Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: UniGUI - Unified GUI for CueTools - Non functional / Concept (Read 2248 times) previous topic - next topic

UniGUI - Unified GUI for CueTools - Non functional / Concept

-First, I am not a professional programmer/designer. So all of this could be done better for sure.
- Second, my English is very limited. I am sorry.

A few days ago I was curious about XAML and I spent some time trying it in Visual Studio.
At the same time, I was using CueTools. It's an excellent program, but the user interface is a bit outdated, inconsistent and messy (IMHO, no ofense intended).
So after a few samples, some buttons and text boxes, I started thinking about this as a practice:

-One single GUI unifying all the options of CueTools.
-Clear, logic and easy enough by default (thinking in my father, 70).  :)
-Updated and nice design (IMHO, again).  ;)

Today, I have something that could work, but this is an unfinished project that can be unfinished forever, because I don't have knowledge enough for write a lot of the needed functionality.
Since I keep "playing" with XAML and trying to improve things in the UI, all the opinions and suggestions are wellcome. If someone is interested, I will send the source (Visual Studio 2019 Community, C#, WPF App, .NET Core).

Some graphical explanations:

Clean 1:1 (as advised, it's only a non functional GUI, some parts are edited):

Best regards.

Re: UniGUI - Unified GUI for CueTools - Non functional / Concept

Reply #1
👎
korth

Reply #2
And the long answer is... :D
I can accept criticism, of course, but I was waiting something like "put more icons" or "the window is too big". It's not a radical change from the current UI.
Make a slightly more elaborated answer, please. I have a lot of controls left to try, including tabs and sliders.  :))

Reply #3
That was just my vote. I expected others to respond.
I do appreciate that you put a lot of thought and work into this.
There is just too much packed into one window.
I would prefer a multi-windowed approach
  • one tool per window showing only the controls necessary to use that tool
  • a menu window to select which tool you want to use (plus shortcuts that do the same)
  • the ability to move work from one tool to another (e.g. CUERipper to CUETools repair)
korth

Reply #4
I know this worth nothing without a developer, but I keep spending time with this concept.
I have a new draft, trying to simplify things a bit. Not a "unified" GUI anymore (a single tool has its own tab), and I'm not 100% happy with this yet, but I could live with it.
I don't know if the drop down menu makes sense as it has tabs too, but it's a way to go further. The first attempt was more conservative and realistic, but we could be even more disruptive and move many one-time-config options to settings. Let's see if there's a third one.

Main menu:

Audio CD tab:

Reply #5
Very cool! Could you share that one too, please?

Reply #6
I'm sorry. As I've said these UI concepts were basic and incomplete practises of XAML, made with novice's curiosity. They are empty of functionality, so I edit the graphics simulating one hypothetical "real thing".
I posted a first attempt expecting some interactivity and ideas from other forum members, and then I made a second version trying to follow Korth's comments, but I think that they can add nothing truly better than an edited graphic.
Regards, and thanks for your interest.  ;)