, i'm mad at i having to smell the horrible smoke.

How much do you smoke?

Reply #64
I don't smoke, never have, never will. I'm actually a health concious person, but about half of my friends smoke and I stopped bugging them about it because I realized that smoking teenagers will only stop smoking when/if they feel like it, but they're thoughtful enough to not smoke indoors and/or in the presence of their non-smoking friends.
we was young an' full of beans

How much do you smoke?

Reply #65
I smoke 15-18 cigarettes per day.
Mostly Sovereign (red) or Marlboro (red).
And the problem is that I like smoking

How much do you smoke?

Reply #66

and is at worst a gamble with one's own health.

that is the key point. If it was a gamble with on's own health, non-smoker won't be complaining. The truth is that when you are besides people smoking, you are smoking too. I have for example on restaurants, when people smoke besides me. I not mad at people smoking per se, i'm mad at i having to smell the horrible smoke.

Well, in this case, those who would force you to endure something you do not wish to endure are being disrespectful. However, in this instance, you probably have the opportunity to frequent restaurants without smoking sections as well.

You choose to be at that restaurant. Don't complain about smokers when there are obvious courses of action you can take to solve your "problem".

Please don't misunderstand; I don't mean to attack, I merely mean to point out that this problem is, at least in part, created by you. It can be solved entirely through your own actions. Perhaps you see things differently, and I would be happy to hear that perspective.

How much do you smoke?

Reply #68
Well, in this case, those who would force you to endure something you do not wish to endure are being disrespectful. However, in this instance, you probably have the opportunity to frequent restaurants without smoking sections as well.

You choose to be at that restaurant. Don't complain about smokers when there are obvious courses of action you can take to solve your "problem".

Please don't misunderstand; I don't mean to attack, I merely mean to point out that this problem is, at least in part, created by you. It can be solved entirely through your own actions. Perhaps you see things differently, and I would be happy to hear that perspective.

So, i have to stop going to my fave restaurant, cause somebody wants to smoke there? I think you are completely wrong. I'm being respectful of others people. We say that "your right ends where the others starts". I don't mind they smoking, as long as they keep all the smoke on their lungs. If they can't, there should probably be some "only for smokers" restaurants. They should go there not me.

By your reasoning, anybody can do anything, and if the others don't like it, just go out. So, i go a restaurant, and i decide that i like to smoke the strongest pipe, there is, so, everybody has to either, stand it, or go out?

How much do you smoke?

Reply #69

So, i have to stop going to my fave restaurant, cause somebody wants to smoke there? I think you are completely wrong. I'm being respectful of others people. We say that "your right ends where the others starts". I don't mind they smoking, as long as they keep all the smoke on their lungs. If they can't, there should probably be some "only for smokers" restaurants. They should go there not me.

By your reasoning, anybody can do anything, and if the others don't like it, just go out. So, i go a restaurant, and i decide that i like to smoke the strongest pipe, there is, so, everybody has to either, stand it, or go out?
In my opinion, it's similar to the TOS here at HA.

What is the TOS of the restaurant? If the TOS contains "Thou shalt not smoke," then the smokers must smoke outside the restaurant or risked being tossed out. However, if the TOS contains "Thou art allowed to smoke," then it is the risk of non-smokers to enter because they (non-smokers) know that the restaurant allows anyone to smoke inside of it.

Just like in HA. For instance, if one does not agree at TOS #8, then by all means, do not join the HA forum, because sooner or later whatever claim about sound quality he/she makes will have to be accompanied by ABX  If one doesn't ever want to produce ABX, then why should one join in the first place.

How much do you smoke?

Reply #70
What is the TOS of the restaurant? If the TOS contains "Thou shalt not smoke," then the smokers must smoke outside the restaurant or risked being tossed out. However, if the TOS contains "Thou art allowed to smoke," then it is the risk of non-smokers to enter because they (non-smokers) know that the restaurant allows anyone to smoke inside of it.

Thats why i go to restaurants that have smoking/non smoking areas. Problem is that sometimes, one is besides the other.

Thanksfully, at the end of the year, Buenos Aires should be smoke free.

How much do you smoke?

Reply #71

No. You're completely misunderstanding. I'm saying that there are two places the problem originates from: 1) The smoker's actions. 2) Your intolerance of the smoker's actions. I'm not justifying the smoker's actions, I'm merely pointing out that if you fix number two (which you are certainly capable of), there is no more problem. It may be trite, but "it takes two to tango".

As for your favourite restaurant, well... a simple cost/benefit analysis should solve the problem. Is the benefit that you get from said restaurant greater or less than the cost of inhaling second-hand smoke? If it is not, stop going, or ask them to become non-smoking. If it is, then complaining about the smoke is merely dwelling on negativity and poisoning your peace of mind.

By your reasoning, anybody can do anything, and if the others don't like it, just go out.

Wrong. By my reasoning, a conflict between two people (or groups or whatever) can be resolved by either one.

Perhaps that clarified what I'm saying. I still agree that it is inconsiderate to smoke around people who don't appreciate it, and I personally restrict my smoking to social groups where no one is made uncomfortable by it. That said, I'm ceasing all chemical intoxication in about two weeks...

How much do you smoke?

Reply #72
No. You're completely misunderstanding. I'm saying that there are two places the problem originates from: 1) The smoker's actions. 2) Your intolerance of the smoker's actions. I'm not justifying the smoker's actions, I'm merely pointing out that if you fix number two (which you are certainly capable of), there is no more problem. It may be trite, but "it takes two to tango".

Wrong. By my reasoning, a conflict between two people (or groups or whatever) can be resolved by either one.

Perhaps that clarified what I'm saying. I still agree that it is inconsiderate to smoke around people who don't appreciate it, and I personally restrict my smoking to social groups where no one is made uncomfortable by it. That said, I'm ceasing all chemical intoxication in about two weeks...

Of course there are two ways to solve a problem. But the "natural" thing is not to smoke/contaminate. I'm not creating the problem.

The thing is that you see smoking as something natural, which is not.

It's like saying, pollution is a problem, so instead of trying to stop it, why don't we learn to live in a devastated earth?

If a patient has an illness, we can (1) try to cure it or (2) leave it like that and learn to live with it. Naturally we would try to eradicate the illness.

If you see a contaminating factory on the back of your house, what would you rather do? (1) try to stop them from contaminating? or (2) learn to live with the contamination?

It's not only the restaurant. Why do i have to tolerate people smoking in my face on the street?

I'm glad you would stop smoking, for yourself, but more for me.

How much do you smoke?

Reply #73
It's not only the restaurant. Why do i have to tolerate people smoking in my face on the street?

Because being tolerant is a virtue?

Of course there are two ways to solve a problem. But the "natural" thing is not to smoke/contaminate. I'm not creating the problem.

Actually, you are. The smoker does not perceive there to be any problem. You are the person to whom this problem exists. It is like I said; one way to completely circumvent this problem is to fix your own intolerance of smoking. Then there is no more problem, and this problem will never recur. You simply will not notice it any more.

The thing is that you see smoking as something natural, which is not.

There isn't much in the modern world I'd consider "natural". Igniting plant material and inhaling the smoke is probably one of the least "natural" activities on the planet.

It's not only the restaurant. Why do i have to tolerate people smoking in my face on the street? It's like saying, pollution is a problem, so instead of trying to stop it, why don't we learn to live in a devastated earth?

Let's recap: smoking is legal, although the level of social acceptedness varies with political jurisdiction. So, if you are so strongly anti-smoking, the logical thing to do is to either move to somewhere where it can't bother you or work on convincing your politicians to see things the way you do. Other jurisdictions have. Likewise, many jurisdictions have stringent restrictions on industrial pollutants. This analogy relies on law to solve your problem.

Anyhow, the whole thing comes down to the issue of tolerance. Perhaps you do not perceive universal tolerance to be a moral virtue. I do, and to me, intolerance seems as silly to me as smoking probably does to you. I base my beliefs on a value system that ranks people above habits. Perhaps you differ here. You are certainly welcome to!