Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Distortion with EAC (Read 4926 times) previous topic - next topic

Distortion with EAC

Distortion with EAC

I am ripping LP`s to wave files and then on to CD`s. Having problems with the wave file if using EAC V0.95, files ok for first few minutes then horrible distortion sets in

I have set EAC up as per website advice

Everything is ok if I use Creative Wave studio then use EAC to process wave make a cue sheet and burn to CD

I have Windows XP Pro, everything was ok when I tried this 12 months ago with Windows ME

Should I use an older version of EAC

Help needed

Ronnie

Distortion with EAC

Reply #1
i'm confused.  why do you need EAC if you're capturing LPs?

surely you can just use a burning prog to burn the wav files to CD

Distortion with EAC

Reply #2
To get rid of the clicks at the beginning and end of each LP side as the stylus is lowered ,because it easier than trying to do this any other way

Distortion with EAC

Reply #3
i'm confused.  why do you need EAC if you're capturing LPs?

surely you can just use a burning prog to burn the wav files to CD

It's because burning programs don't have functions like secure ripping and advanced error correction. If you have a scratched audio cd and you'll want to rip it then you will know why to use programs like EAC

Distortion with EAC

Reply #4
And also you need a cue sheet for track numbers on Cd otherwise you get 1 continous wave file

Distortion with EAC

Reply #5
I am ripping LP`s to wave files and then on to CD`s. Having problems with the wave file if using EAC V0.95, files ok for first few minutes then horrible distortion sets in

Are you ripping via CD, or capturing records via line-in?

If it's line-in your using the distortion problem could be from having the line-in levels too loud, some commercial software states to record it as close to 0db or -1db, or -2db as possible, however I found out recently when recording all of my old cassettes that causes distortion and clipping.

One solution is to WaveGain the distorted files, or to lower the line-in volume level to a point where it doesn't distort, and cause clipping.

Edit: Fixed sentence structure, it made no sense.

Distortion with EAC

Reply #6
I was informed that Exact Audio Copy pre-beta versions, including the latest, are buggy and unstable.  It was suggested to me to download and use the older EAC version 0.9 beta 4 instead.  You can download Exact Audio Copy version 0.9 beta 4 here.

Also, if you are downgrading to that version, make sure to uninstall the newer version and then delete the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AWSoftware, before you install the 0.9 beta 4 version.

Distortion with EAC

Reply #7
I was informed that Exact Audio Copy pre-beta versions, including the latest, are buggy and unstable.  It was suggested to me to download and use the older EAC version 0.9 beta 4 instead.  You can download Exact Audio Copy version 0.9 beta 4 here.

These prebeta versions seems to be stable for most people here...

Distortion with EAC

Reply #8
@beduch

Could you post us more info about your config of EAC? Then we will be able help you more.

Distortion with EAC

Reply #9
I am using Line in but the levels are not to high, they peak at about 49% and I have to use wavegain to increase the volume before I burn to CD

Distortion with EAC

Reply #10
I used the set up as described on this site

Extraction method Secure mode nothing ticked in boxes

Drive Read command MMC 1 Offset nothing ticked in boxes

Offset/Speed Use combined read/write sample offset correction value
Speed selection Actual Allow speed reduction during extraction

Gap Detection  Detection method A
Inaccurate

Writer  0 Write sample offset

Drive is able to write UPC/ISRC
Drive is able to write CD-Text

Distortion with EAC

Reply #11

Please don't spread these myths. The latest EAC is stable all across the board.

Distortion with EAC

Reply #12
I used the set up as described on this site

Extraction method Secure mode nothing ticked in boxes

Drive Read command MMC 1 Offset nothing ticked in boxes

Offset/Speed Use combined read/write sample offset correction value
Speed selection Actual Allow speed reduction during extraction

Gap Detection   Detection method A
Inaccurate

Writer   0 Write sample offset

Drive is able to write UPC/ISRC
Drive is able to write CD-Text

None of those settings will matter if yu are recording from line-in, they are for ripping from CDs (unless I am very confused...)

Distortion with EAC

Reply #13
Point taken just got carried away but still have the problem to distortion but not with other software and I would rather use EAC

Distortion with EAC

Reply #14
Please don't spread these myths. The latest EAC is stable all across the board.

... Okie dokie.  I had no intention of spreading myths, I was just going by what I read on a web site and was told by a friend.  My apologies.  I suppose I'll go uninstall the older version then and re-install the newest one.

Distortion with EAC

Reply #15
Having done this many times before I suggest using something rather more suitable for the job i.e CoolEdit Pro or Goldwave. Assuming you won't be doing this too often then I'd plump for Goldwave - it's a well featured piece of music editing software that is great for recording from various sources, filtering out noise, slicing/splitting resultant files and doing a multitude of other editing jobs. I use both pieces of software - CoolEdit is expensive, Goldwave isn't - both do some aspects better than the other but both make the process relatively painless and give excellent results. EAC is less than optimal because it doesn't contain the functionality needed to do a good job - if all you want to do is make a straight non-optimised recording then EAC will suffice.

Assuming you are inputting your sound via line-in and not the mic' socket (mic inputs are pretty poor in terms of noise/performance compared to a proper line-in) then ensure your peak recording levels do not exceed -6 to -3dB. Once you have recorded your master then use the above software (Goldwave or CooleEdit) to set the desired amplification, to split the files, filter out clicks/pops etc.

HTH.

Nige.

Distortion with EAC

Reply #16
I really don`t need all the facilities you mention as I use a very high quality record deck, cartridge, arm and pre amp.
The resulting quality wave file does not need manipulating, as I said originally the problem is when I use EAC to save the wave file, but does not happen with other software
I just want EAC to work