Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC limited to 2G? (Read 6987 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC limited to 2G?

Hi,

has anyone succeeded in having the official FLAC encoder encode a file >2G when feeding it through a pipe (like with foobar2000)? Foobar2000 seems to claim the encoder exits, and when I check the file it's always exactly when the resulting file is 2G large.

FLACCl doesn't have this problem, it merrily encodes 4G+ FLACs.

FLAC limited to 2G?

Reply #1
Scratch that, the FLACCl encode is also corrupted:

Item: "D:\Music\Lossless\Czech National Symphony Orchestra - Musopen Kickstarter Project.flac"
MD5: 0C4EA858945C66C92FB498185D67BFC8
CRC32: B878E778
Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 8:40:19.179771 vs 8:40:18.241104 decoded
Error: Corrupted FLAC stream
Error: MD5 mismatch

1 item could not be correctly decoded.

List of undecodable items:
"D:\Music\Lossless\Czech National Symphony Orchestra - Musopen Kickstarter Project.flac"

FLAC limited to 2G?

Reply #3
Thanks. Any hopes of getting this vital fix in the official release? Or should FLAC be considered abandonware?

FLAC limited to 2G?

Reply #4
I have not seen josh around for quite sometime...and emails now go unanswered, does anyone know his were abouts? even if only to pass FLAC management onto some people who can continue.

FLAC limited to 2G?

Reply #5
From January 2012 FLAC is being maintained by Erik de Castro Lopo under the auspices of the Xiph.org Foundation.

Taken from

https://github.com/crrodriguez/flac

...but I guess this guy does not have the access to flac.soureforge.net

FLAC limited to 2G?

Reply #6
From January 2012 FLAC is being maintained by Erik de Castro Lopo under the auspices of the Xiph.org Foundation.

Taken from

https://github.com/crrodriguez/flac

...but I guess this guy does not have the access to flac.soureforge.net

The Xiph.org site links to the old FLAC pages, so no sign of any fixes or anything. That new maintainer also hasn't been very supportive of Windows in the past, so I don't hold high hopes: http://www.mega-nerd.com/erikd/Blog/CodeHa...e/foobar2k.html

Unfortunately WavPack also has issues with >4G files, unless I'm mistaken and those have been fixed in the mean time.

FLAC limited to 2G?

Reply #7
Unfortunately WavPack also has issues with >4G files, unless I'm mistaken and those have been fixed in the mean time.

Have you tried using TAK with such files? Also, Bryant said that he'd be patching WavPack to allow usage with large files.

FLAC limited to 2G?

Reply #8

Have you tried using TAK with such files? Also, Bryant said that he'd be patching WavPack to allow usage with large files.

I didn't find any relevant info in the WavPack changelog on the site, so I suppose it still doesn't work.

TAK is closed source and only works on Unixes through wine, so it's quite useless for me.

FLAC limited to 2G?

Reply #9
I believe eac3to.exe is able to encode large FLAC files.

FLAC limited to 2G?

Reply #10
I didn't find any relevant info in the WavPack changelog on the site, so I suppose it still doesn't work.

Hi Garf. Two years ago I created a new development branch of WavPack in SVN here for the explicit purpose of getting past the 2GB / 4GB barrier. It’s actually a decent amount of work because it’s not just handling the large files. It’s also being able to read and write the corresponding formats that can deal with the extra samples (CAF, W64, etc.) because I don’t think that just having huge WAV files with invalid headers is acceptable.

Anyway, I made significant progress (it currently works great with CAF files), but never got the time to finish it up and release it. I have put aside some time later this year to get it out.