Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PX100 dissapointing? (Read 10207 times) previous topic - next topic

PX100 dissapointing?

I read, read, and read more reviews, opionions, threads etc. about under $100 headphones and FINALLY decided to go with PX100s. 

My "reference" home headphones are AKG K 340 and for normal computer use I've been using JVC HA-D590.

I tried using some really cheap closed Sony headphones and they were absolute garbage compared to the JVCs so I just threw those away.  I don't have any complains with the AKGs other than being hard to drive.

I've got a wife and kid and wanted non-closed headphones to use at home so I can hear them without them having to scream loudly.  I'm also recently on a low budget so it seemed like there were a few or so good choices: PX100, Porta Pros, etc...

After listening to the PX100s for a while I thought they're lovely for most classical music, clear pleasant highs, nice bass you can feel...  But with rock? music, particularly male vocals like say Billy Joel, I felt like it was really lacking in that range, almost as if the singer had been moved back behind the rest of the band or such.

Then when I got home and tried the PX100s with some games like Quake 3 then  OMG they were GARBAGE    the bass is rumbly distorted, almost like I'm listening through my nose instead of my ears it's so bad.  I'm confused why it could be so terrible after reading so many glowing recomendations for these.

They were plugged into the amplified headphone output on my polkaudio PC speakers.  I haven't tried the AKG K 340s on that output yet, I guess I should get a 1/8th to 1/4 stero plug adaptor so I can compare, but the JVCs sound just fine (not inspiring, just OK) there.

If it wasn't for the terrible sound when used with the game I like to play a lot, the PX100s would be acceptable for what I want to use them for, and actually quite pleasant with some music.  I wonder if any inexpensive open headphones sound good with a game like Quake 3?

And I have to say, I was expecting a lot more inspiring sound from these when used for listening to .mp3s...

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #1
I really love my Senn HD-280 Pros.  The fact that they're closed cut out so much sound, they feel blessedly clean.  And powerful.

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #2
How do they sound when you connect them directly to your soundcard? I think the speakerset might be the cause of your problem.

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #3
I have the PX100! They are only good for listening music! Pretty nice phone for the money. I think the AKG K24P/K26P are not bad but I will recommend Audio-Technica ATH-T44 Headphones. I bought this phone from warehouse123.com, and all I can say is "wow". I can't believe these headphones cost under $50.
It is great that Kobe is giving the ball to his teammates!

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #4
I have the PX100s too. I am very happy with them. But what do I know? I bought a pair of Shure E2Cs and I hated them! They probably didn't fit my ears or I dunno what was wrong, but they sounded worse then some junk, nameless $10 earphones! Seriously - for me, the PX100s are better.

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #5
I actually use PX100 for my traveling needs and I am quite happy with them (folding design is quite nice and handy).

They replaced ageing traveling Sony Streetstyle MDR-G72's which I used for 6 years (few pieces) - they seem to be much better than Sony ones (but it is a different price range, too)

Inhouse, I am still happy with good ole' HD590s

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #6
I can't say I loved the PX100 for music (good portable, though) but it more than sufficed for games--upgrading to Grados barely effected my Quake 4 romping at all, especially compared to getting an EAX compatible soundcard.

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #7
The Koss KSC-35 and KSC-75 (both clip-on style) are very well liked and recommended on head-fi.org. 

I have a pair of KSC-35's, and they sound great.  Though the 35's only seem to be available from the Creative Labs store on ebay (maybe elsewhere also), because they're no longer made.  And, for this reason, they are only $10.  No, I'm not crazy; check some other opinions. 

Anyway, reading head-fi is extremely helpful for anything related to headphones, portables, cables, amplification, etc.

...But you weren't asking about portable headphones.  That's just what comes to mind when I see "PX-100".

Sennheiser HD-580's are down to $150.  I got mine from J&R.  And many people love Grados, available at many price points.
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #8
I also own the PX 100's and I agree with your critique fully.  It has bloated bass, excessively emphasized mids and next to no heights.  I've tried it with different sources (headphone amps, direct connection to portable cd players and the Ipod Shuffle) and it doesn't sound good in either of those. 

Maybe a newbie to the audiophile arena may be impressed by the 100's, but it pales in comparison to the Grado SR-60's (which seems to be its closest competitor).  Now, don't run out and buy those either.  Although they have better articulation of the highs and the bass is better controlled, the highs are very shrill.  And I mean shrill to the point where they are almost unbearble at times.  But it seems that that is a quality that absolves itself with enough hours of burn in.

If you're really looking for good recommendations on headphones, head over to head-fi.org and do a search or a new post.  Someone will be able to help you out.  Also, shopping at headphone.com  would be a great idea too, since they have a 30-day return policy.

As for myself, I'm thinking about getting me a pair of the AKG 240S, which might fall into the category of what you're looking for.

Peace.

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #9
Maybe the problem stems from Quake3? I never quite liked the sound of Quake3. I just tried with my PX100s and it doesn't sound too pleasant (not as bad as you describe though, but that's subjectivity for you). I think they overdid it in the bass department, maybe to compensate for crappy speakers, which were more common in "those days". When I play over my speakers it shakes down the house.

When I'm on the go, I love these phones.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']edit: pleasent -> pleasant %-)[/span]

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #10
I also own the PX 100's and I agree with your critique fully.  It has bloated bass, excessively emphasized mids and next to no heights.  I've tried it with different sources (headphone amps, direct connection to portable cd players and the Ipod Shuffle) and it doesn't sound good in either of those. 

Maybe a newbie to the audiophile arena may be impressed by the 100's, but it pales in comparison to the Grado SR-60's (which seems to be its closest competitor).  Now, don't run out and buy those either.  Although they have better articulation of the highs and the bass is better controlled, the highs are very shrill.  And I mean shrill to the point where they are almost unbearble at times.  But it seems that that is a quality that absolves itself with enough hours of burn in.

If you're really looking for good recommendations on headphones, head over to head-fi.org and do a search or a new post.  Someone will be able to help you out.  Also, shopping at headphone.com  would be a great idea too, since they have a 30-day return policy.

As for myself, I'm thinking about getting me a pair of the AKG 240S, which might fall into the category of what you're looking for.

Peace.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=358428"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, it was because of a bunch of posts I read on those forums that I got these PX100s in the first place.  I can't stand harsh highs, so thanks for pointing out that about the Grado 60s, which I might have gotten except I was hoping to spend less than $50 as see no need for anything better than the old AKG K 340s I have, I just wanted an inexpensive OPEN alternative so I can hear wife/kid if they need me for something.  I might also use them for portable use, but that would be secondary.

Hmm ~ thanks for the tip about the 240s, I just read a little about them and will read some more.

Here's a pair (new) for $89 shipped: ebay item # 7383226923  I want to buy it, but can't spend $90 right now  doh!

Maybe the problem stems from Quake3? I never quite liked the sound of Quake3. I just tried with my PX100s and it doesn't sound too pleasant (not as bad as you describe though, but that's subjectivity for you). I think they overdid it in the bass department, maybe to compensate for crappy speakers, which were more common in "those days". When I play over my speakers it shakes down the house.

Oh good, some confirmation...  Well if I play Quake 3 with my AKG K 340s it sounds great, maybe bass heavy, but not muddy and muffled like with the PX100s.

I bet if you listened to my PX100s hooked up to my PC playing the Quake 3 mod that I play (Urban Terror) you would prob. say they sound like crap/garbage or something along those lines.

Two of my headphones sound great/fine with Quake 3, but they're both full size and both closed.

Maybe inexpensive (under $50) open headphones that sound good - great with Quake 3 simply don't exist?

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #11
Well, it was because of a bunch of posts I read on those forums that I got these PX100s in the first place.  I can't stand harsh highs, so thanks for pointing out that about the Grado 60s, which I might have gotten except I was hoping to spend less than $50 as see no need for anything better than the old AKG K 340s I have, I just wanted an inexpensive OPEN alternative so I can hear wife/kid if they need me for something.

Sony MDR-CD580. A pretty *nuetral headphone overall. Will sound pretty good on most things. Nothing spectacular; but excellent for the price bracket. Construction quality is average for this price bracket=cheaply made. Open back, if I remember correctly. The price is a little over your stated limit. It's about $90. But I think it this headphone would not do you wrong. You'll have to look around for it; it's discontinued, but still available at some [1]places. You might have to go with a classified ad or ebay if you want the lowest price.

*My reference of nuetral is the MDR-7506, which I have compared A/B with live sound sources for midrange/treble tonality accuracy, using two omnipolar linear response measurment microphones placed about 4-5' apart, standing between the two microphones, comparing the live feed and live sound that is being picked up to each other. In this circumstance, the MDR-7506 sounds almost exactly like the live sources, in midrange and treble tonality.

-Chris

[1] http://www.hometheaterplus.com/sony-mdr-cd580.html

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #12
Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but are the PX100 related to Sennheiser's PMX 100? Code numbers are hard to follow when they are this similar.
Join //spreadopenmedia.com to promote Opus, Vorbis, FLAC, etc

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #13
Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but are the PX100 related to Sennheiser's PMX 100? Code numbers are hard to follow when they are this similar.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=358631"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

PMX-100 have a different design but I guess both PMX-100 and PX100 share the same drive units.
It is great that Kobe is giving the ball to his teammates!

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #14
How comfortable are PMX-type headphones? I mean, headphones that go behind the back of your head, instead classic desing over the head. I have never tried these kind. Are they suitable for people that wear glasses?

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #15
How comfortable are PMX-type headphones? I mean, headphones that go behind the back of your head, instead classic desing over the head. I have never tried these kind. Are they suitable for people that wear glasses?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=359170"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wear glasses, so they suit me fine.

The only unconfortable moment I had so far was when I tried to lie down my head on a pillow, so that I could rest a bit with a few soft tunes in the "background"; didn't work.

Also, I don't find my PMX-100 disappointing. Quite the contrary; they have been the best headphone set I've ever tried. They sound natural, clean, and awesome. Although, keep in mind I've never tested anything else above the 40€ line.

Edit: Sorry for the late reply. I didn't even notice the date.
Join //spreadopenmedia.com to promote Opus, Vorbis, FLAC, etc

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #16
Saoshyant, absolutely fine, sometimes old threads are good. 

I've setup a new PC and happened to try my PX 100's again (plugged directly into the jack on the front of the PC which connects to the motherboard) and it was so bass heavy, rumbly and awful it made me run to me open my "Sound" settings to change the EQ.  Unfortunately, I find that Windows 8 does not come with an equalizer!          !!!  I am so mad at Microsoft at this moment - I wish I could slap them and force them to give me Media Center because that is apparently what is needed to get the Windows Equalizer back in my Sound properties?  So annoying, I "upgraded" from Windows 7 which included this feature and more and more each day that I use Windows 8, I feel it is more of a downgrade than an upgrade. 

Ok, enough ranting, back to the original topic somewhat: my wife has been using Koss KTXPro1 headphones for a couple years on her PC so I decided to try those.  They sound just about as bass-heavy as the PC100s, but they sound slightly less distorted.  Still, not even close to usable for gaming headphones.

Now I have to find a 3rd party equalizer that plugs itself into the Sound properties in the Control Panel...  In the mean time, I should be receiving a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones soon to replace my cheap old JVC HA-D590's that I am using for gaming because if I'm not laying down listening to music I want something a little lighter than my AKG-340 (which, in addition to being a little heavy, also happen to be a little too lose because the elastic is too old).

I still like the PX 100's for portable music use, also decent for watching movies on an Android tablet/phone.  I wonder if the Koss Porta-Pros are better able to handle the bass without sounding over-driven?

Is the bass output cut on all these portable devices or something?  I just don't understand why they are so bass-heavy and overloaded with these PC games but sound decent for music on the go.  I may have to do some frequency measurements on the output of my PC + phones/tablets out of curiosity...

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #17

I've setup a new PC and happened to try my PX 100's again (plugged directly into the jack on the front of the PC which connects to the motherboard) and it was so bass heavy, rumbly and awful it made me run to me open my "Sound" settings to change the EQ.  Unfortunately, I find that Windows 8 does not come with an equalizer!          !!!  I am so mad at Microsoft at this moment - I wish I could slap them and force them to give me Media Center because that is apparently what is needed to get the Windows Equalizer back in my Sound properties?  So annoying, I "upgraded" from Windows 7 which included this feature and more and more each day that I use Windows 8, I feel it is more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

OK, although I'm on Win 7 x64, I'll try to offer some help.

The first thing that springs to mind is to ask you if you are using the sound card driver downloaded from the audio chip maker, eg, Realtek, as you state 'connects to the motherboard'. If so, does an EQ not exisit in the sound manager? If it's the driver that got installed automatically by Microsoft when you installed Win 8, I'd advise you to download and install the latest from your audio chipset maker (not necessarily from your mobo maker as those drivers can often be older versions).

The other thing is, do you have a front panel audio jack? if so, try plugging in to that as onboard sound cards can sometimes produce different sound plugging into the front audio (headphones) than the rear (speakers). I'd recommend the front jack and in the sound manager choose 'headphones' over 2 channel speakers. Again, you'll need the non-microsoft provided driver.

Hopes this helps.

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #19
Unfortunately, I find that Windows 8 does not come with an equalizer!

?

Windows has never had an built-in equalizer.

As stated, Microsoft's OWN driver won't give you advanced sound card settings, but the one from the motherboard maker or audio chipset maker will, one of which is an eq.

Quick Google search ... what's this? http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/medium/525033/realtek_201741.jpg or this: http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/375...tml#post1915339

This has always been the case for as long as I remember, both using Realtek and VIA audio chipset drivers.

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #20
It’s not your place to arbitrate which posts are or are not appropriate. Saoshyant is unlikely to care about your approval owing to not having posted since 2008. Did you notice that his/her bump was only after a month? Yours is seven years late. Which makes this quote seem like an attempt to reassure yourself.

PX100 dissapointing?

Reply #21
In my opinion, PX 100 is utter waste of money (garbage). I'm not sure what Sennheiser was after with these but it was likely Koss Porta Pro (and they failed because Porta Pro's bass is smooth and pleasant, unlike that of PX 100).
I have sold my unit because I could not bear that horrendous bass.