Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some AAC/M4A files not recognized (Read 2921 times) previous topic - next topic

Some AAC/M4A files not recognized

Some files of the bleep.com podcast are not recognized by F2k. iTunes and vlc does play them just fine.

Bleep.com podcast
#001: plays in F2k, but embedded art not shown
#002: broken in F2k
#041: plays without problems in F2k
#042: broken in F2k

Any pointers?

Cheers.

Reply #1
i expect the m4a file contains other streams than just audio and that's why foobar won't play it. you could use something like yamb&mp4box to extract the audio and put in a new m4a container or just continue to use other players.

Reply #2
i expect the m4a file contains other streams than just audio and that's why foobar won't play it

The files that do play in F2k seem to have the same multiple streams too (video:jpeg/audio:aac/text/text).

Reply #3
This is just lazy on the part of Bleep and not altogether surprising.  Just tested one of the broken mixes, with Yamb + mp4box you can extract the audio stream to a new mp4/m4a which will play in foobar.

Reply #4
What about 88.2-kHz AAC-LC? It seems that's not supported by fb. I encoded this 88.2-kHz sample with the latest Winamp at 320 kb stereo, and when trying to play it in fb v1.1.10, I get the message "Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file): ..."

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.