Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Horrible hissy background sound (Read 3382 times) previous topic - next topic

Horrible hissy background sound

I love foobar2000's simplicity and it's customisability, but the main thing that everyone seems to enjoy about it is that it delivers better sound quality than its rivals. However, it appears that this is not the case to me. Whenever I try to play a file in foobar2000, be it MP3, MPC, FLAC or WAV, there is a nasty hissy sound that makes the whole thing sound awfully tinny. I have no such problem when playing the same files in another program (Winamp, Windows Media Player).

I've tried fiddling with my equaliser and DSP settings (both in and out of foobar2000) to no avail.

A full list of any necessary system specs can be found here.

I would dearly appreciate any help you could offer.

Reply #1
What audio output are you using, and have you tried different ones?
Is over the of = % over 100

Reply #2
There are three, Primary Sound Driver, nForce audio (emulated) and Modem #2 Line Playback. The first two are the same, and the third one does not work.

Reply #3
Try disabling replaygain. That may be it.  Or, update your audio drivers.

Reply #4
I have also tried both of those, with no effect.

Reply #5
I have also tried both of those, with no effect.

What's output data format are you using at 'Preferences > Playback > Output'? If it's 8-bit, change it to 16-bit.

Please also have a look at the FAQ regarding your statement regarding audio quality in your initial post.

Reply #6
I have tried that, and those things listed in the FAQ, all without consequence.

Reply #7
I have tried that, and those things listed in the FAQ, all without consequence.

I'm assuming that you had 8-bit output format selected (since you've tried to change it). You'll need to restart playback for the changes to take effect.

Reply #8
Again, I have tried that, also without any result.