Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ADPCM (WAV) (Read 5311 times) previous topic - next topic

ADPCM (WAV)

It confused me with its extension (*.WAV) but it's definitely lossy with 176 kbits/s. So if it is lossy which coder is the best to transcode ADPCM into it?

ADPCM (WAV)

Reply #1
The format itself doesn't give an encoder much freedom w.r.t. deciding how to encode your signel, so, it doesn't really matter which encoder you use.

Cheers!
SG

ADPCM (WAV)

Reply #2
I've meant I have ADPCM files and I wonder which encoder is better to code them.

ADPCM (WAV)

Reply #3
Are you worried about the issues of transcoding from one lossy format to another? Don't be. ADPCM does not utilize any of the psychoacoustics that can cause problems when reencoding. At most there will be an increase in the noise level, so reencoding to your favorite lossy format should work just fine.

ADPCM (WAV)

Reply #4
The noise will still be a problem.

Quoting an old but easy-to-understand post:
The only thing you'll probably notice is a slight increase in noise. This is because ADPCM uses prediction and a predefined index of sample values. These predefined are used instead of the real value.

So if you have, say, 283, 999, 391 as the input, ADPCM codecs may make them 290, 1000, 400.

It sounds pretty good, but it's not perfect

ADPCM (WAV)

Reply #5
The noise will still be a problem.

The noise will be a problem, but it will not affect one lossy codec more than another. It has no bearing on which lossy format the OP chooses to reencode to.

ADPCM (WAV)

Reply #6
Thank you for answers