Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 5.12 Released (Read 16998 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 5.12 Released

Winamp 5.12

8th Dec 2005 - build 5.1.2.272

Whats new:
* New: [in_wm] Windows Media Video support (with DRM)
* New: [in_mp4] Support for HE-AAC MP4/M4A files
* Improved: lots of minor plugin improvements
* Improved: Visualization data calculations
* Improved: Significantly less playlist memory usage
* Improved: more multi-user improvements (almost there!)
* Improved: [installer] setup options, saved settings, codec downloading
* Improved: [gen_ff] optimized skinning engine
* Improved: [out_disk] new features
* Improved: [in_cdda] playback/ripping with sonic engine
* Fixed: freezing when cancelling cd burn
* Fixed: video scaling bug (with modern skin scaling < 100%)
* Fixed: minor installer bugs
* Fixed: freeze when loading classic skin with main window hidden
* Fixed: Visualizations for 24bit and 32bit songs
* Fixed: Advanced Title Formatting with Japanese, Chinese and Korean metadata
* Fixed: [in_mp3] raw AAC VBR file seeking and bitrate reporting
* Fixed: [in_mp4] unicode metadata writing
* Fixed: [in_wm/in_dshow] mms:// streaming video playback
* Fixed: [in_cdda] audio cd bitrate display
* Fixed: [in_cdda] Sonic engine on 64bit windows
* Fixed: lots of small bugs ...
* Updated: Sonic CD Engine 2.2.50
* Updated: libmp4v2 1.4.1
* Updated: Coding Technology AAC+ Decoder 7.2.0

More Info / Download
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=232824
http://www.winamp.com/player/

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #1
Thanks for the info.

Looks like a really nice update. Starting to enjoy Winamp more and more now. Stopped using iTunes because it's a resource hog, and Foobar2000 is just too much for my taste (takes ages to set up properly, and doesn't, for me - offer the same functionality as WA5 offers).

I just wish it somehow would be possible to listen to WMA9 Internet Radio's from within Winamp, as my favourite netradio station encodes and broadcasts directly to WMA9 170kbps, and then transcodes from that to mp3 128kbps - they are probably using some really crappy encoder (or settings) since the soundquality is extremely different - thus i really prefer the WMA Stream.

EDIT: Woah, 5.12 is MUCH faster than 5.112 atleast, when loading the Media Library and big playlists.. MUCH faster.
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #2
About this version's purported HE-AAC playback support...
Why has it been so difficult for them to provide this?  I mean, little XMplay has been doing this just fine for ages, and I've pretty much switched over to that.  What is the issue that has complicated Winamp's design of in_mp4 ?

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #4
A Nice upgrade. Happy with it here. Finally the WinAMP folks are supporting M4A/MP4 file AACPlus v2/HE-AAC playback!

Wishlist: If only they would support FLAC playback out the box. I have a lot of users that don't know how to install WinAMP FLAC playback support to listen to my FLAC files

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #5
It seems to work much better in x64; prior versions froze when playing a CD in my machine.  Ironic that it gets this good so many months after everyone had intoned eulogies.
BTW, somebody created a new screen.maki that can be folded into the scripts folder of SingleGUI-10008 to make that very cool skin work more reliably.

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #6
Wishlist: If only they would support FLAC playback out the box. I have a lot of users that don't know how to install WinAMP FLAC playback support to listen to my FLAC files
They're smart enough to search out and use the FLAC format but don't know how to drag & drop or cut & paste a file into a directory in Windows Explorer? 

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #7
Update

12th Dec 2005

Build 5.1.2.275 now available

This was a silent update which fixes a bug where Winamp would lockup when trying to access dead mms:// streams.

If you are hosting the downloads on an external server (ie. not linking directly to the nullsoft server) then we would appreciate it if you would update to the latest build(s).

@ guest0101

Native FLAC support is planned for a future release, but in the meantime there is absolutely nothing wrong with the excellent FLAC plugin, which is a simple case of just downloading and running the installer.

@ ckjnigel

Re: he-aac in mp4/m4a container
I guess "little" players don't have to worry about things like potential licensing issues. There were a few complications/misunderstandings which have thankfully now been cleared up and resolved. The cause was also greatly helped by now having the likes of Tag Loomis and Ben Allison on the dev team.

Re: SingleGUI screen.maki
Got a link?

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #8
About this version's purported HE-AAC playback support...
Why has it been so difficult for them to provide this?  I mean, little XMplay has been doing this just fine for ages, and I've pretty much switched over to that.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348863"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

XMPlay doesn't support AAC for ages - we (actually Sebastian Andersson) had to write an AAC plugin for XMPlay and BASS to support AAC.

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #9
The full installer without Emusic:
http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/client...amp512_full.exe

Did you find this link somewhere or just manually edited the filename to get to it? I wonder if there's an installer without Predixis. Winamp is becoming too large and overloaded.

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #10

Did you find this link somewhere or just manually edited the filename to get to it? I wonder if there's an installer without Predixis. Winamp is becoming too large and overloaded.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351368"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe you can choose not to install the Predixis component during installation.
we was young an' full of beans

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #11
I believe you can choose not to install the Predixis component during installation.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351370"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That may be true, but I like small installers. :) 

This latest installer is some 20% larger than the previous v5 I used.

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #12
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351370"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That may be true, but I like small installers. 

This latest installer is some 20% larger than the previous v5 I used.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=351371"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True.
we was young an' full of beans

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #13

Well aren't we picky. 5,20MB takes forever to download doesn't it? And still people aren't complaining about the 100MB+ downloads just to get a minor update to the newest Nero 7
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #14
Well aren't we picky. 5,20MB takes forever to download doesn't it? And still people aren't complaining about the 100MB+ downloads just to get a minor update to the newest Nero 7
people are 'complaining'.
and the smallest possible download is always a plus. it saves bandwidth for consumers and providers alike so why not to be picky I ask? but yeah, ~5MB is not that much in the end.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #15

It's been that way for years unless of course they intentially don't want people to download the setup without bundled add-ons. Edit: To only get the full installer you just copy the download URL and then paste it into a text editor and then change the download filename to winamp###_full.exe, then you copy the edited filename and paste it into your browser address field.

As for Predixis and Emusic, etc., Winamp now creates an install.ini file located in the Winamp program folder, just install new versions over the existing one and the Winamp installer will only select the options you installed for the previous version. It makes sense to backup the install.ini file as well, just in case you wish to do clean installs of Winamp.

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #17
5.12 has a new CT  LC-AAC encoder.

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #19
5.13 is out now, the only change is a bugfix for the exploit.

Winamp 5.12 Released

Reply #20
HE-AAC decoding doesn't work properly in v5.13 when randomly seeking *.mp4 files I created in Nero 6.