Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about 48bit fixed-point (in foobar) (Read 2643 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about 48bit fixed-point (in foobar)

I am interested in a question: what sound card(map) supports output 48bit?
In foobar2000 it is possible output 48bit fixed-point.

Not in a theme...By the way asio driver wamirack 24 supports  Int32LSB only.
And if to listen audio cd in 32 fixed-point sounds much better than 16 bit padded to 32bit.
I listen  audio  cd on audio-monitors FOSTEX NF1A.

Question about 48bit fixed-point (in foobar)

Reply #1
I am interested in a question: what sound card(map) supports output 48bit?

None. From a sound quality point of view, anything over 24 bit has no sense, since there is no DAC in the world that can achieve true 24-bit performance.

In foobar2000 it is possible output 48bit fixed-point.

I think it is there just to have all options, but it's not of much use in practice.

Not in a theme...By the way asio driver wamirack 24 supports  Int32LSB only.
And if to listen audio cd in 32 fixed-point sounds much better than 16 bit padded to 32bit.
I listen  audio  cd on audio-monitors FOSTEX NF1A.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only difference here would be the 16-bit dithering (before padding to 32 bit) that doesn't happen on pure 32-bit fixed point. That difference is really small, and should dissapear if you disable dithering. Either there is something that is not working properly in FB2K (could be checked using the diskwriter), or it's the ubiquituous placebo effect playing with your perceptions. I vote for the 2nd. possibility.