Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar not recognising all id3 (1/2) tags! (Read 18705 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar not recognising all id3 (1/2) tags!

Reply #25
ok, now is there a way to get the mp3gain info out of the ape2 tag, and into the ide3v2?

that would be of no use, because this info is only for undo-purposes in mp3gain - mp3gain only looks for this "undo-information" in the apev2 tag..... so if you copy it manually to id3v2, then you just have a dead unused tag.

Official workaround: disable writing undo-information in mp3gain, and/or use foobar's replaygain instead if you want "non-destructive" volume-changes for your files.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #26
so, how can i remove the mp3gain apev2 tag info?

Reply #27
mp3gain has an option to remove its tags from the files.  It's in Options > Tags IIRC.

Reply #28
i do not have mp3Gain info in the files and still id3v2 info of some files is not being read.... i am using id3v1 and id3v2 ...... its only reading id3v1 info .....

Reply #29
So... uh... to use foobar2000, the option to use mp3Gain is out? Sweet.

ciaran

Reply #30
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227121"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, if you use APEv2 tags.

Reply #31
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227121"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, if you use APEv2 tags.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227248"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What if I can´t use APE tags, cos my portable player doesnt support it? Do I have any way to configure both MP3Gain AND foobar200 to use only ID3v2/1?

I already changed fb2k to *write*  only ID3v2/1. But is there *any* way to change the recedence orden when *reading* tags? (to something like ID3v2 -> ID3v1 -> APEv2, or simply ignoring APEv2?)

btw.. i dont need any undo info.. when i use mp3gain, im pretty sure about what im doing.. lol... anyway, if anything goes wrong, i always have the FLACs stored somewhere handy

Reply #32
It states that all other tags will be stripped, so once foobar re-writes the tags, the APEv2 tags will be deleted.

Steve

Reply #33
Is there a utility which can read my MP3s, tell me which data is in which tag type, and (ideally) remove tags?

Reply #34
Case's tag tends to be very powerfull for these kind of things.

It is available here.

Reply #35
I'm using Foobar for the first time and really like it, but ran into this problem this morning. All my MP3 files have only ID3v2 tags, and all have been through MP3Gain. In the end I decided to simply remove all MP3Gain tags and look into using Replaygian in Foobar instead. Maybe someone could point me to a guide that explains what Foobar is doing exactly when you use it to do a ReplayGain scan? Is it writing anything to the actual physical file, or only to a database somewhere? Couldn't find any info on either the Foobar or ReplayGain sites. Currently doing a search here on HA.org for the info, which is how I found this post.

Reply #36
Is it writing anything to the actual physical file, or only to a database somewhere?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236232"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you don't have your files blocked or read-only, the info is stored in a APEv2 tag (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Reply #37
Is it writing anything to the actual physical file, or only to a database somewhere?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236232"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you don't have your files blocked or read-only, the info is stored in a APEv2 tag (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236239"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for this info.

Now I have a new tag related problem with Foobar much the same as with the MP3Gained MP3's, lol. Playing around with FLAC again today, and used Tag&Rename to write tags to a bunch of FLAC's (EAC > WAV > FLAC via frontend). When I load them into Foobar, the tags aren't recognized.

Edit: Nevermind, the FLAC tags done in Tag&Rename are recognized. Didn't realize I had to play the files in order for the tags to properly be seen.

Reply #38
since this i have resorted to the following procedure:

- remove all tags using mp3tag.de
- rewrite all tags using the same program
- replaygain from foobar

no more problems..
except maybe my hdd is hickuping these days, got some strange behaviour with fb2k not wanting to read the tags from 1 album... strange..

btw, turn on all tag-compatibility in mp3tag, otherwise it skips ape tags i think..

oh yes double btw: don't forget to reload the file info in the database, this also happens when you play a file, that's why you see it change then...
[..:: West Coast Electro Sound of Holland ::..]

Reply #40
Digisurfer -

> Maybe someone could point me to a guide that explains what Foobar
> is doing exactly when you use it to do a ReplayGain scan?

I wrote a FAQ entry about this:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....topic=24527&hl=

HTH
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236398"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That explains a few other things I had been wondering about as well. Thanks Pootle!

Reply #41
That explains a few other things I had been wondering about as well. Thanks Pootle!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236422"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've updated that FAQ entry to reflect foobar2000's handling of tags.

Reply #42
You missed the part where combining tags is not "simple." DEATH expressed a lack of interest in doing this anyway. The source code is available if anyone else is interested.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=213658"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One solution to this would be to simply let users configure which tag type is read first.  That way people useing ID3v2 + MP3Gain could simply tell foobar to read the ID3v2 tag.  Then they could tell it to write APEv2 tags, thus correcting the problem of mixed APEv2 + ID3v2 tags.

I think it makes sense to let people choose which tags to read given that they also choose which tags to write.

Reply #43
I solved this problem easily using Case's Tag (http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/files - thanks
picmixer).  It needs a little knowledge how to run a program from DOS but that's all.  I
used Tag to copy all my ID3 tag data to APE tag data as described below.

*** WARNING ***  *** WARNING ***  *** WARNING ***  *** WARNING *** 
  This worked well for me with no problems.  You should copy a couple of
  directories of MP3s to a temporary location and try it out before
  processing squillions of terabytes of precious MP3s. That's what I did.
      *** WARNING ***  *** WARNING ***  *** WARNING ***  *** WARNING ***

1.  Unzip the file TAG.ZIP from http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/files into the root
    directory of your music files (G:\My Music in my case).

2.  Open up a DOS box in that directory.  You can do this by clicking Start > Run and
typing "cmd". A DOS box will open up.  It will have a prompt which will look
    something like: C:\>  At the prompt type YOUR equivalents of:   

C:\> G:                       
        G:\> cd "My Music"

4. At the DOS prompt type the following:       

G:\My Music>tag --force ape2 --force id3 --recursive *.mp3

5. Go and make a cup of tea while Tag works it's magic.

Tag will then read all the tags in your MP3s - ID3v1, ID3v2 and APE.  It will copy that
tag data to both the ID3v1 tag AND APE tag.  Tag will recurse all your directories,
processing all your MP3s.

When this has finished open up foobar and see if the ID3 tag data has reappeared.

Good luck.