Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some random requests about shuffle (Read 5007 times) previous topic - next topic

Some random requests about shuffle

Talking of random; is there anyone who would be willing to write a small real shuffle plugin instead of the playlist-based ones that exists now? Basically what I mean is that if you press next song, then press previous song, as it is now, the same song will play as you just played. I would like it to be completely random, ie if I pressed next song, then previous song, another song would play than the one I just listened to. Basically Ï'm thinking a random number generator that at the end of each song, or the press of next/previous button, randomizes a number (say between 1 and 1024) and jumps accordingly in the playlist (say 1 = 1 song down in the playlist, 2 = 2 etc, at end of playlist just go back from top).

Does that sound like a reasonable solution? I don't know but from my small programming experience this shouldn't be too hard to do; but then again I am not that experienced. Anyone would like to take this on?

Reply #1
Hmh, although I am not sure what this exactly has to do with this specific topic.

But you might want to do a forum search for foo_shuffle.

Hope this helps.

Reply #2
Talking of random; is there anyone who would be willing to write a small real shuffle plugin instead of the playlist-based ones that exists now? Basically what I mean is that if you press next song, then press previous song, as it is now, the same song will play as you just played. I would like it to be completely random, ie if I pressed next song, then previous song, another song would play than the one I just listened to. Basically Ï'm thinking a random number generator that at the end of each song, or the press of next/previous button, randomizes a number (say between 1 and 1024) and jumps accordingly in the playlist (say 1 = 1 song down in the playlist, 2 = 2 etc, at end of playlist just go back from top).

Does that sound like a reasonable solution? I don't know but from my small programming experience this shouldn't be too hard to do; but then again I am not that experienced. Anyone would like to take this on?

Why? Why not just click forward again?? *shrugs*

Steve

Reply #3
picmixer/Paranoia:

What foo_shuffle does, as I said earlier (as I've understood it), is to generate a playlist (that contains alot of doubles), so basically you're stuck with one single playlist. Shuffle is actually worse than "randomize playlist", which atleast removes the possible doubles. Why do I want a completely random playlist then, why not just randomize? Because sometimes, I want to play a specific song, say Jailhouse Rock with Elvis. The problem then will be that if I want to listen to it 3 times a day, the shuffle will continue from Jailhouse Rock all three times, ie - after listening to Elvis, I will hear the same damn songs over and over again.

When having a random number generator the possibility of this is second to none. If you have a +1000 song playlist, the chances of getting the same songs twice in a row is about 1 in a two million shot. I want shuffle to be just that - shuffle, not "randomize a playlist where I'll hear the same songs over and over again".  With todays computers, a randomization of a number takes little to no processingpower, so resourcewise this is nothing major.

Reply #4
Hmh, no. What foo_shuffle does has nothing to do with creating new playlists.

It simply adds new playback modes to the "order" drop down menu.

It features real shuffle playback as opposed to FB2K's random playback, (which is just random as it sais).  It is also quite configurable in the preferences to achieve different kind of shuffle behaviours. For example a mode to only shuffle between different albums and not tracks.

You can get it at Kode54's plugin page.

Hope this helps

Reply #5
No it doesn't, I'm sorry if I sound like a jackass saying it, but it's not for me. Maybe it's me; I'll insert my settings here, see if it's me.

Reply #6
That's called history navigation. Manually replaying a song that is still in the history will not move it to the top of the stack.

I would not advise setting the reduce level so high, either. You will have to manually reset the history once it runs out of songs.

If you care so much about clear and concise shuffling and history navigation, randomize your playlist and use the normal play order.

Reply #7
If that's the only solution I will try and do a "real" shuffle/randomize plugin myself. The hopes of succeeding in this are (ofcourse) slim to none, but I'll give it a shot, because the randomize-playlist thing just repeats the problem I am having with shuffle as-is today (ie the same songs playing over and over again just because I want to "re-listen" to one song). We'll see how it goes - or if anyone who knows programming could do this (for me and for the community) it would be great. Anywho, enough rambling.

Reply #8
i think you could solve your whole problem by just assigning a kbd shortcut to [main]Playback/random.

using the back/next button moves around your history, like you say, but [main]Playback/random gives you a totally new song. (and you can still move back/next in the history if you want.)

Reply #9
Thanks! Case said he was going to do one too, but never got around to it.

The source code to my shuffle component is available. Don't forget the mt_rand class linked from the description. It could do with globalizing the critical section so that the child classes inherit a critical section pointer from the main list class instead of each having their own.