Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cannot set PCI latency on mys asus P5QC (Read 5787 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot set PCI latency on mys asus P5QC

hello,

Since I upgrade to my new motherboard, I've got no option for pci in bios. Just the pci plug and play.

With pci latency tool I cannot see my device -> RME digi 96/8 pad.

On my previous motherboard, it was visible.

So, what's the problem ?

Why I cannot see anything. Maybe a trick to change the pci latency of my device ?

thx for any help

Reply #1
Likely the answer is that your new motherboard isn't supported by your tool.
But knowing more details (OS, new motherboard model, old motherboard model) might be helpful.
Creature of habit.

Reply #2
Likely the answer is that your new motherboard isn't supported by your tool.
But knowing more details (OS, new motherboard model, old motherboard model) might be helpful.

ok, my OS is windows 7 x86

my motherboard model is an asus P5QC with intel P45 chipset and ICH10R southbridge

the old one was an asrock (lol) 775dual-vsta

I noticed that pci explorer pci explorer screenshot can see my device. ( sorry the screenshot doesn't reflect reality, it's from softpedia )

In this soft I aparently can modify "max_latency" or "latency_timer". It's registry values ?

May I do something with this soft ? I don't want to make a mistake

Reply #3
In this soft I aparently can modify "max_latency" or "latency_timer". It's registry values ?

May I do something with this soft ? I don't want to make a mistake

I have no experience with this particular software, so I'm just guessing here.

The max_latency should be read only unless this program uses some weird terminology. This is the maximum amount of time that device can tolerate waiting between the bus access sessions. It is reported by each device separately.

The latency_timer is configurable (although in some devices it can be hardwired). This is the maximum number of clock cycles the device is allowed to hold the bus for. Normally it is set by BIOS or by the device driver at system startup. It usually has larger values for devices that need to transfer large amounts of data, like video cards or video capture interfaces. This is the value that can be changed with the PCI Latency Tool.

I don't know whether these are implemented through registry (so that Windows manages them later), or if the program tries to directly access the PCI devices through specific driver or BIOS calls. At least in the Windows XP registry there are no keys with these names.

Anyway, you should not mess with these unless something's not working properly. Are you having problems with your sound card?

Reply #4
You shouldn't need to change the latency anymore. This was only useful for broken chipsets (especially VIA) that in some cases exhibited sound dropouts caused mainly by AGP cards hogging up PCI for too long or sound distortion while HDD seeking. I didn't see this behavior on any of the modern chipsets.

Reply #5
You shouldn't need to change the latency anymore. This was only useful for broken chipsets (especially VIA) that in some cases exhibited sound dropouts caused mainly by AGP cards hogging up PCI for too long or sound distortion while HDD seeking. I didn't see this behavior on any of the modern chipsets.

Yes, I know. But, If I want to increase the latency, it's because I have some sound crakles. Even with buffers set at a high level. No other reason..

With this old card I'd rather increase at 64 for stability ?

Reply #6
Put the card in the PCI slot on bottom, this helped some people (look at RME forums). If that doesn't help, it's most likely a driver issue, after all, support for this card ended around 2004 so there are no drivers for Vista let alone W7. In Windows 7 this card only works correctly in ASIO mode, no WDM.

Reply #7
Put the card in the PCI slot on bottom, this helped some people (look at RME forums). If that doesn't help, it's most likely a driver issue, after all, support for this card ended around 2004 so there are no drivers for Vista let alone W7. In Windows 7 this card only works correctly in ASIO mode, no WDM.

That's what I made when I set up my pc.

Think you're true for the driver issue. It's an evidence.

But I guessed that it was possible to change the pci latency. I only use this card in ASIO, even in xp no wdm. For example, sound crakles appears in foobar. ( frrrrrffffffffff my english, I'm french)