Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is reporting my now playing info to Windows Live Messenger? (Read 3373 times) previous topic - next topic

What is reporting my now playing info to Windows Live Messenger?

Okay, so I have foobar2000 installed, version 1.1.6. Something that I have noticed is that it automatically reports my now playing information to Windows Live Messenger in the format: Artist - Title [Album].

I want to configure it so that it no longer displays the album, but I can't for the life of me figure out what program / component is doing it!

I have Last.fm and AMIP installed, but both of them have this disabled, and enabling it does not override the existing version and still displays the album.

Here's the list of currently installed components:

Reply #1
Last.fm client? You have the version of foo_audioscrobbler which reports to the client.

Reply #2
It's disabled in the Last.FM client options though.

Reply #3
Anyone got any clues? I'm lost here.

Reply #4
temporarily remove each of the capable components one at a time and you'll have your answer.

Reply #5
Perhaps it's something in the messenger which seeks for common media players and parses their window titles?

Reply #6
I also advise using marc2003's method of troubleshooting. Removing variables one by one will narrow down if not pinpoint the problem. I do this by temporarily renaming the component dll's, for example "foo_amipwrapper.dll" to "foo_amipwrapper.dll.off" (after closing fb2k). Component settings are saved in configuration files, and nothing will be lost when they are again renamed to original and returned to service.

The same can be done with the config files also, to see if resetting them from scratch changes behaviour.

Reply #7
Okay, I've somewhat figured it out. It's definitely to do with AMIP. I have the latest version of AMIP installed for foobar (and no other players), and I don't have the configurator installed because I have no need for it.

If I disable AMIP in the very small default configurator it stops sending song info to WLM, although of course it stops working in mIRC as well, which is where I want it to work.

I'm now a bit stuck really. I don't know how to get AMIP to stop reporting to WLM. I might try installing the configurator again and seeing if unticking the messenger option there helps.

Thanks for your help so far, I'm now one step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break to figuring this out.

[!--sizeo:4--][span style=\"font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\"][!--/sizeo--]EDIT:[/size] I've figured it out

Basically, AMIP by default will report to MSN/Windows Live Messenger in the format %artist% - %title% [%album%] and there is no way of turning it off. Stupidly, at first I was using the configurator for iTunes and that's why I didn't figure out this earlier. Installing the configurator for foobar2000 and unchecking "use alternative formatting" in the MSN Messenger tab will keep AMIP reporting, but in the format %artist% - %title%, so there's no need to install a separate plugin such as foo_wlm.

Just thought I'd clear that up in case anyone with the same problem stumbles across this thread in the future.

So thanks for your help everyone, because I don't think I'd have figured this out by myself. I'd probably just have given up