Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do smartphone need an external amp to make it sound better? (Read 4059 times) previous topic - next topic

Do smartphone need an external amp to make it sound better?

So do I need an amp for my smartphone? Does it make sound better? I have LG G3 and ATH - IM 50. I need help and if it was needed i was xonsidering hippo cricri? How is that?
I will think about tomorrow's problem tomorrow

Re: Do smartphone need an external amp to make it sound better?

Reply #1
You don't need an amp for a smartphone unless it can't play as loud as you would like with the headphones you're using.

Reply #2
You don't need an amp for a smartphone unless it can't play as loud as you would like with the headphones you're using.
ok thanks

Reply #3
Depending on the headphone output circuit of your device, there is a possibility of reduced bass response into low impedance headphones. An external amplifier could help this. I don't know if that applies to your case.

Reply #4
Depending on the headphone output circuit of your device, there is a possibility of reduced bass response into low impedance headphones. An external amplifier could help this. I don't know if that applies to your case.

Probably not. Smartphones are designed to use their included in-ear headsets, and those are often 32Ω or 16Ω.

Reply #5
Most smartphones these days have a lower output impedance than many high end amplifiers of a few years back. 

The main limitation is just voltage, since they tend to use relatively low maximum volumes for power saving reasons (3.3v amps use significantly more power than when run at 2.5 or 1.8 V).

Reply #6
I was not that concerned with output impedance. That only matters if the impedance of the headphone varies a lot with frequency.

The problem is that sometimes a capacitor is used for DC blocking, and if its value is too small then you get rolloff in frequency response at the low end. A good design uses an H bridge drive to the headphone, which also effectively doubles the output voltage.

Reply #7
Carrying around an amp because every bscrazy audiophile forum and publication told you your smart phone couldn't cut it?

You might as well go back to 1975:
http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/astraltune-stereopack-circa-1975?nc=1

If I knew for certain that my headphones didn't work properly with my smartphone I wouldn't get an amplifier, I'd buy a different pair!

To quote kohlrabi:
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #8
To quote kohlrabi:

A lot of people seem to think that the effort you have to expend is directly proportional to the resulting sound quality.

See also: Hilariously overwrought LAME command lines with every single option specified to be slightly non-standard.

Reply #9
Or that lossy codecs have some type of characteristic equalization such as this nonsense post:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=111103.msg915204#msg915204

Reply #10

Probably not. Smartphones are designed to use their included in-ear headsets, and those are often 32Ω or 16Ω.
i dont use the included in-ear earbud since it sucks. I use ATH - IM 50 and it has 10 ohm impedance.

Reply #11
Well, according to these measurments, the LG G3 has an average output impedance of 1.4 Ω which is just barely low enough for your IEM to respect the "1/8 rule" (see explanation here : http://nwavguy.blogspot.fr/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html).

But I'd say it your setup sounds fine to you, then you're fine and don't need anything else.

If not, and if you're certain your IEM sound different on a source which you know for a fact has a lower output impendance than your G3, then the low input impedance of your IEM might be the problem. But as others have said, I'd just buy an IEM pair with a slightly higher input impedance then, rather than an amp.
If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Reply #12
Well, according to these measurments, the LG G3 has an average output impedance of 1.4 Ω which is just barely low enough for your IEM to respect the "1/8 rule" (see explanation here : http://nwavguy.blogspot.fr/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html).

But I'd say it your setup sounds fine to you, then you're fine and don't need anything else.

If not, and if you're certain your IEM sound different on a source which you know for a fact has a lower output impendance than your G3, then the low input impedance of your IEM might be the problem. But as others have said, I'd just buy an IEM pair with a slightly higher input impedance then, rather than an amp.
I dont have money to buy a new pair. Buying amp is cheaper than buying a new pair

Reply #13
And sticking with what you have is cheaper than either.

Reply #14
To quote kohlrabi:

A lot of people seem to think that the effort you have to expend is directly proportional to the resulting sound quality.

I'm certain of it, as long as one adds the word perceived. Works for me! Or I should say, "works" for me. It's like that McGurk effect:  I can fool myself even when I know I am fooling myself.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #15
An external amp usually double amps anyway. And most smartphones are decent. But if you need extra volume, get a ccMoy or something.
AVI ADM 9RS | HD 650 | HD 598 | Asus Essence One Muses Edition DAC & HA | Garage1217.com Project Ember HA | Asus STX DAC & HA | Fiio E12 | iDevices

To get added to my Whatsapp Audiophilia group, PM me!